User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Is300 breaks - TERRIBLE!?

Is it possible that I'm just over driving this car? If it is, cool, I'll buy a bbk. But I just don't think I'm over driving the car. I'm VERY aggressive on my track days, but I just don't think I should be feeling like these brakes should be on a kids Barbie car!!

Amazon rotor kit (kt elite I think)
Centric ss lines

Cmax ceramic pads, (I already went through the set that came with the rotors and another set). Pads usually last me two track days.

Motul rbf 660 fluid

The problem I'm having is I can only get one hard brake in (100mph down to 40mph) before they go mushy and just will not stop my car. I've been supplementing with the e shift, it helps to slow me down so I don't have to use the brakes.

If I purchase $400 brake pads, I'm really concerned that my stopping power won't really change. Anyone with lots of track time have something to share? I need the pads to make a 300 percent difference, my brakes feel that weak!

I've bled probably 4 liters through, so I don't feel like there is any air in there.

I have not been able to bleed the abs yet. But honestly I don't think I've ever felt the abs kick in!

For comparison, I have another is300 with unknown brand rotors and pads, it feels like it's sufficient.

So, after all that I guess I'm asking which component on mine could be weak? And will expensive pads really make an incredible difference? And if they will, will they last any longer than two sessions?

Thanks for reading and any for any helpful responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 05:57 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)

Garage
You forgot to include one of the most important parts.. tires.

$$ brake upgrades + shitty tires= waste

Also, go with something other than autozone brake pads (cmax). Go with hawk, ebc, stoptech.

Mike
'02 AR IS300; M98 L-Tuned
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

ENKEI KOJIN 18X8.5+35/9.5+30
---------------------------------
DIY: Nav+Aftermarket HU
DIY: Timing Belt

My Thread
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:28 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Wow, I can't believe you didn't go off in a ditch with those pads. Bear minimum I'll generally recommend to people is a Hawk HPS. And that I'll even limit based on track and recommend being mindful.

There are different failures to braking. mm71522 eludes to one, tire limitation. But you mentioned ABS hasn't kicked in. So you're not locking the tires up and therefore that isn't your limitation.

2. The pedal goes to the floor after repeated stops. This is commonly caused by fluid boiling. Most common, poorly bleed brakes. I've dealt with some systems that unless you pressure or vacuum bleed, it just isn't going to be great. Poor brake fluid is the next. You're using high quality fluid, but is it a left over can that was sitting open on your buddy's shelf? Remember, brake fluid is hydroscopic.

3. Pedal doesn't go to floor, but goes stiff and you're not slowing down. This is pads are hotter than they can handle. See first paragraph about pads. Personally I find the Hawk HPS as more heat tolerant than Stoptech Sport pads. But the dust is far better with the Stoptech, plus they're cheaper. They would be my recommendation for you. Do front AND rear. Bed the pads in correctly too.

<--- Doesn't believe in stock vehicles
2002 IS300 VVTi GTE v161 Built single - TeCKis300's old car
1995 240sx - NASA PTD trim

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

Make sure your under-tray/ducting going to the brakes is in tact and functional.

I really hate cheap pads for any kind of driving. I've felt like going from a crappy generic auto store pad to actual OEM pad or track pad can be several hundred percent % better just because of how bad some pads are. They might have an ok material, but who actually knows what the friction vs. temp curve is or what the max temp rating is.

Cheap rotors can also be a problem on a track car as well.. The vanes inside the rotors can have a pretty big impact on cooling. If the replacement rotor is straight vane and OEM wasn't it could offer worse cooling than stock. There are also various patented designs that do even better

Last edited by whatthe; 11-26-2016 at 11:36 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention tires are sport comp 2. I'll be switching to proxes r888. But anyway the tires are pretty sticky. Not just regular passenger tires.

As for the date on the fluid, I didn't check. Just purchased it and flushed it in.

No problem purchasing hawk pads, I'll just be ENRAGED if my brakes still suck with hawk pads.

I'm trying to determine #1 if my current setup has a problem and if corrected will my brakes be sufficient?

And #2 if the stock setup is functioning properly with premium pads etc is it enough to stop me 140 mph down to 40mph for turns?

Where do I decide if bbk is necessary? After I get the brakes dialed in I'm boosting the motor to 450 @wheels. So it's imperative I can stop.

If I'll absolutely need a bbk for that speed and my heavy car i don't want to mess with any more stock options.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

I was thinking that you were NA, but you really have to pick the final purpose and goal of your car.

If you need to do a single stop from 140mph on an NA car, then a decent set of pads and rotors on the stock calipers should work fine.

If you are going to do multiple back to back stops from 140mph, often tracking some beastly turbo car - the best way to ensure braking is spend the money on 4 piston calipers, a pad that can handle higher temperatures than Hawk (do the research for whatever pads fit the calipers that you buy. Aftermarket caliper brands tend to have better friction/temp curves than OEM caliper replacement pad options), and get a quality set of rotors (my preference is not drilled if possible with better internal fin design).

