MUST READ!: Wheel Width Considerations - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I don't know about you guys, but my real life experience tells me that braking improved when I upgraded to bigger tires. Now when I slam on the brakes, my stomach feels like it's going to move forward jump out.

I went from stockies to 18x9 w/ 235 and 18x10.5 w/ 265. Acceleration went down a bit though, but braking has improved. Of course gripping on mountain roads is like x5 better than when I had stockies. I drove on the same mountain road during my test. I couldn't push the car as hard when I had narrow stockies as I can now with wider tires. Even my friend who was in the passenger seat was like "man you have so much grip now".

I noticed that the article applies more to stock cars. If you're fully Fig'd out you should have all the adjustments you need other than the scrub radius which is not adjustable.

Note: I used similar tire compound during my comparison.

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD

Last edited by tonynca; 04-05-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Actually, bigger rims/tires will ALSO give you slower braking as there are more rotational mass that are further from the rotational center. I have stock 240sx 16" skinny winter wheels and light weight (18lbs) 18" summer wheels, and the winter wheels are definitely more zippy.

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page