Lexus IS Forum banner

How To: Change oil in the IS 350

100K views 73 replies 59 participants last post by  Shahryar 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's a quick guide to changing your oil on the 2nd gen IS. I'm not sure if there are any differences for the AWD model. These notes and pics are taken from my IS 350. Also note that I've never changed a drop of oil in my life. I was a bit intimidated getting underway but I've done some research on the boards and I had all the tools lined up. I knew what to expect also. It took me a bit longer that it would have if I had done this a few times before but I'll probably be able to whittle that time down by half next time around. Consider this a "dummies guide to changing oil on the IS 250/350".

Oil (6.7 quarts 5W20) (EDIT: TSB indicated to use 5W20 versus 5W30... http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Lexus/1143619200000_1144652400000_EG006-06/6.html - this is the case for the 350, but not sure about 250. Maybe someone can verify whether this TSB applies to the 250), Oil Filter Kit (TOYOTA PART #04152-31080 (for IS 350) ), 3/8" ratchet, 10mm socket, 14mm socket, oil filter wrench (TOYOTA PART #09228-06501), ramps or jack/jack stands, oil disposal reservoir, paper towels, latex gloves, funnel

2 (out of 10)

30 minutes (if you've done it before) or 45-60 minutes(if you haven't)
  1. Get your car up, whether it's on ramps (pictured below) or using a jack and jack stands. Make sure you're on a level surface withe parking brake engaged. I went so far as to put wheel chocks underneath the back tires. If you user a jack, MAKE SURE YOU USE JACK STANDS. My suggestion is to go down to WalMart and buy these Rhino ramps (~$20)

2. Open the hood and loosen the oil cap.

3. Crawl underneath and using your 3/8" ratchet and 10mm socket remove the three bolts that fasten the access panel.

4. Next, locate the drain plug. It's a about a foot further toward the rear of the car. Position your oil reservoir below the drain plug. Using your 3/8" ratchet and 14mm socket loosen and remove the drain plug letting the oil drain into the oil reservoir. (This is where the latex gloves come in handy ;-)

5. Once the oil has completely drained, replace the drain plug and torque 30 lb/ft
  6. Position the oil reservoir under the filter housing. Using your 3/8" ratchet and a 70mm filter wrench (Toyota part #09228-06501) loosen the filter housing cap.

7. Loosen about 3 or 4 turns w/ the final turn having the ribs/flanges aligned vertically. Lift the cap up slightly so that the oil can drain into the oil reservoir.

8. Remove the oil filter housing and place in a plastic grocery bag. Pull the filter out of the housing and discard. Carefully remove the o-ring from the housing and discard.

9. Replace the filter in the housing. With your finger, run some oil around the new o-ring and carefully install into the groove.

10. Replace the filter housing and tighten to 18 ft/lbs of torque.
  11. Remove the oil cap and using your funnel, empty 6.7 quarts of oil into the engine. Replace the oil cap.

12. Lastly, start the engine. Let it run for 3 minutes or so while you check for leaks. Check the oil level to make sure you've added enough oil.
  13. Turn off the engine. Crawl back under the car and using your 3/8 ratchet and 10mm socket replace the access cover (3 bolts).
  14. Pull your car off the ramps, put everything away and you're ready to go...

I don't think I've missed anything but if you find something please let me know and I'll update the post. If you think a few more pictures might help I'll take more next time and update the post then. I hope this helps those of you that are completely oblivious to care care maintenance. I was. But, it felt great to do this for the first time.

See less See more
#3 ·
Damn, nice write up :)
You are the man, even thou I don't have an IS350, I will still rep you
:lol:

Can some one tell me why they decided to go to a filter element instead of just going with a regular filter change as in the other lexus cars or 1st gen IS??? Is it better? To me it seems like more stuff that you have to worry about, instead of just taking that new filter and slapping it on without having to worry about all this mess :suspiciou

BMW's have that shit as well, seems like we are going in the same direction, must be better, but why???

