Bad Springs or Bad shocks? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lurker

meyersk76 is an unknown at this point
Bad Springs or Bad shocks?

SImple dumb question.....How do I know which need replacing?
Can someone inform me of the symptoms that may occur for each?
My 02 with 75K on it seems fine, but that's because I've never driven an IS with 5K on it If I can get away with one or the other, I'd like to do that. If it has to be just springs, I'd consider Eibach as long as its a near factory feel ride.

I remember awhile back someone here had a OEM spring/shock set with ~10K on them for sale.....I shoulda jumped on that

Last edited by meyersk76; 04-10-2006 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Just read the "All-purpose suspension noise thread"
meyersk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guru

lextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community member
Well I know when my shocks blew that they made a metal clunking noise whenever I hit a bump. And they spewed oil all over things.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Extremist

2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
chancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community member
Well your springs should last the life of the car. As for your shocks thats a different story. If you feel a lot of roll in your turning or bounce when you go over bumps
( bouncing more than 2 times over 1 bump ) then you need new shocks. Also a harsh ride will also make you need new shocks.

If you want as close to stock aftermarket springs then Eibach prokit will work fine with new stock shocks
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancellor842
Well your springs should last the life of the car. As for your shocks thats a different story. If you feel a lot of roll in your turning or bounce when you go over bumps
( bouncing more than 2 times over 1 bump ) then you need new shocks. Also a harsh ride will also make you need new shocks.

If you want as close to stock aftermarket springs then Eibach prokit will work fine with new stock shocks
thx.....all seems good, I just tend to feel alot more bumps and such when daily driving now. I guess that just what happens when you get used to a car. I've only had it about a montha nd a half. Seemed to have been much smoother at the time of purchase
Old 04-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Extremist

2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
chancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community memberchancellor842 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyersk76
thx.....all seems good, I just tend to feel alot more bumps and such when daily driving now. I guess that just what happens when you get used to a car. I've only had it about a montha nd a half. Seemed to have been much smoother at the time of purchase
If those are the original stock shocks then they will probably need to be replace sooner than later.

If you do decide to change the stock shocks out I would go for the Eibachs springs at the same time. It makes everything a lot easyer.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Enthusiast

wenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community memberwenger828 is an elite community member
a simple test to see if your shocks are out. push up and down on the car on each corner and see if the car bounces up and down alot. thats a good way to tell if the shock is out, other than that, if the ride is very bouncy, then your shocks are probably screwed.

Boosted by Boost Logic/GTE shortblock/r154

SOLD!!!!

'11 Shelby Cobra GT500 - 554rwhp
wenger828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancellor842
If those are the original stock shocks then they will probably need to be replace sooner than later.

If you do decide to change the stock shocks out I would go for the Eibachs springs at the same time. It makes everything a lot easyer.
easier as in less costly for me to get it all done at once.....I realize

But, will the eibach's essentially make it feel stock-like? I gather its a higher rated spring than stock(I suspect), plus 1" or so lower, so it seems I wouldn't be gaining any comfort unless I put stock OEM springs back on. Am I correct?

I come from a 300zx on GC coilovers with KYB's with no gap and that was a pretty comfy ride to be honest. Just seems as if I read alot on here regarding super stiff and uncomfortable IS's when ANY spring is installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)