Rusty Rotors - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2002, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lurker

Eggbert is an unknown at this point
Rusty Rotors

I have had my car for just over a month now and my roters are already rusty. What can I do to take the rust off and possibly prevent it from coming back?

Thanks!
James D. B.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2002, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Extremist

thedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community member
Re: Rusty Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbert
I have had my car for just over a month now and my roters are already rusty. What can I do to take the rust off and possibly prevent it from coming back?

Thanks!
James D. B.
If you find out let me know.
I was gonna try some rust removing stuff if I ever find some.
Nice little web page man. Glad you and the others were all ok.

02 IS300 L-Tuned
thedon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-24-2002, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lurker

Eggbert is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedon
Quote:

Thanks!
James D. B.
If you find out let me know.
I was gonna try some rust removing stuff if I ever find some.
Nice little web page man. Glad you and the others were all ok.
THe rust remover sounds like a good idea, I will look into that and if I find anything I'll keep ya posted

Thank you :D yea that was quite an experience!
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-24-2002, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
JT
Aficionado

JT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these parts
Right after the first time I washed my car, the rotors rusted! I was very surprised it happened so quickly... literally within 60 minutes! I haven't found a resolution other than replacing the rotors, but I won't do that until they need to be replaced from wear.
JT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-24-2002, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Frequenter

bobm_lexus is an unknown at this point
Ok, folks, it's normal for the rotors to rust. They're made of iron, and iron rusts. Yes, some car makers have used stainless steel. Unfortunately, SS rotors just don't stop as well as soft iron ones do. The rust will get wiped off the first time you dirve it, so dn't worry about it.
bobm_lexus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-24-2002, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Extremist

thedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community memberthedon is an elite community member
I should have pointed it out to the people at lexus. In fact I did. They said all the cars have that.
Because the rust I have is not from my washing, because I drive it afterwards and its gone, but I have drips from when it was parked on the lot and washed but never moved. Clearly drips on one side of the rotors front and back.
All those little small things about the car make you want to go slap somebody at lexus.
Things I hate,
paint chips after 5 months
rusty rotors
there's more, cant remember

02 IS300 L-Tuned
thedon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-24-2002, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lurker

kcb66 is an unknown at this point
Are you talking about the rotor or rotor hubs? My rotor hub's had rust..I went to Tom Wood Lexus and they painted the hubs silver. No rust for over 3 months now. The '02 already come with the rotor hub's powercoated black.
kcb66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-24-2002, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Loyalist

truckinit89 is a degenerate close to banishmenttruckinit89 is a degenerate close to banishment
Take them off and paint them with a high temp paint. Waaalaaa no rust. I did mine and they came out perfect.
truckinit89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-24-2002, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aficionado

SpectraBlueIS300 is an unknown at this point
I pointed out the rusted hubs to my Lexus dealership and they painted it silver, for free. My had more rust than the average though, but complain enough and they'll fix it for you.
SpectraBlueIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-25-2002, 05:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fiend

Sweetzzzz is a continually helpful memberSweetzzzz is a continually helpful member
I had the rusty rotor hub problem too. I just painted it myself with high temp rustoleum silver spray paint from home depot. I stripped all the rust off down to the metal with some tool on a my air compressor (spinning wirebrush thing). Masked off the brake surface and painted 2 coats. I even painted the top vents too, looks alot better now.

Before

After
Old 06-25-2002, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
JT
Aficionado

JT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these partsJT is famous around these parts
Sweetzzzz,

Your rotors turned out great! They look much better painted. Did you paint your calipers with hi temp paint or G2?
JT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-25-2002, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Guru

BigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community member
Good Job Byron..... finally..... a pioneer. :D
BigDaddyRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 06-25-2002, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fiend

Sweetzzzz is a continually helpful memberSweetzzzz is a continually helpful member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT
Your rotors turned out great! They look much better painted. Did you paint your calipers with hi temp paint or G2?
I painted my calipers about a year ago with G2 paint! And the rotors with rustoleum high temp spray paint.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fiend

Cobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community memberCobian is an elite community member

Quote:

Thanks!
James D. B.
i have a full set of stock 2002 rotors and a full set of TRD rotors in my garage. if interested, let me know so i can work up a price.
Cobian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)