Lexus IS Forum banner

Which Header to go with... Megan, HPracing, or JVT?

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  diegolex 
#1 ·
what would give me the best performance, sound, and have the best durability/reliability?

#2 ·
Megan and HP are the same only under another brand, these are the only headers i would get beside the mazzuri... i wouldnt trust theses ebay headers

#3 ·
All of those are POS's. Get Mazzuri or Toyomoto. Maybe the OBX/Turboeast short tube header. But I guess to answer your question, Megan is the only one out of the one's you've listed that I've heard good things about. Search YouTube.

#5 ·
my megan headers kick ass. the only other one i would pick would be the mazzuri headers. I think that the mazzuri headers are probably the best, but cost quite allot.

#7 ·
i heard about fitment problems with the JVT and Megan...well just the o2 bung closet to the firewall?

i have the OBX shorty and Alphawerks...yes i have 2 IS300's and they both work great....if i could afford it id buy the Mazzuri also

#9 ·
as far as equal length runners yes...but Mazzuri comes with the y-pipe all integrated....Toyomoto u can use any y-pipe

#12 ·
#13 ·
an opinion based on practical experience of almost all headers avail for thsi car for less than $450 new...:

There is virtually no difference between the verious long runner standard headers like AlphaWerks, HP racing, Obx, Megan, Pro 1, etcetc.... they are almost all identical...

& unless you are going to really maximize a NA setup with additional parts and upgrades...there is really no need to spend much more than $350-$400 bux on ANY header brand new... the difference in power amongst ALL of them is maybe 8-10 RWHP...

I'd be willing to bet $100 bux that 90% of the people on this board could hardly feel a 10HP improvement....what you will feel is the torque difference the header produces vs stock......

All of them will feel slower off the line cause they produce less torque at low RPM than the stock header does... but they will be be much better/faster up in 4th -5th gear over 4kRPM where they actually are breathing much better & taking advantage of the increased flow at higher RPM

So... if you are really into maximising your 3rd- 4th & 5th gear runs to redline... any $350 dollar Header/Y pipe will do....

& i have purchased SEVERAL headers off ebay from OBX/ Pro 1/ Toyomoto/ HP racing etc.. over the last 6 years.... and they have all been fine...virtually identical, not optimized etc...but a decent improvement over stock for sure... I never had any fitment issues or problems with any of them at all... as long as it is a decent fairly recognizeable brand you will be fine...

best bet,... grab a used Megan or what ever & slip it in... even better... for the best low end power with a relatively inexpensive header... get an OBX shorty header... in my testing it produced the best low end torque than ANY of the longer runner headers out. The top end will be about 4-5 HP less... but i dont drive around at 4500-5500RPM all day long so that was no worry to me...

You will have to find a used "shorty" since OBX have farmed out their
Production to who ever is making all the long runner headers in China & they dont make the shorty any more... it was definitely more expensive to produce.

look around it is DEFINITELY worth it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.