Opinion about Rebuild Engine or Aristo Swap (Turbo) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Opinion about Rebuild Engine or Aristo Swap (Turbo)

Let me begin by saying hello to the member of my.is i have respect for the the site and staff and member, since they always been helpful and encouraging.

i am sure most of the reader will find that the question is the same question and little searching might and will answer my current question. but we all know the truth we are the owners of the 1st-Gen IS300 for me my car is 15 years old and for some of you guys little less IS300 is still hot car and i am still in love with it, but you can't ignore the fact that 7 8 years ago or more it was even hotter and most thread and forum were busy talking about different mods around the time the point is a lot has changed and new players are in the game so as me who is trying to achieve a goal i can search and read everything that is out there to know about engine swap and rebuild stock engine but those information's are old and links are expired. anyway i just want to explain my end why i am posting new thread and i want you guys to know that i do respect this site and its rules and their staff as follows its members.

for those who are willing to take their time to educate me i will appreciate it. in my current situation with my car i am the point that i think i will never sell my car and i like to keep it as longs i can. just like many of you guys i wanna turn my n/a IS300 to turbo now i know they are so many different routes but i wanna know my foundation first A) should i rebuild my existing engine with Supra block and Piston and go from there and if i do that my auto transmission can't handle the power (even with valve body upgrade) can it be rebuild? or is it even worth it to do that B) Aristo Swap which comes with transmission and can justify the HP that i need but it needs modification to be done and knowing that i will lose my E-Shift option.

Now if you guys can direct me with your own experience and knowledge i be great full this is gonna be expansive project for me so i am gonna really take my time to piece things together. so any information would be great.

Thank You Sincerely
Farzin.V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I would definitely go the Aristo route but do you have a local shop that would be doing this for you or is this something that you will attempt to tackle on your own. Reason I'm asking is because there's a lot of things that you might run into that will require a knowledgeable person or shop with prior experience with swapping an aristo motor into an IS.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

after doing an aristo swap (single turbo, dual clutch, fuel system, r154) it is not cheap. Figure out what your goals are and go from there. At the end of the day a bolt on kit from SRT or similar will be much cheaper than doing an aristo swap properly. The stock twins are ceramic and cant handle much boost, some break under stock loads. Then there the fuel system, ecu wiring, intercooler piping (which all comes in the srt kit). Im not saying its better, but its cheaper. Unless you want to make big power. Than a low milage jdm motor is a better choice.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The bolt on kit is a moot point if you still have to get a shop to rebuild the engine anyways. The older the car I would just save up and do an Aristo engine swap if you trying to keep it somewhat simple and biggest thing find an shop who did a bunch of aristo swaps as close to your home as you can. Nothing worse than to do it cheap and now your running around with a engine swapped car with problems that cant be resolved.

Good luck...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

First of all sorry for being so late on reply i been busy with school and work. and thanks for the reply guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_PSI View Post
I would definitely go the Aristo route but do you have a local shop that would be doing this for you or is this something that you will attempt to tackle on your own. Reason I'm asking is because there's a lot of things that you might run into that will require a knowledgeable person or shop with prior experience with swapping an aristo motor into an IS.
i thought about the Aristo swap and its too much modification that needs to be done and unfortunately i live in Atlanta GA which is hard to find a reliable person or if you find someone they charge arm and leg, so i was thinking about lower mileage transmission with valve body upgrade and rebuild engine with GTE block and Pistons and Rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerry View Post
after doing an aristo swap (single turbo, dual clutch, fuel system, r154) it is not cheap. Figure out what your goals are and go from there. At the end of the day a bolt on kit from SRT or similar will be much cheaper than doing an aristo swap properly. The stock twins are ceramic and cant handle much boost, some break under stock loads. Then there the fuel system, ecu wiring, intercooler piping (which all comes in the srt kit). Im not saying its better, but its cheaper. Unless you want to make big power. Than a low milage jdm motor is a better choice.

at some point i want to by my own build , more like craft something by myself i think the SRT swap is great but i do also like the challenge of figuring things out myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.1.3 View Post
The bolt on kit is a moot point if you still have to get a shop to rebuild the engine anyways. The older the car I would just save up and do an Aristo engine swap if you trying to keep it somewhat simple and biggest thing find an shop who did a bunch of aristo swaps as close to your home as you can. Nothing worse than to do it cheap and now your running around with a engine swapped car with problems that cant be resolved.

