User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

CXRacing coilover installation gone...weird

Hey guys. First time poster, long time creep (obligatory new guy opener).

I got my coilovers in yesterday and was super stoked to get em on. Everyone seems to like their cxracings. So I went through the arduous (despite everyone saying it's easy. It's hard) process of getting them on. Well I got the fronts on my beautiful MSM 5 speed with an LSD (I know. I know. It's incredible) at the absolute highest setting that they would go and I'm telling you now...it dropped it by about 2 and 1/2 inches. Not all the stoked. It's rubbing like crazy. Probably undriveable.

I'm wondering. Is there something that I did wrong? Or is that literally the highest it goes? I need at least another half inch of clearance preferably 1 full inch.

Any info would be great. It's also on the highest dampening and the spring is tightened in just enough to secure the spring without loading it too hard. Could I mess with this setting a bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

As of right now. I'm not impressed. Their customer service was awful. Then the product is just meh. I don't know. I did get them for a great price but it has been quite the process.

Everyone usually describes an inch shorter right off the bat but this was just ridiculous.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

The coilovers should have come with the preload set already, did you have to put them together or something?

Ride height should be set by spinning the lower mount.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

The preload was set but the locking screw on all of them was loose so I just crancked it in enough to engage the spring without applying pressure.

My main concern is rude height. It is loooow and the bottoms is all the way out to where the threads are barely visible through the hole.

Thanks for the reply!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Here's photographic evidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983_1483216396504.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	1,012.7 KB
ID:	105417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978_1483216433517.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	105425  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:31 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Looks about right to me, but you could probably add a bit more preload to the spring enough to stop the rubbing.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)

Quote:
My main concern is rude height. It is loooow and the bottoms is all the way out to where the threads are barely visible through the hole.
Yeah, that's silly-low.

Did you spec a spring length when you ordered them? Did you have to assemble them or were they pre-assembled when you got them?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Cxracing was meant to slam your car. I swear everyone that I've seen with cxracing coilovers for the is300 were aiming to go low. If you wanted to go an inch lower from stock why not buy springs instead. Does your wheels and tire combo have a larger diameter than stock? Because I had those coil overs on my car and I was tucking a decent about of tire (stock wheels) and I didn't rub at all.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1991 Toyota Tercel - SOLD
1994 VW Jetta - SOLD
1995 VW GOLF GTi - Parted Out & SOLD x2
2001 Lexus is300 - Current Daily Driver
I <3 Jesus
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it's crazy. No I didn't check the spring length. I was more concerned with spring rate since they didn't specify the length on any of their pages.
Also they were all preassembled and packaged super well! Haha. Opening them was awesome.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm running 18x8 enkei ekm3s (I'm an enkei man. They're cheap, look great, customer service is awesome. And I can probably drive them without tires despite being cast)
So definitely a different fitment but still not like a huge offset or anything weird. I didn't think they were that much different. My tires are pretty fat but nothing crazy. But these are like 2-3 inch drop out the gate. I was pretty blown away. I see people with them all the time that aren't even close to being that low.
If I had another half inch of clearance they'd be fine. They're just low enough to be unusable.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I also didn't buy sprigs because I figured it was time to just eat new struts haha.
Plus I wanna dump it when I wanna dump it and take it to shows. And raise it when it's winter. I'm in Utah so height adjustment is important. Because the weather here is crazy.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Why do you say it was hard to swap them? Just first time doing a coilover swap? There is a little bit of 'finaggling' to pull em out, especially on stock length, but I think this is one of the easier mods to do. I've had some cars where it was easier to use spring compressor due to stock spring length and then remove the assembly. Or, just pop off a few extra bits to get some clearance to pull them away.

Maybe your CX Racing version is a newer version with shorter springs, or its a clone with shorter springs and hence the price, or....

I don't know if it's any consolation but I think even my HKS coilovers are too low.... I've always had good luck with HKS in the past, but the latest version seems to go against their normal common sense
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)

Quote:
Yeah it's crazy. No I didn't check the spring length.
To me the point of a coilover replacement like this is that you can actually set the ride height. Otherwise there's no point to paying extra for coilovers.

How about pulling a front wheel off then posting a pic of one side coilover so we can eyeball the install?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

That's exactly how I feel what's the point in coil overs if I'm stuck at a dead drop?

Only issue with that (because that was my plan) is that now I'm putting the stock struts back onto it. So if anyone wants cx racing coil overs let me know! 600 shipped haha. I'm considering throwing them back on but right now it seems unhealthy.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

From lurking around this forum for months, I've heard that the front struts being too low is a common issue with the cxracing coilovers, but I also think that having 18s instead of stock 17s is making your problem worse, and possibly also the size of your tires.

There is a way to increase the height a little using the parts from the stock struts, and I've heard this trick can add about 1/2 inch or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab9981 View Post
i found out how to gain a little more clearance.
I used the top metal brace (washer thingy) for the stock suspension, reversed it and placed it on top of the strut.
This helped me gain some clearance.

Been riding now since i installed them. I don't rub and i love them. Looks great. Rides great. These were a great purchase.

If you really wanna keep these coilovers and raise it an inch or more, look into getting front strut spacers. They're made of polyurethane and you can get them for $30+ from amazon. Although most people use it to raise SUVs and trucks, I don't see why it won't work on a car.

Good luck solving this issue, cause I'm tryna get CXracing coilvers too lol
whatthe and SP2Pilot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page