Got rid of my Sticky Dash finally!!! - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lurker

miamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community member
Got rid of my Sticky Dash finally!!!

I bought my GGP 02 5sp last month and the dash has been bothering me since I got the car. I ordered a dash and console from ebay and did the install this weekend. Just a heads up, its not difficult but its a little time consuming. All in all, very well worth it! Now I need to see what I can do with the pass air bag cover, its the only part that looks like arse on the dash...
miamijdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fiend

dee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community memberdee415 is an elite community member
pics would be great.....
Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lurker

miamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community membermiamijdm is an elite community member
I only have a pic of the car with the dash off..

Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

slurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community memberslurm_cola is an elite community member
LOL, I was hoping you had a solution beyond just replacing the part. But good to hear you solved your problem either way!
slurm_cola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fiend

who_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community memberwho_done_it is an elite community member
^^ there is a way PhillyB did a write up to re-spray the dash to make it look new.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addict

my.IS Supporter
PhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community member
so "you fixed" or you purchased your way out?

I did a whole write up on how to actually fix the dash board.
Putting stickers on fake wheels to pass them off is the same as a girl rocking a fake Gucci or a Lamborghini kit car or some fake Jordan's. If you can't afford to play then rock the lower end brands and stop playing yourself.
PhillyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lurker

changing the dash seemed like the only correct fix for my car. For what a dash on ebay costs, I think this is the best solution.. U can pick one up for 300 bucks...
Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

garcia7413 is an unknown at this point
Where do you start to take off your dashboard?, mine is really sticky too, and im trying to take it of so i can have it custom paint. Please I need some help with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamijdm View Post
I only have a pic of the car with the dash off..

garcia7413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

If anyone knows which is the easier way to fix this, please let me know...Im trying to get riid off the stickiness of my dashboard. Im trying to have it custom paint....I seen pics before, but I dnt know what tools i need, nor where to start,
Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thats the way I want to get my dashboard painted, same pattern.....every things dats on blue its wats sticky in mine.....
Attached Thumbnails
Got rid of my Sticky Dash finally!!!-0211tur_09zoom-lexus_is300-interior.jpg  
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Frequenter

kaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community memberkaniala1 is an elite community member
I got my sticky ABS cover fixed by doing another member's post/fix. (I'll give credit to that person as soon as I find that post again). I did this fix about 2 months ago and it still looks great.

Get some Armor All "Cleaning" and "Protectant" wipes and some painters tape...I know it's Armor All, but it worked for me. You only need 1 "protectant" wipe and A LOT of cleaning wipes. Slide the painters tape in between the ABS cover and dash to protect the dash portion...the cleaning wipes WILL remove the dye off the dash if not careful. Using a lot of elbow grease, clean the crap out of that ABS cover. It will take a lot of wipes. It took about 10-12 wipes and about 15-20 minutes to remove all that tacky stuff off. Each wipe should look almost black when done correctly. You should see that layer of stickiness coming off. Get a clean dry cloth and dry it off. I just used the standard pink/red shop rags you get at any auto parts store. If you see any lint residue from the cloth, you haven't removed all of the sticky crap. If that's the case, clean some more. Once you feel you got enough of that stuff off, dry it off and wipe it well with the "ONE" protectant wipe, then wipe off the excess with a clean dry cloth. You don't want a lot of that Armor All protectant left sitting on it. Remove the painters tape and Voila, you should have a sticky free ABS cover. I will post up pics of the final product as soon as I get home from work...(yup, My.ISing at work )

By the way, the only part of MY dash that was sticky was the ABS cover. The rest of the dash was fine...and I live in Guam where it's high 80's low 90's all year...so it stays hot here.

2002 BO IS300 | 5MT | LSD | TE Reps | Fidanza Cam Gear | K&N | JoeZ | HKS | Megan | JIC | FIGS | Tein
And the pursuit of BOOST!

Last edited by kaniala1; 07-29-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph
kaniala1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Aficionado

IS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community memberIS300Enthusiast103 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia7413 View Post
Thats the way I want to get my dashboard painted, same pattern.....every things dats on blue its wats sticky in mine.....
That is one incredibly clean car.
IS300Enthusiast103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Addict

my.IS Supporter
PhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community memberPhillyB is an elite community member
DIY: Fix The Dash..

P.S. Logical to swap your dash out? $300?

Cost me a total of $40 and some beer.

http://my.is/forums/f90/diy-dashboar...h-look-374628/
Putting stickers on fake wheels to pass them off is the same as a girl rocking a fake Gucci or a Lamborghini kit car or some fake Jordan's. If you can't afford to play then rock the lower end brands and stop playing yourself.
PhillyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Enthusiast

fastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community memberfastsmurf04 is an elite community member
wow... thats amazing what that little bar thing up top will do when you have a ? about something and type it in and POOF!!! IT brings the answers to you! oh yea, the search bar.... lol. but hey, bump for spending 3 bones and attempting that.
*My.is/ISfanatic/Clublexus*
96 Chevy s10-dd project and QUAD hauler
fastsmurf04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Addict

xboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community memberxboostx is an elite community member
I like the dash swap option. Thats why i did it LOL.
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)