Opinion about Rebuild Engine or Aristo Swap (Turbo) - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:57 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)

My answer remains mostly the same over the years.

I went with Aristo swap and would do it again. I wanted the bigger coolant pipe around the block, the better exhaust valves (especially since I have log style manifold), intake manifold on the correct side for putting in an intercooler, etc.. as well as for having an unopened factory GTE block with correct rods/pistons/etc.. Most of the local machinists won't achieve the surface finish that I like and see a lot of head gasket failures as a result.

The downside is that as the GTE engines age, the risk of finding used ones from wreckers that need of some kind of work goes up. So, guys may be faced with pulling the motor and doing an engine build no matter what.

I agree on piecing things together if you can do some mods/fab. A 3" exhaust by Brand 'x' won't perform any better than 3" generic pipe.

If you really really really would like to do something a certain way, but figure you will just compromise for now and do it the way you thought of first in the long run.... save yourself time and money like these guys say and just make the sacrifice up front. If you want to do engine build because people doing swaps suck in your area, do it that way. I thought I would like to do a V160 up front, but wasted some time/money on other options. Of course I say that and now that there are other transmission options out there, I'm wondering about getting rid of the V160.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:50 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
^ I agree. Gotta be smart with the monies.

My other regret is building the automatic. Although I was able to sell it and get a good chunk back, still should have bought the 6 speed sooner. Thank goodness I didn't wait too long before the new price jack on the Getrag. Of course, that option was never for everyone. There's a huge market for autos even back in the 70's. Call me old fashioned, I love a manual.

If I could do it all over, I'd piece every single part of the car together myself, to my specification. I threw a lot of money away trusting vendors with "cost effective" solutions. I realize now, it's just marketing and hype. Their way is cheap in the short run, expensive in the long.

What I've learned is to go super expensive in the short run and cheap in the long.
Goes back to the "pick two" adage.
I did a full aristo swap and single turbo setup. I am currently running the stock auto with the valve upgrade and cooler. I have about 12000 miles on the build with 410 hp and 390 tq with no issues. However the power is limited/set to this because of the transmission.

I am curious on what auto transmission build you did that you seem to not be happy with. I feel a full manual swap is too difficult and expensive due to lack of parts. Also more important, I daily this car and sit in an hour plus of traffic and a manual kills. I have considered a built auto from companies that can hold 700 hp or so which is more than enough for me.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

With a valve body and cooler the stock trans should be good for 500TQ. I think companies advertise 600hp.

That's what I did with the stock trans. I didn't like the way it shifted even after upgrading the torque converter to a higher stall. The TC helped soften up the shifts but was still annoying.

Really the main reason I regret building it was because I planned on going manual anyway. Should have just went with the original plan, saved a little longer and did everything I wanted out of the gate.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
With a valve body and cooler the stock trans should be good for 500TQ. I think companies advertise 600hp.

That's what I did with the stock trans. I didn't like the way it shifted even after upgrading the torque converter to a higher stall. The TC helped soften up the shifts but was still annoying.

Really the main reason I regret building it was because I planned on going manual anyway. Should have just went with the original plan, saved a little longer and did everything I wanted out of the gate.
I'm afraid to push the transmission more until my second car arrives later this month. Plus the wet weather makes traction stupid. I have been eyeing this:

http://powerdynamix.com/#!/Fully-Built-A650E-Transmission/p/42753794/category=5548271

Also for the thread topic. You might want to consider emissions. I knew I could go for the full aristo swap and not worry about emissions. It is possible to make it emissions compliant but way out of my knowledge and patience range. If I had didn't have a way to get around it, I wouldnt have done the full swap and would have turbod
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Aristo,Swap it and enjoi stock power. Piece together turbo parts. Then go single,fuel etc...
As for tranny. Theres a thread on the supraforum about max power people putting down on stock or build 340s.
Or you can always go 6speed.

Im building a NA-GTE.
I got the motor for free.
But rebuilding it with quality parts got expensive.
U can always buy a ebay full rebuild kit for $200, but cheap now turns out very expensive later.

Another option is 1.5j

But it all comes down to your power goal.
For example, lets say ur goal is 400ish
Get your motor, put rod bearings, TT HG, ARP Studs,injectors, fuel pump, timing components.
Piece together turbo parts and call it a day.

Dont forget Manager and Tune🤘
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuspuppy View Post
Looking back on my NA-T build, I wish I did an aristo swap.
Number one rule is don't go cheap on parts. Don't buy reps, and try to avoid used items
I have an engine on the side getting ready to be built. Also a tranny. (My tranny w/o valve body upgrade took a beating) I don't know man. It just depends on your goals. I get a bit tired of people telling me "oh only 10 psi, that's cool I guess" and then walking away completely uninterested. So looking at more power in the GE ends up being more costly than if I had an aristo swap. That's my 2 cents.
I honestly love my auto tranny , even tho manuel is the way to go for better hp but my goal is 300 maybe 350 but i dnt think stock tranny under 75k with valve body upgrade can handle more then 300 hp. or maybe im wrong
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

^^^ theres only one way to find out, theres plenty of auto trans going for really cheap here in California, i don't know if its like that in GA
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I would build what you have and save the extra money on other parts, its nice to know you have a quality built engine from top to bottom than a "ticking time bomb" with a swapped older engine, of course projected power output that you want has a big effect on the outcome to go with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page