Should I get coilovers first or refresh the suspension? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Should I get coilovers first or refresh the suspension?

Hey everybody, new member here for my first post! I'm planning on getting coilovers but I was wondering if I should refresh suspension first? From what I've read here, these are the components that are commonly replaced:
#2 LCA bushings
#1 LCA bushings
Front lower ball joints
inner and outer tie rods

Not sure if I'm missing anything else. It has 104K miles, but I'm wondering if all these parts NEED to get replaced asap or can wait. Maybe I can drop on cxracing coilovers first, then replace these components after? Looking for opinions/advice. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Garage
Very interested to know about this too! I have an old set of Tein Super Street coilovers and all stock bushings and ball joints etc and I'm looking to get all that replaced after hopefully getting a new set of BC coils
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Nice, I heard BC coils are really good, but I guess I'm going with cxracing cause money constraints. how many miles do you have on your stock bushings and ball joints?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:38 AM

Garage
No idea sadly because I bought it used and i'm the 4th owner. Very spotty service background so hard to say... Currently have 75,000 miles though but I have very little knowledge of suspension parts and components and servicing...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 06:07 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)

Quote:
Very interested to know about this too! I have an old set of Tein Super Street coilovers and all stock bushings and ball joints etc and I'm looking to get all that replaced after hopefully getting a new set of BC coils
Since you can't replace most bushings on this car, you'd have to pay to replace the control arms and the ball joints. If you're going OEM you're going to pay a pretty penny for the parts.

Typically you inspect and just replace what's worn out. The balljoints seem to last about 150K miles.
LancerDaHero likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
Since you can't replace most bushings on this car, you'd have to pay to replace the control arms and the ball joints. If you're going OEM you're going to pay a pretty penny for the parts.

Typically you inspect and just replace what's worn out. The balljoints seem to last about 150K miles.
Actually, instead of replacing the LCA, I'm planning to get the FIGS #2 LCA bushing. I think it's probably time to replace the bushings, right?

Should I go for OEM ball joints or aftermarket, like Moog?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)

Quote:
Should I go for OEM ball joints or aftermarket, like Moog?
I have moog on mine. Wish I'd bought OEM instead. Nothing particularly wrong with the moogs. I just don't know how they they compare to OEM.

As for the #2 bushings. I'd inspect them. My van has the same kinda setup and the #2 's with 202K miles on them are still fine. If they're cracked or torn significantly, they need to be replaced.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
I have moog on mine. Wish I'd bought OEM instead. Nothing particularly wrong with the moogs. I just don't know how they they compare to OEM.

As for the #2 bushings. I'd inspect them. My van has the same kinda setup and the #2 's with 202K miles on them are still fine. If they're cracked or torn significantly, they need to be replaced.
true. I just went ahead and bought the #2 LCA bushings cause I'd like to improve the handling feel. Shipping next week so we'll see how it goes. I think I'll hold off on ball joints for now and do them after coilovers, probably around 150k miles like you said.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Careful on getting polyurethane like the figs, I did that as well pressed it out and in my self and did few other things poly. Makes the ride noticeably rougher, but the main thing is the stiffer bushings will ware the rubber ones down faster. I have mostly everything Moog now #2 from figs is still there and has held up well for few years now. If you get coilovers don't go cheap
riffraph37 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectpat84 View Post
Careful on getting polyurethane like the figs, I did that as well pressed it out and in my self and did few other things poly. Makes the ride noticeably rougher, but the main thing is the stiffer bushings will ware the rubber ones down faster. I have mostly everything Moog now #2 from figs is still there and has held up well for few years now. If you get coilovers don't go cheap
thanks for the heads up man. I'll look into the Moog bushings. Did you replace any bushings from the rear as well?

Also, I've been reading a lot on coilovers for a while, and although BC racing is said to be the best bang for your buck, I've heard a lot of good things about cxracing too, which is around the same price as Megan EZs. Idk if I want to shell out an extra $400 for BC racing coils since I don't think I'm going to track my car anytime soon, just spirited driving around the back roads, and to get rid of the horrendous wheel gap lol.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraph37 View Post
thanks for the heads up man. I'll look into the Moog bushings. Did you replace any bushings from the rear as well?

