Lexus IS Forum banner

Dmax hood for the is300..lets make it come true

21K views 138 replies 39 participants last post by  az989 
#1 ·

D1 SPEC BONNET
Characteristics
Exterior Wet carbon (clear coat)
Interior FRP
Carbon Bonnet creates a beatufiul gross even with unpainted. The character of carbon material with strong fiber makes it possible to have the high advantage of a light and thin bonnet.

FRP Bonnet
Exterior FRP
Interior FRP
FRP Bonnet can be painted according to your car type. You are able to create not only a simple, but also an outstanding design which will draws everyone's attention.

Im trying to work with Dmax usa to get the Dmax hood for the is300 and maybe the fenders. For those of you who havent seen the hood heres a link
to a test they have done with a OEM and a Dmax hood
[ PRODUCT TESTING | D-MAX D1 SPEC HOOD ] J.D.M. OPTION INTERNATIONAL
D-MAX USA
as you can see the Dmax hood has been proven to work and is probably the most functional hood out there, but unfortunately it wasnt made for the IS300. Im hoping that the show of potential buyers will get this product made for our car and i am willing to donate my personal hood in hopes this will happen to make it happen.

if you are interrested please post group buy style if you would like one..
the more info that gets posted here the better chance we will have, anything i here ill keep posted..

I DO NOT WORK FOR DMAX TRYING TO SELL A PRODUCT..

See less See more
#85 ·
darkevildrifter, I am not sure why you are so bent over backwards because there are people pissing on you're idea. Have you forgotten, the purpose of this thread was to see the interest? You should have expected opponents of the idea, so stop being a little child about it. It is obvious the interest is very close to none. Just as Tom said, if you feel as though this is something that you want, move forward with it, for you're own vehicle.

I find it amusing then when guys throw out ideas and majority votes no, they bad mouth this community. Keep in mind that the majority of the aftermarket support for the IS300 most likely was somehow contributed by the OG members of this forum.

#86 ·
How did this thread turn to such crap? Restart the list. If anyone has anything to say besides putting their name on the list they obviously dont understand the need for a dmax style hood or why it will be cooler/more accessible than most hoods out there.

1)BOXCAR

#87 ·
i dont understand why ppl are so opposed to having a new style hood forthe is300 made....the other vented hoods that are available costs alot of money the vis and seibon hoods are the same styles the rest are expensive

#88 ·
like ive said before and i didnt bad mouth anyone or this community, people can read for them selfs. Im sorry i dont own your average is300 mine will be used only on the track and i would just like to see a hood that works not just lloks like everything else..also as posted before

THIS HOOD WILL NOT BE PUT INTO PRODUCTION....

#89 ·
#94 ·
I'm not treating you like some kid, even though you are acting like one. Go back and read your own posts. Youre getting upset because MOST of the people on this forum dont share the same aesthetic preferences as you and because we are satisfied with the current selection of hoods on the market. Then when we encourage you to be different and just go forward with it on a one off hood anyways you say eff it this thing isnt getting produced. I'm not attacking you or your car in any way. You just still havnt explained why this hood offers a significant benefit over any other hood on the market. You mentioned some vents near the back, ok well I see TWO sets of vents on the back edge of the hood you showed. Some on the top skin (which could EASILY be added into ANY hood by a competant person OR body shop) AND some vents on a back edge flap thing that the IS300 hood doesnt even have. To get those SAME vents you would actually have to cut the wiper cowl and remove the rubber seal from the back edge where it seals the hood to the cowl. the IS has a very high profile wiper cowl that comes near flush with the hood height so I dont see how that flap would get onto the back of the hood.

Please really and honestly go more into depth of why this hood is superior or drastically different from other ones on the market. Go into MS paint and draw on the images if you have to. By all means do it. Perhaps we can put ideas together and create you an inexpensive solution. I have tried to be rather mature and straight forward with this. I'm all for progression of the IS community but what I dont want to see is another cheap product that will end up on ebay and mexi-mobiles.

#100 ·
Its not that I dont like it, I'm still just trying to justify why this is so much better or different than anything else on the market. I'm dieing to understand here. Really, its not often I write multiple 5 paragraph replies to a thread. You have me hooked now lets move forward towards a constructive resolution.

#101 ·
alright tom you are beeing opened minded about it..but please take this into consideration. We all know Drifting around this forum is the "uncool" thing, So act like this is coming from a screen name with out "drift" in it..like ..Adam

now so with that beening said after market hoods like all parts for the is300 only is made by a handle full of people which know this, so they can set any prices they would like cause theres not much competition and lets face it you dont start a business with out the goal beeing making money.

So dmax offers hoods at wonderful pricing, they are a known reputable company from japan( JDM tyte yo), as you stated if i wanna lower under hood temps then pull the weather stripping which has been proved to be effective for a fee degees of temp, i dont know if you have ever drove your car without a hood but temps are really low cause theres no heat trap. Heat trap (if you dont know what it is) is a void of air which gets caught in the upper rear portion of the engine bay kinda like a pocket. So the rear vent on the dmax hood "keeps" the air flowing so there is no void/pocket, which helps to lower temps..the front vent "razor like" is prefect for vmount setups. Im sure you know what a vmount is so im not going to go into that. Only 2-3 of the hoods posted would work efficiently with a vmount the rest would hinder the flow.

