Dull clearcoat...But Why? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Enthusiast

2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member
Dull clearcoat...But Why?

I just purchased duplicolor touchup paint in a spray can along with the T125 clearcoat. I test painted a small piece of ABS plastic to check color match, The color matches perfect BTW. I used flexible primer then the touch up paint then the clearcoat(3x). I let it sit for a few days now, But the clear is dull not shiny. What did I do wrong or is there something else that i still need to do? There must be something i am not doing right. Any suggestions would be appreciated, If I can get the clearcoat to look better I would have a perfect match.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Follower

ISinOH is a continually helpful memberISinOH is a continually helpful member
Was the car garaged? Clearcoat usually takes 2-5 days to harden completely. If it was humid, rainy, or cold (below 50), it can make a clearcoat dry hazy.

How long did you wait between coats? I think they typically say to recoat within 1 hour or wait XX days until thouroughly dry. If you wait longer than that, you could seal in the vapors from the first coat.

You should probably let the touchup coat dry completely before clearcoating it too.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Enthusiast

8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member8MYCASH is an elite community member
The basecoat was completely dry, Sat for almost 24 hours. I clearcoated and recoated about every 45 minutes.
this was done on a scrap piece of ABS plastic at work,Climate never changes(75-80F,Dry)
Will buffing make it shine? What would I use to buff it out?
-Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Country Boostin

Roundtable Panelist 2005 ToyDrive Participant
OKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community member
Wet sanding and buffing will probably make it shine
07 C6 Z06
97 Supra tt 6 speed
Forced Induction Facts *READ THEM* Its some good stuff!
OKCIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-18-2005, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Thank, Have another square!(a pretty blue one too, I want one of those)
Will have to try that out, what grit would you reccomend for wet sanding?

-Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Loyalist

DHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community memberDHCrocks is an elite community member
I would try using a polish like maguires scratch-X first since it's less destructive. If thje touch up is flush with the paint and is just a bit hazy this should do the trick. If you need to knock it down a bit try Lanka, it works great at taking away the bubble from touch up paints to make the surface flush. Last resort would be to use a wet sandpaper since you could endup doing more damage then good. as far as grit use 2000 or 4000 if you can find it (auto parts store), don't go under 1200, cause you'll endup seeing the scratches from the sandpaper.
DHCrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Podiatrist

2005 ToyDrive Participant
SophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community member
Is the touch-up just a base or is it designed for a finished look?
In my experience, touch up paint is not supposed to be cleared. Most of the time it's a finished look.

If you clear it and it looks dull, it could be why.
If it's dull, you can try buffing it out, but I doubt that'll help.

Boost Stage 9.35++* BPU*3 (Rebuilding the blue deep throat)
First built 2JZ-GE Tri-Turbo
(3) GT40R, 264 cams, 850cc, J&S, V160, Haltech E6X, portmatched head, Q45 TB
SophieSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Enthusiast

it is a basecat that is supposed to be cleared. When i ordered it from duplicolor they said it must be clearcoated if the part number is followed with a CC, and it is.
Will try some of the suggestions and see what happens.
-Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Podiatrist

SophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community memberSophieSleeps is an elite community member
Well normally after a basecoat, you should clear it within 15 min or so.
If you wait a long time, the base gets dull.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Enthusiast

If the other suggestions don;t hwlp, I will flip the piece i have and try that. When i clear it the base will still be tacky/Wet when i am cearing it (15minutes) This will be ok? Thanks sophie!
Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8MYCASH
If the other suggestions don;t hwlp, I will flip the piece i have and try that. When i clear it the base will still be tacky/Wet when i am cearing it (15minutes) This will be ok? Thanks sophie!
Chris
Well we may be talking about different paint.

When you're spraying automotive paint, most of them will go on dry.

I sprayed tonight actually. Within minutes, you should be able to touch the base. It should be extremely dull at this point. When you're done with base, and you let it flash dry, you hit it with clear. This is when it starts to glow and shine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Showroom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)