Also, I've been reading a lot on coilovers for a while, and although BC racing is said to be the best bang for your buck, I've heard a lot of good things about cxracing too, which is around the same price as Megan EZs. Idk if I want to shell out an extra $400 for BC racing coils since I don't think I'm going to track my car anytime soon, just spirited driving around the back roads, and to get rid of the horrendous wheel gap lol.
I was looking to replace my coilovers too... and CX Racing was gonna be my first choice but they don't offer the spring rates I need so i'm probably gonna have to save up to get BC Racing ones with the custom rates. So much conflicting info on this forum. Some say CX Racing are great and don't perform any worse than BC Coilovers. People also say they're built in the same factory so theres not much difference whereas some say that you'll die if you go any cheaper than BC Racing... So i'm pretty conflicted here. Do I get CX Racing coilovers and get a set of Swift springs? Or just go for the BC Racing coils with custom spring rates...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerDaHero View Post
I was looking to replace my coilovers too... and CX Racing was gonna be my first choice but they don't offer the spring rates I need so i'm probably gonna have to save up to get BC Racing ones with the custom rates. So much conflicting info on this forum. Some say CX Racing are great and don't perform any worse than BC Coilovers. People also say they're built in the same factory so theres not much difference whereas some say that you'll die if you go any cheaper than BC Racing... So i'm pretty conflicted here. Do I get CX Racing coilovers and get a set of Swift springs? Or just go for the BC Racing coils with custom spring rates...
Honestly, I think people who say you'll die if you get cheaper coilovers are exaggerating a bit. Unless you get really cheap ones under $500 or some obscure brands, i don't think it'll cause any accidents. CXracing on the other hand, there are already a lot of people who have had this set-up and I've never heard of anyone having any major problems with them. Only disadvantage I've heard from cxracing coilovers is that the front is too low even at max height. However, I think the OEM top plate spacer trick can add about half an inch to the ride height. I'm not really sure about the swift springs but I've heard nothing but good things about it. But if you're looking for a softer ride like stock, I think the Swift springs stiffens it up quite a bit, so just have that in mind.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Honestly, I think people who say you'll die if you get cheaper coilovers are exaggerating a bit. Unless you get really cheap ones under $500 or some obscure brands, i don't think it'll cause any accidents. CXracing on the other hand, there are already a lot of people who have had this set-up and I've never heard of anyone having any major problems with them. Only disadvantage I've heard from cxracing coilovers is that the front is too low even at max height. However, I think the OEM top plate spacer trick can add about half an inch to the ride height. I'm not really sure about the swift springs but I've heard nothing but good things about it. But if you're looking for a softer ride like stock, I think the Swift springs stiffens it up quite a bit, so just have that in mind.
Tell me more about the top plate spacer trick? Is there any way to add height to a coilover's max ride hide?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerDaHero View Post
Tell me more about the top plate spacer trick? Is there any way to add height to a coilover's max ride hide?
Apparently, there's a metal plate on the OEM shocks that you can use as a spacer for the new coils. Here's the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab9981 View Post
i found out how to gain a little more clearance.
I used the top metal brace (washer thingy) for the stock suspension, reversed it and placed it on top of the strut.
This helped me gain some clearance.

Been riding now since i installed them. I don't rub and i love them. Looks great. Rides great. These were a great purchase.

I've read somewhere that this trick can add about 1/2 inch or so. And he is on cxracing coilovers as well.
LancerDaHero likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Apparently, there's a metal plate on the OEM shocks that you can use as a spacer for the new coils. Here's the post:

I've read somewhere that this trick can add about 1/2 inch or so. And he is on cxracing coilovers as well.
Wow thanks for the reply! Seems incredibly interesting! Shame that I bought my car like it is right now though. Could really use every mm I can get on the rear right now to be perfectly honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page