Good luck...
the car is old and i was thinking about low mileage transmission with valve body upgrade and rebuild engine with GTE components.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I agree with you and I'll be one to say you are being wise. Aristo engine sounds cool and m4d tyte, but honestly, it can be a crapshoot....and an expensive one at that. Strap on a gte shortblock, piece out a turbo kit and put the big money towards the transmission and call it a day. If I had to do it all over again, it's what I would do. I have spent a lot of money and still have a somewhat stockish aristo engine. Good luck either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

i think its gonna be better option for me, how much hp do you think a auto transmission with valve body upgrade can handle transmission condition under 100K or maybe less under 70K

and thank you for your honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaCTioNaL View Post
I agree with you and I'll be one to say you are being wise. Aristo engine sounds cool and m4d tyte, but honestly, it can be a crapshoot....and an expensive one at that. Strap on a gte shortblock, piece out a turbo kit and put the big money towards the transmission and call it a day. If I had to do it all over again, it's what I would do. I have spent a lot of money and still have a somewhat stockish aristo engine. Good luck either way
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

It's been known to be sturdier than the manual. With a vb upgrade I've heard it handle into the low 400ish but I would keep it under just to be on the safe side. Maybe someone else that knows more about the IS A/T can chime in...or do a quick search and look at what pops up because I am 100% sure this has been discussed.

Quote:
IS3TT
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Looking back on my NA-T build, I wish I did an aristo swap.
Number one rule is don't go cheap on parts. Don't buy reps, and try to avoid used items
I have an engine on the side getting ready to be built. Also a tranny. (My tranny w/o valve body upgrade took a beating) I don't know man. It just depends on your goals. I get a bit tired of people telling me "oh only 10 psi, that's cool I guess" and then walking away completely uninterested. So looking at more power in the GE ends up being more costly than if I had an aristo swap. That's my 2 cents.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

You've had some bad luck.

Quote:
IS3TT
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)

I'm extremely happy with the decision to build mine. Buying one from a junkyard or those JDM engine retailers is a gamble.... not to mention, I'd probably build it anyway. So just pulling the GE out and building was easier and cheaper. Since built it has ~10k miles and runs perfect at only 20psi.

On the subject of turbo kits - The only thing left from my turbo kit is the turbo and the intercooler. Everything else has been modified or replaced... and it was a very comprehensive kit! Came with a Haltech E6X, injectors, fuel pump, etc.. Again, only the turbo and the intercooler are still used.

I do regret the decision to follow the hype of a kit. Should have just pieced one together from the start.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

I've toyed with the idea of buying a junked GE and taking the time to build it then swapping and selling my gte swap. Then again I'd either sell w the transmission and have to get a new one or without and the money would not be enough. At this point I don't want to keep throwing money away so that decides it.

Quote:
IS3TT
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Cherisher

^ I agree. Gotta be smart with the monies.

My other regret is building the automatic. Although I was able to sell it and get a good chunk back, still should have bought the 6 speed sooner. Thank goodness I didn't wait too long before the new price jack on the Getrag. Of course, that option was never for everyone. There's a huge market for autos even back in the 70's. Call me old fashioned, I love a manual.

If I could do it all over, I'd piece every single part of the car together myself, to my specification. I threw a lot of money away trusting vendors with "cost effective" solutions. I realize now, it's just marketing and hype. Their way is cheap in the short run, expensive in the long.

What I've learned is to go super expensive in the short run and cheap in the long.
Goes back to the "pick two" adage.

-Hiral
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

It's crazy what the Getrags are fetching these days. I'm perfectly happy with my little R154 even though it shifts like a truck. Even the R154's have gone up in price. I am keeping a close eye on how AR5 fare as people start beating on them and if they seem to hold up I may consider going down that route in the name of driveability

Quote:
IS3TT
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Cherisher

I've been watching the Nissan transmissions as well. Installing them is almost land of the unknown but I'm interested.

Really want a SportCross for a daily. The goal is to supercharge it with a nice manual box. I can live with 10psi on something like that.

-Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page