Lexus IS Forum banner

Gabriel shocks any good on IS300?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  THMotorsports 
#1 ·
Hello all.

So I have some weird suspension noise and I need to get some new shocks apparently.

**Talking front end here** **Also, bought this car used - 2004 IS300 Sport Edition. Had 90k, has 148k now**

Before, I had a problem that when I reversed out of my work parking spot, when I turned the wheel all the way, I would hear an instant "knock/clunk" and when I turned the wheel back, it would do it again.

Saw that my lower control arm #2 bushings were bad so I switched them out to new ones and now that noise is gone. But NOW, event he slightest bump/hole on the road causes all sorts of ugly noises. If I go over a speed bump and I hit the break I hear a clunk. If I reverse and then forward again and brake I hear it. Its a very consistent noise. If I go over holes or anything, just sounds like a bunch of clunks and tiny rattle.

Had the mechanic shop raise the car a couple of times and both times they said everything we tight and good. They checked inner/outer tie rods, lower ball joints, end links. They said everything looked and felt good. Had the mechanic drive with me and he said it seemed like shocks/shock mounts to him.

So, since TWICE I had them pass all the other stuff (tie rods, ball joint, etc), I'm going to go with the shocks. My rear shocks appear to be aftermarket. Theyre yellow. Bilsteins maybe?

Anyway, any advice or input on this? When I hit dips, I can tell the car has too much bounce. I just wasnt aware that all the clunking and knocks could come from there. I did read in another post someone said that the "change rattling" noise had to do with the shocks/shock mounts so that was clue. But Im no mechanic and I cant say for sure.

Anyway, I'm just look for a good, OEM, "sporty" ride. Gabriel is a GREAT price. I read lots of negative reviews from early 2000s but as of 2012 and up I keep reading great things about them. I know KYB is there too, bilsteins and the tokico blues.

I would really like to just keep the price of the Gabriels but cant anyone vouch for them on the IS300?

See less See more
#2 ·
Tired struts and shocks can most certainly cause clunking noises, as can worn top mounts.

Gabriel and KYB will certainly get the job done if you're in a pinch, but it won't last as long or be as sporty as a Tokico, Koni, or Bilstein. Shoot me a message or give me a call. We can go over some options and get you a discount to get you back on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.