#4 ·
Pawel said:
Damn, nice write up :)
You are the man, even thou I don't have an IS350, I will still rep you
:lol:

Can some one tell me why they decided to go to a filter element instead of just going with a regular filter change as in the other lexus cars or 1st gen IS??? Is it better? To me it seems like more stuff that you have to worry about, instead of just taking that new filter and slapping it on without having to worry about all this mess :suspiciou

BMW's have that shit as well, seems like we are going in the same direction, must be better, but why???
Its probably cheaper since youre just paying for the media and o-ring instead of the media, o-ring, can, and anti-drainback valve..

#5 ·
Nice write up, posting the link on the how to's in the owner's forum.
+rep

#6 ·
GangusKhanh² said:
Its probably cheaper since youre just paying for the media and o-ring instead of the media, o-ring, can, and anti-drainback valve..
Hell if it was $50 for filter than I would be concerned, but not at $5. I rather just buy the damn filter, and not worry about mess of taking the membrane out and putting a new one in.

#7 ·
thanks for the write-up! I suppose I should order my toyota parts to do this :)

#10 ·
Thanks fellas... I have a couple questions that hopefully someone may be able to answer. First, in this picture, see the little area just below my thumb between the plastic ring and above the metal cylinder? I wasn't able to push the filter down far enough for the two to meet. Is this normal? Shouldn't they be flush with one another? Second, there is supposed to be a crush washer between the oil pan and drain plug that is to be replaced with each oil change. I was not able to sheer off the old crush washer to replace it. Is this going to be an issue? Will the old one be OK? I'm guessing if I had taken it to Jiffy Lube they wouldn't have replaced it either, so....

Maybe someone can shed some light...

#12 ·
ahohnstein said:
I was not able to sheer off the old crush washer to replace it. Is this going to be an issue? Will the old one be OK?
Maybe someone can shed some light...
Some techs at my work don't change the gasket and so far no leaks. I always do because it only crushes once but im anal bout my car. so don't worry too much if no leaks. hope that helps

#13 ·
IS3DP said:
Some techs at my work don't change the gasket and so far no leaks. I always do because it only crushes once but im anal bout my car. so don't worry too much if no leaks. hope that helps
On last 5 changes on the Corolla that I did, used the same washer, no leaks, call me cheap, :lol:

#22 ·
This post has the part number and a small picture of the tool. You can find them at your local auto parts store for about 5 bucks. If you order them from Toyota (like I did :pissed: ) you'll pay 30+ bucks... for the same part.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p=3985666#post3985666

Found this while googling the part # ...

http://toyota.spx.com/ - To Order Special Service Tools Call 1-800-933-8335 Business Hours: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm EST

#23 · (Edited)
nine9898 said:
how do I reset the system......So that the car doesn't tell me to change the oil.....Nice stuff man....I will save tons of money now ......Thanks again

Where did you get the toyota parts and how much was it ?

Yes i need to know this also.

My Lexus Contact gave a run down on the phone but i have yet to figure it out.

He said keep your foot off the brake they press start twice,

Then make sure the display is on the Odometer and press the button and hold it down till the warning goes out.

Now here is the issue what button is it the button to the left of the steering column or the start button. he said the button was to the side of the stearing column so it has to be one or the other. I tried both with no success.

Maybe with enough of us we can figure this out yet...

Edit nvm i got it.

How to disable the oil maint light...

- engine off
- hold down trip meter reset
- tap the start/stop button twice, making sure your foot is off the brake, and continue to hold down the button until the display resets.

#24 ·
- engine off
- hold down trip meter reset
- tap the start/stop button twice, making sure your foot is off the brake, and continue to hold down the button until the display resets.
Yup exactly. Also, After 3seconds you will see a bunch of 000000 on the odometer. That's how you know you have reset the system. I did my oil change today. No special parts tools whatsoever.

#26 ·
When I went to my service center (Lexus of Stevens Creek, Santa Clara, CA) to pick up an oil filter, they gave me a Toyota branded box with the label "ELEMENT KIT, OIL" and part number 04152-YZZA1. Inside includes the filter (part #15613-YZZA1), two O-rings (in a bag with the label "CAUTION: O-RINGS MUST BE REPLACED AT EVERY ELEMENT CHANGE") and a drain plug. Total was $10.47 + tax.

The computer reset steps:
- set odometer to miles position (not trip A or B)
- hold trip button down while turning on ignition (no clutch, push button twice)
- odometer should count down to 0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.