2001 is300 won't start. - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS300 Owner's Forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

jtsayres is an unknown at this point
2001 is300 won't start.

The other day I was driving up the Interstate at about 80 mph, and my Lexus chugged a couple of times. My first thought was tranny, so when I got home I put some Lucas in the tranny. Next day I tried to start it and it would turn over, but seemed like no spark. I listened for the fuel pump, and I could here it prime. Finally started after several tries, but when i went and closed the hood it shut off. After several tries again it started. I started to drive it up the road, and it was sluggish at first, then drove fine. After about 10 min of test driving I decided to see what she could do. So, I stepped on the gas, she started to take off, then died. No sound, just died. Still had power though. Would turn over, but nothing so towed her home.

I took off my MAF sensor and cleaned it. Nothing. I took off the TB, and proceeded to change the plugs. I found there to be oil in the plug channel around the plug holes. I removed as much as I could before removing the plugs. When I did remove them oil was all over the threads, but not so much (I don't believe) on the end. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and plugs, then put it back together. Still would not start. I even double checked my connections. Pulled the fuel pump and cleaned the filter from some minor trash. replaced and nothing. Pulled a plug wire and checked the spark by putting a plug in the end and having someone turn it over (not sure if this is right). No spark. Battery was low from trying to start it so I had it checked at Advance Auto. They told me that two of the cells had welded themselves together, so I bought a new one. Still nothing.

There are many add ons such as a SRT High Flow Intake System with Race ECU, Grounding kit, and a TBKO electronic shift kit. All of this was on the car when I purchased it. Although, it does look professionally done.

Could it be the igniter? I hope not the Head. Any help?
Attached Thumbnails
2001 is300 won't start.-100_3487-1-.jpg   2001 is300 won't start.-100_3479-1-.jpg   2001 is300 won't start.-100_3486-1-.jpg   2001 is300 won't start.-100_3483-2-.jpg  

2001 is300 won't start.-100_3482-1-.jpg  

Last edited by jtsayres; 10-22-2010 at 12:23 PM.
jtsayres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fiend

joejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community memberjoejaeg3r is an elite community member
starter motor?
joejaeg3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

How could it be the starter if it died while it was running? ECU maybe. Just not too sure that it is that extensive. It has almost 160,000 miles, and I'm not some idiot that just dumps a bunch of oil in my motor. Besides, I said that I changed my plugs.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
is your charging system putting out at least 13.2-14.8 volts?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Altruist

vroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community membervroomRollLEX is an elite community member
check your connections to the srt ecu? i mean idk who did your install but maybe if it wasn't soldered correctly they could come loose?
i would say the same with TBKO too, although i highly doubt that one.
no CEL's when it was chugging?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addict

IanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community memberIanH is an elite community member
You said you had no spark ? check again, yes put spare plug in plug wire and crank, you should see a strong spark regularly as it turns.

Then back to basics...

Spark ? Fuel ? then compression.

Put the battery on a charger and charge up
check battery connections are tight
Try to start.
If not, add starting fluid, spray in intake while someone cranks.

If it doesn't run at all check spark again.

If you are sure you have a spark, check compression.

Last edited by IanH; 10-18-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added
IanH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

The check engine light was on, but I was told that it was 02 sensor last time I had it checked. The Trac off light was blinking last time it ran. What could that mean? It has a brand new battery, so charging wouldn't do any good. I am also sure that I am getting no spark. Connections look fine on SRT ECU.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
gwl
Frequenter

gwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community membergwl is an elite community member
Bad primary O2 sensor can create havoc on idling issues and stalling problems plus you will get horrible gas mileage. You should replace the O2 sensor.
gwl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car now starts after sitting for several days, but chugs out immediately. Could there be a pressure problem with the fuel pump, and if so, how do I check it?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! I am an idiot as much as I am smart. After researching some more, I found that sometimes the VVT-I sensor/ solenoid can sometimes go bad. So, I removed it to inspect. To do this, the timing belt cover has to be removed. After inspecting it (and it looked fine) during reinstall, I looked over a couple of inches and realized I did not plug the front coil pack back in during the change of the valve cover gaskets & plugs. Reinstalled everything, and BAM, started right up. After taking her for a drive & blowing out the oil that spilled into the plug holes, & burning off oil spilled on exhaust from gasket change. She runs great, and with good power. So, I was right from the beginning to think it was the plugs. Just didn't know it yet. I'll post pics soon. Hope this helps a fellow Lexus owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS300 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)