LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Budget big brakes for IS300 - IS350 front calipers/rotors/pads

Hey guys,

As an 11+ year owner of my IS300 I've come to appreciate it a great deal for both the engineering excellence but also just my own emotional attachment to the car. I dabbled with the idea of selling the car this year and even went so far as to take it in to my mechanic's shop for them to give it a once over prior to listing it.

Somewhat to my surprise, the only real issue that could find with the car were my stock brakes were in pretty bad shape. This is on a 139k mile car with 5MT/LSD and are completely original, meaning all-original pads and rotors (never replaced). So, I obviously got my money's worth! All the rotors are actually in decent shape, but my front drivers side caliper is freezing a bit, creating drag on the wheel. Brake pads are marginal on all corners.

This put a wrinkle in my plans to sell, but mostly in a good way as I wanted to find a reason to keep the car and this proved to be it. Knowing there was no way I'd put stock brakes on the front again, I went off to find out what my modern alternatives were. It came to my surprise that it is now possible to use IS350 front brake calipers and rotors with some adapters I found, and I'm now piecing together this kit. There are a few guys already roaming around with this kit, and the advantages are pretty numerous:

- OEM upgrade from a newer Lexus
- 4 piston caliper, versus 2 on the IS300
- Calipers made out of aluminum (supposedly), versus iron on IS300
- 13.1" rotor, versus 11.65" on IS300
- Pretty affordable pads/rotors considering size

I've been told they will NOT fit stock IS300 wheels though, and can prove that once I have them as I also have a spare set of those.

Best of all, these parts (including caliper adapters) are all pretty easy to come by, much more so than a Supra TT brake upgrade, and priced just as good or better. I'll let you guys know when I get this together and any impressions I'm able to offer of it, but it's really neat to be able to finally pursue a front brake upgrade on this car that I love so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5136s.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	98194  

Steve Theodore
2014 Nissan GT-R
2010 Porsche 911 GT3 RS
2007 Subaru Impreza STi
2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Nice, got a few questions though.

What does the adapter kit include?

Why did you go for IS350 brakes instead of a LS400 Brake kit?

How much did it cost vs an LS400 Brake kit conversion?

Is it just as easy as an LS400 brake kit conversion?
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'll give much better answers soon, once I have all the parts and get the work done. Keep in mind I've never done IS300 brakes before so it's hard to compare them to anything.

I chose this IS350 solution as it's bigger, affordable, and based on (supposedly) aluminum calipers. The Supra TT calipers and LS400 calipers are cast-iron. I'm therefore not sure that this upgrade I'm pursuing will be cheaper than an LS400 one as I don't know if you need caliper brackets for that, but assume you do. In terms of ease, there is trimming required from what I know for the dust shields and things like that, but installation will be left to professionals as I have a regular shop that does my projects for me.

I'll let you know more once I know more, including pictures and details. This was more about announcing that there is a new option available as I suspect that others may be interested too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobster View Post
Nice, got a few questions though.

What does the adapter kit include?

Why did you go for IS350 brakes instead of a LS400 Brake kit?

How much did it cost vs an LS400 Brake kit conversion?

Is it just as easy as an LS400 brake kit conversion?

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Steve, Keep us posted on this, I saw those adapters yesterday and now I cant find the post. I'm wondering how the clearance is going to be. I'm currently running an LM replica wheel and the TT calipers are not in the cars with this wheel.

03 Black Onyx
-LS2 V8
-Supercharged
-588hp 495ft/lbs

Build Thread http://my.is/forums/f114/natural-pro...s-swap-557481/
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Fiend

Saw a guy in a is300 facebook post selling adapters for about $120. Is this what you are talking about?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.1.3 View Post
Saw a guy in a is300 facebook post selling adapters for about $120. Is this what you are talking about?

Saw that too got a little confused... Is this better than the supra brake upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Fiend

Well if he can make it work then yes its better than the Supra TT brake package.

13.1 inch vs 12.7 discs
Calipers is lighter than supra TT.
It is newer and so maybe easier to find.

I think thats about it.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:27 PM

So, would installation be like this guide? DIY: LS400 Caliper Install. The only concern would be the necessary RCA spacers for the IS350 Calipers
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 02:42 PM

hey everyone, i'm selling these adapters. i know i haven't posted anything on this forum but i have read and had several questions

there's really not much to it

when it comes to the kit itself, all it is is a bracket allowing you to mount the is350 calipers onto the is300. as far as specifications and stopping power and basic physics i do not have any of that, much like the other guys don't either.

i will say however, that they are less expensive, larger, and newer than the tt brakes. i know the name supra is not attached but does it really need to be?

these calipers do come on several other lexus models, as well as the fact that other brakes can work with these.

there's really not a whole lot too it other than a quick, easy and effective bolt on bbk setup. It doesn't need to be over complicated. feel free to message me on purchasing, i do have a website they are about to be listed on, but as of now they all come through me an are made to order. i will post pics later this evening.
as i know Steve will be aswell when his set gets in tomorrow.

i'm just happy to bring new affordable brake options to our platform!!!!!
AutoTech likes this.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)

What rotors are used with this swap?
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
What rotors are used with this swap?
i'm only going to answer this one more time. the OEM rotors. i used the OEM is350 for everything but again, they are a multiplatform brake setup.

OEM everything
rotor
caliper
brake lines

if you want to, you can upgrade to the drilled and slotted and braided lines while you do it, that's what i did, but that is totally on whoever is putting them on the car, i only sell the bracket as of right now. and that's just to keep cost down for you guys
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

The suspense is killing me...
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yes, I want to know what this set would cost once complete as well as others. Its getting harder to find LS400 brakes around here. IS350 seems would be easier in the long run with finding parts.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allturbo View Post
Yes, I want to know what this set would cost once complete as well as others. Its getting harder to find LS400 brakes around here. IS350 seems would be easier in the long run with finding parts.
When you say $ once complete compared to others, it all depends on how much you find calipers, rotors etc for. So for that you have to shop around and see what you can find. On the other hand, his adapters are a set price and he's the only one making them.
hankpitz likes this.

Mike
'02 AR IS300; M98 L-Tuned
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

ENKEI KOJIN 18X8.5+35/9.5+30
---------------------------------
DIY: Nav+Aftermarket HU
DIY: Timing Belt

My Thread
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I am interested in this, so I got on amazon and priced out some of the brake parts for a 2007 IS350

Centric brake hoses (2) - $33.76
Centric rotors (2) - $152
Bendix Calipers (2) - $280
Centric brake pads - $33
Brackets - $120

Grand total = $620

Now I am certain you can bring that total down a bit by searching around online. I just used amazon as a quick search reference. I did not price the parts anywhere else.

Also of note, I didn't price out the cheapest option either. Centric and Bendix are pretty decent daily driver level stuff. I am not gentle on my brakes, and not afraid to spend a little more money on brake parts.

If you are truely selling a budget brake upgrade option, a list of part numbers can be helpful. If nothing else, the year, make, model of the car to source the parts from. Some guys might be able to yank some of this stuff off a car at the boneyard..... or order it from LKQ.... hrmmmmmm

Just some thoughts and feedback.

now I need to search LKQ's parts listing

Last edited by Jaysz28; 07-02-2016 at 03:46 AM. Reason: more blah, blah, blah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page