Lexus IS Forum banner

FIGS 12.7" Supra TT Rotors Big Brake Kit effectively for $2-300

18K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  konaboi808 
#1 · (Edited)
Figs OEM Plus 1 is the no brainer upgrade for ANY IS owner needing / thinking of replacing their front rotors; Why not go with what compares to the E46 M3? The E46 M3 has 12.8" rotors with single piston sliding calipers (the IS300 has 2 piston floating).

Sure the multipiston fixed calipers look terrific but cost as well as fitment considerations put this upgrade into a completely different league that is realistically way above what more than 95% of IS owners want (even though like me they may fantasize about it). This includes the Supra TT caliper upgrade which is certainly an attractive cost effective one but still costs more than double and will not fit the OEM rims without spacers.

So lets get real:

1) New quality solid slotted rotors will run anywhere from 200-300 pair so this is money that HAS to be spent anyway SO why buy the OEM 11.7" rotors when for virtually the same price you can buy the 12.7" Supra TT rotors.

2) So the only actual additional cost is the RB caliper brackets for 200-300 depending on how much you figure the rotors cost. The only other potential cost are 4 new dust boots which cost $7 each (peanuts)

4) This is an easy DIY job so a complete bargain with no expensive labor costs...Even if you paid a mechanic it is a simple job.

5) This absolutely FILLS but also absolutely FITS the OEM 17" rims. NO Spacers needed.

7) This is the bargain performance upgrade and you can read about this in other threads.

8) You can easily go back to stock and sell the brackets (which are not a wear and tear item) and the rotors if they are still good (if not then any Supra TT rotor will work) on to another IS owner when you sell your car.

9) Support FIG, one of our vendors

10) When the IS first came out 11.7" rotors was very respectable. Not so anymore. anything under 12" is tiny.

MORE INFO:
Why RB OE caliper kit is different from others - RacingBrake.com
Big Brake Kit (OE Caliper, Slot) - IS300 FRONT 00-05
http://my.is/forums/f174/racing-brake-oem-1-bbk-release-thread-now-shipping-367122/

See less See more
Reactions: -Tom-
#3 ·
Finally. One post indicating some curiosity.

Fig may know for sure. PM him.

My Dad has an IS200 and based on just a visual, when I checked out of interest, it looked the same but I wouldn't make any purchasing decisions based on this. (Not that I necessarily assumed you would)

Seriously most people are all too eager dress their stock calipers up by painting then and putting on the Lexus stickers and there are pics all over this forum of this: Why not add 12.7" slotted rotors to this especially when people are also all to eager to throw on 18" rims that make the stock rotors look puny?

#5 ·
i think most people dont want to buy it cuz of the looks compare to a supra tt calipers. For me it doesnt look like a bbk to me cuz of the bracket. Maybe if Fig made the bracket look more like a bbk i think more people will jump into it, thats what I think.

#9 ·
From a purely looks point of view your comment is very valid. I also thought that if the RB bracket looked bigger (like the BMW single piston brackets these days that are huge) then it would look cooler.

But 12.7" rotors vs 11.7" is already a big improvement in looks and the cost factor is being overlooked. Going to even the TT calipers would be double-triple the OEM plus one.

The pity is that at the end of the day, most people don't care/ don't know about performance and focus 100% on looks.

But I think the point should be pushed with this OEM Plus 1 upgrade...Maybe a wider choice of rotors including the crossdrilled would help the cause.

#11 ·
The Figs and Racing Brake pages show the Slotted rotors, not the Crossdrilled.

#13 ·
my question would be towards performance then.
if the rotor is increased in diameter size by 1 inch, are there different pads to buy to accomidate for the size difference?

#14 ·
Since the OEM caliper is used, the OEM pad is used. The leverage is there with the spacing and you can certainly purchase pads that operate at higher temperatures. The Hawk hps pad compound is the most compatible with the RB iron alloy. Most larger brake kits actually use a narrower pad that is longer...this is also the reason why they have more pistons to apply even pressure and avoid pad distortion. In this case, the pad is Dependant on the caliper and piston design, not the rotor. You want a pad shape that correctly applies the force of the pad surface against the rotors. So the pad shape should not change.

#15 ·
that pretty much answered my question. once again Fig you are the man.

Can you get the cross drilled or is this only for the slotted?

#17 ·
I installed this kit on my car yesterday and the feel during normal driving is nearly identical to stock. The pedal feel is still strong & consistant even under repeated braking

When you really start to lay onto the brakes it is much more consistant. The heating process comes on much later & stays much cooler than the stocks.

The install was not hard at all. I do recommend buying the new dust boots which was $8 from Autozone.

#21 ·
Yep I will take care of my military customers. I appreciate your service to our country and the sacrifices you make so that we do not have to. I will extend this offer to all military beyond the end of the year sale. Just PM me when you are ready.

#27 ·
hey Figs,

Would you be interested in making a plate to retro fit Evo/STI/350z Brembo's (front) onto the IS300? Pm me. I have some great resources to get calipers and we do caliper rebuilds in house. If you can make the plate, we can honestly offer a killer BBK solution for under $900 for the front, along with pads too! Let me know, I always wanted to work with ya, and this would be excellent.

Thanks in advance,

Edward
1-800-959-0145
Sales@thmotorsports.com
THMotorsports - Discount Performance Parts Sale | Lowest Price | Free Shipping - Homepage

#29 ·
That would definitely be something good.:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.