Lexus IS Forum banner

How To: Replacing Side Mirror Puddle Lights w/ PICS!

37K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  randy.mc007 
#1 ·
While I realize that yanking off the mirror is probably the easiest way to go about this procedure, I personally did not want to try that method after reading about some members cracking their mirrors when putting it back on.

The following is the method of swapping out the puddle lamps that I found to be the easiest and safest way. However results may vary, so please don’t be mad at me if you break something :).

Step 1: Position the mirror as follows to expose the bottom outside screw.

Step 2: Use a long phillips head screw driver as follows to the loosen screw. (Note: It might help to stand up and apply pressure to the back of the mirror housing, so you can press the screw driver firmly to prevent stripping the screw head.)

Step 3: Position the mirror as follows to expose the top outside screw.

Step 4: Use a long phillips head screwdriver as follows to the loosen screw. (Note: It might help to stand up and apply pressure to the back of the mirror housing, so you can press the screw driver firmly to prevent stripping the screw head.)

Step 5: Now that you have both outside screws removed, use a plastic prying tool, such as a credit card to separate the housing halves slightly as shown below.

Step 6: Once the housing has been separated, maneuver the puddle lamp assembly out as follows.

Step: 7: Twist off the puddle lamp housing and replace the bulb with a 194 style bulb of your choice.

Step 8: Double check to make sure the bulb lights up properly before reassembling.

Step 9: Step back and enjoy the finished product!

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah they are high powered flanks, but from warden_jp2002 on ebay instead of vleds. looks to be exactly the same thing to me at half the price, haha.

yeah i thought about popping off the mirror several times, but waht can i say, i am a wuss. :blush:

#7 ·
haha unfortunately i didnt get a chance to do side by side comparison shots, but if you use that exact bulb i put in, i would say they are pretty throw down about the same amount of light. not sure about other styles leds though, these are the only ones i've used.

#37 ·
The first post in this thread tells you how to do it. The pictures don't work, but the process is very similar on all the Lexus/Toyota with similar mirrors. So you can look it up on youtube. I did it on my 2016 Lexus and it wasn't too hard. The hardest part was prying off the mirror glass.
Reason I asked is the mirror is different. I have a small screw near my puddle light that other is350s' do not - as best I can tell. I'm not real mechanically inclined. I have the 2014 is350 convertible which has the 2013 body style.