Help! How do you reclock a rack and pinion? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

ABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community member
Help! How do you reclock a rack and pinion?

I just replaced my rack and pinion and all front bushings on my IS. I took it to the alignment shop, and they said I have to reclock my rack. Does anybody know how to reclock the rack and pinion? Any help would be appreciated.
ABSTran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Ek9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community member
I'd read the manual and see what it says. Basically the steering wheel has a limited range. Turn it too far to the right or two far to the left and you'll probably destroy the clockspring in the steering column.

Assuming you're relatively close. I'd turn the wheel till the inner tie rods are the same distance from the rack on both sides. Then disconnect the couple between the rack and the steering shaft. Then turning the steering shaft as little as possible, re-center the steering wheel so, it's pointing mostly straight ahead. Then re-connect the steering coupler. The alignment shop can fix some steering wheel alignment problems with the tie rods but, if you're too far off (which it sounds like) there's not enough adjustment room.
Ek9B18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

ABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community memberABSTran is an elite community member
Thanks EK9B18 for the help. I was way off center so I finally have to reclock it which is something new to me. I pulled the rack from the steering column and did exactly what you mentioned but more intense. We were doing the calculation method but it was still off. So, we decided to slap the wheels on pull,adjust, and put back on the rack to the column for precise center of the steering wheel. It took a lot of tries to get it down but we did it. I am just curious how off we are on the camber and toe because we were just eyeballing it, but it drove pretty straight and smooth. Again, thanks EK9B18 for the advice because now I know what reclocking means and how to adjust it.
ABSTran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Ek9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community memberEk9B18 is an elite community member
You're only going to be able to get close like this. That's why you need to get it aligned after you're done. The steering shaft and coupler is a coarse adjustment. The tie rods are used for the fine adjustment and to set toe.
Ek9B18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)