Front steering knuckle clearance - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Front steering knuckle clearance

I'm having clearance issues between the wheel barrel and the steering knuckle/hub assembly on the drivers side. Tried replacing the knuckle, hub, and LBJ. Anyone have any ideas? 100% stock and on drivers side only. Clearance on passenger side is like 7-10mm, drivers side is MAYBE 1mm if I'm lucky. Car has not been in any accidents to my knowledge and is relatively low mileage. Nothing is visibly worn or bent. I have also gone ahead and done the #2 control arm bushings and put in FIGS adjustable caster ones to add some + caster thinking that may help but it did not

I moved from stock wheels to ISx50 which is when this problem showed it's face, they were hitting. Tried swapping back to stock and saw how close it was to begin with. I'm currently on the X50 wheels with 5mm spacers but I have some tokico blues with H&R springs that are waiting to go on. I'm not going to start doing anything until I get this all sorted so I'd like to figure this out ASAP.

*I have upper ball joints on the way and FIGS #1 lower control arm bushings waiting to go in as well

Note: This is on an '02 SportX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Sounds like you have a bent spindle upright in the front. I would get an alignment done to see what the castor and camber specs are in the front.

Also, which IS wheels are you talking about? IS250 or IS350? 17" or 18"? I run the IS250 17" wheels on my car but I can't stand the sunken look, so I have 15mm/25mm spacers f/r. I have no problems with anything clearing.

02' Manual w/MKIII LSD and no sunroof.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
Sounds like you have a bent spindle upright in the front. I would get an alignment done to see what the castor and camber specs are in the front.

Also, which IS wheels are you talking about? IS250 or IS350? 17" or 18"? I run the IS250 17" wheels on my car but I can't stand the sunken look, so I have 15mm/25mm spacers f/r. I have no problems with anything clearing.
My apologies, it is the staggered 18" split 5's which are fairly aggressive. With spacers they're right at flush with the fender which is a little too much for a DD IMO

And as mentioned in the previous post I already replaced the spindle knuckle assembly. It was a used part that I replaced it with but the car it came from did not have this issue. As far as I can tell that is the only thing that "should" affect the clearance of the wheel to suspension pieces. Haven't read of anyone else having this issue so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Also, the alignment was waaay off the first time. Got it corrected and all in spec aside from caster which was 5.5* on on side and a hair over 6* on the other. I think I'm going to aim to put them both somewhere in the 5-7* range this time with the adjustable caster bushings. Kind of a pain in the a$$ to adjust them since they have to be pressed out and back in to increase or decrease caster...

Last edited by zjohnson1; 02-14-2017 at 08:00 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)

I'm assuming you're talking about the distance between the wheel/tire and the upright part of the knuckle.

1 - I'd measure the actual offset spacing on the wheel. Might experiment with swapping wheels left to right and re-measuring.

2 - Might measure from the knuckle to the face of the hub to make sure they're exactly the same on both sides.

Quote:
*I have upper ball joints on the way and FIGS #1 lower control arm bushings waiting to go in as well
Should have nothing to do with this issue. The wheel to knuckle clearance is fixed based on the height of the hub, the wheel and the knuckles itself.

I wonder if you had a non-oem hub installed at some point of if this is just normal manufacturing tolerances that just stacked against you.

Quote:
I think I'm going to aim to put them both somewhere in the 5-7* range this time with the adjustable caster bushings. Kind of a pain in the a$$ to adjust them since they have to be pressed out and back in to increase or decrease caster...
Castor won't change wheel to knuckle clearance either.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

1- That's my next plan of attack, kind of hard to believe that's the issue since it happened with both the old and the new wheels but it makes the most sense

2- I'll try that while I'm swapping wheels side to side

Agreed, it doesn't affect it but I'm just going through every piece while it's all apart. More so stating it to show that pretty much everything is fresh

My first hub was definitely original. I have every receipt and service record of the car since it was new. The assembly that I replaced it with however, there's no telling. I will try doing the measurement compare sides though

Understood, the wheel position in relation to steering knuckle remains completely unchanged because the hub is fixed. Caster would essentially just push forward the bottom of the assembly
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Update. I had the FSM and was doing all the frame measurements side to side to see if maybe a mount was bent or something. No luck. Checked the wheels just to make 100%. Total freak accident; the sportcross comes with staggered wheels. When the PO had new tires put on they were mounted with a front tire on a rear wheel put in the drivers front corner. Tires were all directional so they could only go on 1 way. Enter second set of wheels that I picked up. Apparently those were mismatched too, a rear wheel with a front tire mounted on the drivers front corner and directional tires. Got the tires switched around last night and all is good now. Thanks for the help everyone
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)

Quote:
When the PO had new tires put on they were mounted with a front tire on a rear wheel put in the drivers front corner. Tires were all directional so they could only go on 1 way. Enter second set of wheels that I picked up. Apparently those were mismatched too, a rear wheel with a front tire mounted on the drivers front corner and directional tires. Got the tires switched around last night and all is good now. Thanks for the help everyone
Ha, it's usually human error. Can't trust the tire guys to get it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page