If budget is primary concern, you may be able to cheap out stock calipers, on some unknown shitty rotor, with a completely track oriented pad (if they make one for IS300) that can maintain some amount of friction at super high temperatures (not Hawk or anything similar). The trade-off is that kind of pad will be noisy as hell, dusty, and have almost no friction when cold and be dangerous on the street because of it.

You make the really aggressive pads safer on the street by going with 4 piston calipers. The extra hydraulic force helps when it's cold because 4 times almost no friction is better and hopefully enough to stop the car (or at least moreso than 2 times almost no friction when cold).

The problem is that the amount of friction a pad generates changes with temperature. There is no magical binder for the pad compound that performs at every single temperature. Pick your goal, pick the suitable compromise and buy the right set up.

If multiple 140mph stops isn't a concern, then for $100-$400 for a set of performance pads, I'm not quite sure how you would be enraged if the solution didn't work given the alternative will be much more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixLexi300 View Post
I forgot to mention tires are sport comp 2. I'll be switching to proxes r888. But anyway the tires are pretty sticky. Not just regular passenger tires.

As for the date on the fluid, I didn't check. Just purchased it and flushed it in.

No problem purchasing hawk pads, I'll just be ENRAGED if my brakes still suck with hawk pads.

I'm trying to determine #1 if my current setup has a problem and if corrected will my brakes be sufficient?

And #2 if the stock setup is functioning properly with premium pads etc is it enough to stop me 140 mph down to 40mph for turns?

Where do I decide if bbk is necessary? After I get the brakes dialed in I'm boosting the motor to 450 @wheels. So it's imperative I can stop.

If I'll absolutely need a bbk for that speed and my heavy car i don't want to mess with any more stock options.

Last edited by whatthe; 11-28-2016 at 11:43 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)

Being that ABS isn't engaging and assuming there are no ABS faults, it sounds like your tires are adequate.

I would try a different set of pads and rotors to start. Not sure of the timeline but you may also consider changing the fluid more frequently.

Not all BBK's are track rated either. Buyer beware if you're on a racing budget.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:41 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
Not all BBK's are track rated either. Buyer beware if you're on a racing budget.
This can't be said enough. I've seen supposed BBK's come apart on the track because they are more for looks than real function.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

why downgrade to SS lines when the car comes with the better Kevlar ones?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

All good info, I appreciate it.

To address a couple things -

About the "enraged comment," I just mean that if I bought specialty pads that did NOT give me a noticeable improvement, it would be money wasted. That's all. I almost bought some hawk hps pads but after seeing some performance graphs, I think only hp plus pads will work. Those aren't made for my car, I would only have access to that particular pad if i ran supra calipers and rotors.

And for the braided lines guy... Because the manufacture date on my "better" stock lines 08/01. That's dangerous imo.

Basically I've come to the conclusion that for the way I'm using this car, I need race only calipers and race only pads. I'll just have to keep a regular set around if I decide to street my car.

So now I'm wondering if I should get larger rotors or just keep stock size? Also, if larger calipers are warranted?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)

I'm still unclear if this is a track car or a daily driver that goes to the track.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I've been looking at carbotech xp12 pads or project Mu pads. Rated for up to 800 deg Celsius.

Rotors I need some capable of handling the heat, best ones I found are good to 600c --Project mu club racer.

Anyone heard anything about these? Or have a recommendation?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

It's mostly track/hobby car. If it's not obvious, it's all completely new to me.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:06 AM
Fiend

You're new and NA, trust me and throw some Hawk HPS on there. It'll be 300% better than what you went with the first time. I've been doing this 10 years, race and instruct.

And the reality of it, pads will last you possibly two track weekends. So if you don't like them, well you're replacing them soon anyway.

More pistons does not necessarily mean more friction. And saying Hawk is not a track pad...hawk is a brand. They make other compounds. Not 100% positive, but in amateur racing, they are probably the most utilized pad on every given weekend. Want race oriented, get something from their DTC lineup, blues or blacks. But they won't work when cold, are aggressive in rotors, etc.

Brake pads are like tires. A Hoosier R7 is awesome when hot. But when it's cold, you'll tear it up and an all season compound will beat it out. But take that all season out in the hot and it'll get greasy and tear up. Different pad compounds like different operating temperatures.

Another company that makes a lot of pad options is G-Loc. We've been using them on our race team car for endurance. Their R10 compound has been great for us and works when cold surprisingly well.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Fiend

Forgot to mention. Hold off on a big brake kit unless you've got money to burn. Keep in mind that you'll need bigger rims to clear the brakes and you need to think about front and rear bias matching, as well as master cylinder bore. I've seen too often people slap a BBK assuming better performance to actually get worse.
whatthe and SP2Pilot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Race Related

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page