LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Rolling rear fender questions

Hey,
I have used the wheel fitment calculator and I am looking at a set of rear 18" wheels that are 8.5 wide and +40 offset. Using that calculator, that puts the magic number just below the 68. It says the tire may need to be stretched. I rather not stretch the tire. I am going to be dropped on H&R springs. I dont want to rub. Will these rub with that drop? How much room is gained by rolling the fender? Are the fender liners affected by fender rolling? Anyone running an 8.5 wide wheel with +40 offset, dropped, and did not do anything else to make them fit?

'04 MSM Sportcross, JoeZ intake w/ aFe dry filter, Cusco cooling plate & FSB-trunk bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I am running Lexus Is250 F-sport wheels. They are 255/35/18 on 18x8.5 on the rear. 50mm though. I am lowered on some cheap no name springs (forgive me, they came with the car lol) I say they lower atleast 1.5 inches. No fenders rolled.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Thanks shiftdrift..but that 10mm might make a significant difference. Should push the wheel out more. BUT, your top photo shows the top of your tire doesnt look near enough the fender to be an issue. Maybe the fitment calculator is more helpful for those slamming their cars. Do you have a pic from the rear? I would like to see how much poke there is.

'04 MSM Sportcross, JoeZ intake w/ aFe dry filter, Cusco cooling plate & FSB-trunk bars

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I'm still on stock suspension (installing coilovers shortly) with nearly the same wheel specs as you mentioned. Mine are +38 and my 265/35's rub on big dips in the road. I have a slight roll because it was chewing up my tires but I think with a not-too-aggressive pull you should be alright if you're not slamming it to the ground. I'm thinking with the increased spring rate the car won't sink down as much over dips and hard turning. A beefier sway bar might help as well.

2002 Black Onyx IS300 5-speed w/LSD: GTE VVTi, AEM Infinity, BW S363, R154
my instagram
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettej8 View Post
I'm still on stock suspension (installing coilovers shortly) with nearly the same wheel specs as you mentioned. Mine are +38 and my 265/35's rub on big dips in the road. I have a slight roll because it was chewing up my tires but I think with a not-too-aggressive pull you should be alright if you're not slamming it to the ground. I'm thinking with the increased spring rate the car won't sink down as much over dips and hard turning. A beefier sway bar might help as well.
Worries me that you are rubbing on stock suspension. True the stiffer springs should hold up better, but it also dropped, so its already lower.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Guru

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

your set-up in question will fit. what tire size are you trying to run? you can fit 225's and not do any fender mods

-Mike
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXElover View Post
Thanks shiftdrift..but that 10mm might make a significant difference. Should push the wheel out more. BUT, your top photo shows the top of your tire doesnt look near enough the fender to be an issue. Maybe the fitment calculator is more helpful for those slamming their cars. Do you have a pic from the rear? I would like to see how much poke there is.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Frequenter

So after installing the coilovers I was indeed right about far less rubbing issues with the higher spring rate. The rear hasn't rubbed yet (although it's not crazy low) but the front has rubbed a tiny bit because it's a lot lower than the rear.

Here are my wheel specs and a pic of how it sits currently:

Front: 18x8.5 +38 with 225/35/18 tires
Rear: 18x8.5 +38 with 265/35/18 tires

my instagram
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 88 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettej8 View Post
So after installing the coilovers I was indeed right about far less rubbing issues with the higher spring rate. The rear hasn't rubbed yet (although it's not crazy low) but the front has rubbed a tiny bit because it's a lot lower than the rear.

Here are my wheel specs and a pic of how it sits currently:

Front: 18x8.5 +38 with 225/35/18 tires
Rear: 18x8.5 +38 with 265/35/18 tires

I spy wit my little eye an intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpitz View Post
I spy wit my little eye an intercooler
maybe
hankpitz likes this.

my instagram
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

went a different route

After debating back and forth between a set of Volk Se37's, Volk LE37's and Rays 5 spoke TRD wheels I went with the Ray's TRD's.
DB8 sold me a staggered set (Sportx style for a Sportx with 7.5 +45 up front and 8.5 +45 in rear. I should have no fitment issues. Im going with a 225-40 tire in the front, and a 255-35 tire in the rear. Everything is 18 inch. I went with these for a few reasons.
1. They are made my Rays, so still lightweight forged goodness
2. They look so similar to the stock wheels that they add just enough subtle difference
3. They were made for TRD so have a red trim cap, TRD stickers, so they fit the Toyota Altezza, I mean Lexus IS300 just fine.
4. I also trust DB8 very much, and am very happy with the purchase. Shipping was ridiculous. I paid for them at the end of the week, and got them on Monday!

I bought a new set of red Rays valve stems to match the center ring. I was going to go with red lug nuts as well, but the last set of red Rays lugs I had, faded to a pinkish red fairly quickly. Going with Rays gun metal lug nuts this time. I think it ties into the dark chrome tail lights, and head lights. If they fade a bit, they will still look good on my MSM wagon. Hoping to get the set up on sometime over the next week or two, depending on the weather.

These arent the actual set, but these are the wheels in another set I debated but was afraid the rears would require work:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5hUAAO...eAF/s-l500.jpg
hankpitz likes this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Frequenter

DB8 is good people. Shipping from china sometimes takes a while because of customs but he finds a lot of clean quality parts.

my instagram
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 129 Post(s)

DB8 is the best.

You must have chosen shipping by air I assume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page