Replacing Strut Mounts - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lurker

bluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community member
Replacing Strut Mounts

I am replacing my suspension and my mechanic said when i do it im going to need new strut mounts.. i spoke to lexus they said factory mounts from them are going to cost $400.. does anyone know of aftermarket mounts? i found some kyb front mounts but cant find any rear mounts.. any help would be great!
bluebird03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addict

my.IS Supporter
Yogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community member
Why do you need all 4 replaced? Are they damaged? I'm sure you can still use them, I haven't seen one yet thats damaged. The only thing I've ever seen was a stud snap off the mount. At any rate,

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...xus/is300.html

For around $90 you can get all 4. Note the rear is only replacing the bushing, not the whole assembly. Again, these things don't really go bad. My car had total 100,000 miles on stock mounts and I looked at the mounts and they look damn near new...

Don't waste your money...

If you need a real shop to look at everything for you and install things, you can call Tach Motor Works, 516-608-9930. They do all things IS300 and they're in NY. Ask for Lucky.

By the way, OEM is CHEAP. $60 for each front mount and rear is like $20 each side for the bushing cushions (upper and lower). --> total is around $160.

You can get them at L-tuned parts (Carson Toyota).
Stoptech 4Whl BBK, Full Figs Suspension, KW V3, ProEFI 128, ID2000, Squash DBL Pumpr, Dual Tanabe Exhst
Check out my Build Thread =) Hiral's Build Thread

Last edited by Yogujuhere; 02-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Yogujuhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lurker

bluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community memberbluebird03 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogujuhere View Post
Why do you need all 4 replaced? Are they damaged? I'm sure you can still use them, I haven't seen one yet thats damaged. The only thing I've ever seen was a stud snap off the mount. At any rate,

Lexus IS300 Shock and Strut Mount - Free Shipping - KYB, Monroe

For around $90 you can get all 4. Note the rear is only replacing the bushing, not the whole assembly. Again, these things don't really go bad. My car had total 100,000 miles on stock mounts and I looked at the mounts and they look damn near new...

Don't waste your money...

If you need a real shop to look at everything for you and install things, you can call Tach Motor Works, 516-608-9930. They do all things IS300 and they're in NY. Ask for Lucky.

By the way, OEM is CHEAP. $60 for each front mount and rear is like $20 each side for the bushing cushions (upper and lower). --> total is around $160.

You can get them at L-tuned parts (Carson Toyota).
at auto parts warehouse what should i be looking to buy the kyb fronts and what else? thanks for the help
Old 02-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addict

my.IS Supporter
Yogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community memberYogujuhere is an elite community member
Print it out and show it to your mechanic and ask him what you need.
Stoptech 4Whl BBK, Full Figs Suspension, KW V3, ProEFI 128, ID2000, Squash DBL Pumpr, Dual Tanabe Exhst
Check out my Build Thread =) Hiral's Build Thread
Yogujuhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lurker

Thanks will do! I appreciate the help man
Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Frequenter

af22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community memberaf22 is an elite community member
i think you may be replacing the strut mount bushings, not the actual strut mounts. there isn't a reason to need to replace the studs unless you snapped one in half. the bushings on the other hand wear out after 10 years / 100k miles.
af22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Frequenter

mumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community member
Does anyone know why the strut mounts have a (L) and (R) on them and also arrows? They seem symmetrical so I'm not getting it. I searched the net and no one really talks about it. thanks.
mumathew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Addict

Ek9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community member
The center shaft hole isn't symmetric. It leans. The L and R are telling how to position the top hat when you install them on the SHOCK. You're right though, nothing is documented. I position the top hat so, the arrow points forwards and in the direction of the letter so, L = arrow pointing to the left front. I don't know if this is correct but, it seems to work for me.

I know I'm being pedantic but, we don't have struts. We have coilover shocks. The difference between a strut and a shock is a strut is structural, it actually holds the top of the wheel into place. A coilover shock, is just a shock, with a spring around it. It doesn't actually hold the wheel on.
Ek9B18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Frequenter

mumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community membermumathew is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
The center shaft hole isn't symmetric. It leans. The L and R are telling how to position the top hat when you install them on the SHOCK. You're right though, nothing is documented. I position the top hat so, the arrow points forwards and in the direction of the letter so, L = arrow pointing to the left front. I don't know if this is correct but, it seems to work for me.

I know I'm being pedantic but, we don't have struts. We have coilover shocks. The difference between a strut and a shock is a strut is structural, it actually holds the top of the wheel into place. A coilover shock, is just a shock, with a spring around it. It doesn't actually hold the wheel on.
I had a place do my shocks a few years ago and they didn't bother using the arrows for anything so it may be backwards. I'm going to look into it. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Addict

Ek9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community member
The top of the mount is a rubber bushing so, I imagine it's just bending in the direction it needs to bend. If you're not having any issues, I probably wouldn't mess with it.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Frequenter

Does anyone else have any other info on this as to whether or not it matters which way the arrows point?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Addict

Use a bit of logic.

Do you think Lexus would mark them if the marks weren't supposed to be used? If they were truly symmetric they wouldn't have marks.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
Use a bit of logic.

Do you think Lexus would mark them if the marks weren't supposed to be used? If they were truly symmetric they wouldn't have marks.
Random arrows don't tell much of a story. The shop manual doesn't mention anything about arrows. I was planning on rotating the strut mounts but was hoping for more info on this.

Last edited by mumathew; 08-04-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Addict

More power to you.

I just reinstalled mine the other day. Removed lowering springs and swiched to GC coilovers on Koni shocks. It's so much easier to do with GC's. Don't even need a spring compressor. Remember, everything has to be lined up before you release the spring compressor. The top hats and the ABS Sensor mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)