Seeing how "boosting" is a big thing with the is300 and no i dont see very many vmounts, you would think under hood temps would be a big factor with these setups. I can almost guarantee BN sports hood is the best cooling hood on the market but the price still doesnt compare to dmax.

Dmax is not a ebay/chinese knock company, they make sure everything is oem fitment.

#102 ·
make more of these posts.... you'll get better reception around here. prove to people that you know the benefits and make them understand too. that will get you farther. i like the idea of this hood for the price and functionality. i hate the way spaced hoods look on the is, i tried it on mine just to see. every hood that i'm interested in costs a damn fortune. i'm looking at making my own from an oem type dry carbon hood because it will be cheaper....

#105 ·
V mount IIRC is when the radiator is tipped back and the Intercooler is layed across the top of the engine bay in the front between the upper core support and the front of the engine.

That vent at the front is beneficial for pulling air through the intercooler from underneath. The IS300 has a VERY short nose compared to most other cars used in the performance community. It makes that type of setup VERY difficult as you have VERY limited space to work with. I have only seen ONE IS (Altezza actually) with this and it was a show car for the Tokyo Motorshow. WITH That said lets not assume you want it for that functionality because it is a very difficult to pull off on the IS as it does not have a long nose like the 240 or Corolla.

From there, the vents at the rear as I said if they are just ones in the top skin ANY competant body shop can add those or even yourself. Just take your time and plan it out with painters tape then put clear nail polish on the cut CF to keep it from splintering or fraying.

3rdly as I said that flap on the back side of the hood with vents couldnt be added to the IS as the wiper cowl comes up nearly flush with the hood. SO you could remove the rubber strip AND cut some holes in the cowl (use the already existing holes in the TOP of the cowl be the exit) and viola! you have your rear vents.

With all that into consideration assuming you did a traditional front mount you could just use an OEM style CF hood, cut your vents on the top near the back and cut the cowl and remove the rubber strip.

Are you following my train of thought here?

#106 ·
yes that would be a vmount on a rx7 fc, but its still can be done on a is300.. this is not my first build and i understand you guys dont know me. I dont follow the leader. My car will have a vmount because what it does for your motor and since ill have one ill need a functioning hood. since this hood isnt going to happen, I got the uras mold so i can do my own thing and if someone likes it i can always make more..

#109 ·
No no, it really sounds like a great idea but more on a one off basis than a mass produced hood. And thats what I have been getting at the whole time, whats stopping you from having a one off part no one else has? I think the idea is great if you have the gall to do the whole setup BUT its for more work than MOST IS owners are willing to do.

I've never really heard anyone complain that CF hoods were too expensive on the IS before you came along

#114 ·
sorry to hear about your loss and its funny you ask am i going to be at sema? or at the drift comp on the 31st in primm? or at ATRA Expo on the 31st? the answer to all is nope..the next time im in vegas may be for Vegas Drift but this event on nov 22nd(at WSIR) is the end of my season until the is300 is together..
Thanks for your word and it is the truth about chinese made parts..some people still dont wanna believe greddy coilovers are made in taiwan and Exedy makes Cusco/HKS clutchs..I just posted the whole JDM thing because i know theres people out there who really care about if its jdm or not..

also when i say built cars i dont mean for show..i went down that road along time ago with HIN and a rx7..never again

#118 ·
sorry to hear about your loss and its funny you ask am i going to be at sema? or at the drift comp on the 31st in primm? or at ATRA Expo on the 31st?
neither, just thought you would be the type that have this type of fun with their cars:

also when i say built cars i dont mean for show..i went down that road along time ago with HIN and a rx7..never again
neither was that i meant, i thought it'd be something at a different caliber, for the runs like mexico runs, texas miles or rallies like gumball or gold rush..

cheers.

#120 ·
For the record, I never said that authentic hoods such as elixer, and bn sports were expensive compared to other cars, i merely complain that there are no cheap knock-offs of such things for our car, as i dont really care about the authenticity of such things.

#126 ·
i neither defend nor attack people whom post business type threads as described by this forums rules. but i will say that there are several other people on this board who are doing the same thing without repricussions simply because of their standing as members of this board.

not trying to stir shit, just trying to add some perspective.

#128 ·
Want to show some proof of this? NOONE on this site gets special treatment in regards to commercial selling. IF you get caught we warn you and lock it down if we catch them doing it in pms we ban them. You give us proof it doesnt matter who it is something will be done.

Being the moderator who moderates the for sale section i think you should learn what you are talking about before you make blanket accusations. So lets see some proof of whos doing it and some names. PM is fine.

#127 ·
We lock down commercial sales. If you seriously think that some members are getting away with it, you can PM me or another mod and discuss it. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some commercial type sales by PM which we can't monitor but I'd really like to see how you figure there are people getting away with it because of their standing here.

#129 ·
^^^ Ditto! Friend or foe, old school member or newbie, if they violate the rules I shut them down. IF the violation is not that bad I either PM them or issue a warning.

Okay mccarthyism, show proof and I assure you it will be taken cared of.

#134 ·
wow i didnt know this was still going on ...but if you guys wanna see how it turned out
http://my.is/forums/f93/my-full-drift-build-updated-11-27-09-a-391109/index9.html
oh and ive also noticed something else...how alot of people were pointing out that the rear vent is "NOT functional" but most
mercedes benz come like that from the factory...crazy

I do belive im the 1st state side with a hood like this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.