User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Really? So I shouldnt do this? Should I just buy the emanage ultimate and go dyno the car now then?

2003 Satin Black WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002fivespeed View Post
Really? So I shouldnt do this? Should I just buy the emanage ultimate and go dyno the car now then?
yes! i'm interested in your numbers
post #93 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Fiend

I'm interested in results also, but while we are waiting I might as well say something atleast somewhat useful.
Cold air = denser = more oxygen = more power.
Hot air = opposite. Our intake is ingeniously placed right next to probably the hottest part of the motor.

There are three different types of heat, radiant, conduction, and something else.
Plastic resist heat, metal absorbs and conducts heat.
Stock intake is a ram air directing flow directly into the throttle body. It's sn enclosed system not allowing engine heat to be sucked in. the air flow passes through quicker the the engine heat can heat up the stock plastic, therefore remaining cool.
An open element sucks in all that wonderful heat. An aluminum intake gets really hot and passes more heat through. Also on open element you lose ram air.
An insulation wrap is good on headers because it holds heat in. not sure if it would be useful on an intake. Should probably look into radiant heat wrap. Might work better.

Probably the most effective set up would be a plastic joez, header wrap, and a heat shield on the headers. Also header wrap causes exhaust gasses to travel faster through the exhaust making the car more efficient. I lost my original train of thought, but hopefully I covered enough for this post to make sense.

R.I.P.-2004 GGP IS300 5spd MT
ralco ss/twm shift knob/11 lb fw/Cenerforce DF/ 4.11's/O2 delete/cddd/ ss clutch\brake/Crank Scrapper/ Joez Intake
USS Kitty Hawk- GWOT-OEF-OSW-OIF
2011 Harley Davidson SL Sportster

post #94 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Fiend

Ok well I only wanted to buy Figs heatshield but he doesn't make them any more. I am patiently waiting for the new model to be undisclosed As for wrapping the headers, I read that a lot of people had big problems with this such as the headers overheating leading to melting and cracking. Shouldn't I be worried about this? I just wanted my numbers to be 1-3hp higher when I go on the dyno and I know the hotter the car gets the lower my numbers will be every pull. That's why I'm so concerned with heat soak right now. Right now I have a plastic (I believe) AEM intake so I'm on the right track. Is wrapping the headers difficult? Expensive? And again, should I be worried about header failures?

2003 Satin Black WRX
post #95 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002fivespeed View Post
Ok well I only wanted to buy Figs heatshield but he doesn't make them any more. I am patiently waiting for the new model to be undisclosed As for wrapping the headers, I read that a lot of people had big problems with this such as the headers overheating leading to melting and cracking. Shouldn't I be worried about this? I just wanted my numbers to be 1-3hp higher when I go on the dyno and I know the hotter the car gets the lower my numbers will be every pull. That's why I'm so concerned with heat soak right now. Right now I have a plastic (I believe) AEM intake so I'm on the right track. Is wrapping the headers difficult? Expensive? And again, should I be worried about header failures?
Header Wrap

Page 2, read the post by Bezik where he quotes himself saying more info...

Im prepping my headers and y-pipe for paint and wrap so ill post something about my process so people can get an idea of it if they've never done it. My first time also so don't expect to see professional work. Been reading and asking lots of question on it. Really isn't rocket surgery though.

Lexus IS300 AR
Altezza||HKS||JOE-Z||Megan
1999 Honda Accord R.I.P.
2002 Honda Civic SI EP3 SOLD
2002 Audi A6 Quattro SOLD

Last edited by dai_ka_IS; 01-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.
post #96 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Fiend

How slow or quick the headers deteriorate is tired to the type of metal, quality of work, and how close you are to salty atmosphere. The wrap creates a scavenging effect, almost like a really small turbo sucking out your exhaust. Get on some v8 forums, they have years of experience. Some mods won't show up on a dyno such as ram air. the physics are different while in motion. But these things start deterring from this being an intake thread.

R.I.P.-2004 GGP IS300 5spd MT
ralco ss/twm shift knob/11 lb fw/Cenerforce DF/ 4.11's/O2 delete/cddd/ ss clutch\brake/Crank Scrapper/ Joez Intake
USS Kitty Hawk- GWOT-OEF-OSW-OIF
2011 Harley Davidson SL Sportster
post #97 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Hi, i saw your post regarding KN intake, did you had to do a ECU bypass or was it just play and play of the air filter with no electrical stuff required. The reason i am asking is i am looking to buy the KN for my IS 300. Thanks!
post #98 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Aficionado

Are you planning to get just the air filter or the full intake mod? Either way no you don't. Straight plug and play.

Lexus IS300 AR
1999 Honda Accord R.I.P.
post #99 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
No ecu mods required on any basic aftermarket short ram intakes other then custom over sized tubed intakes....

Support The Troops - OIF Veteran - SSG of Soldiers - AND PROUD OF IT

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #100 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Help with HP on 01 IS300

So I'm kinda new here and not too sure if I'm doing this right but anyway, I am pretty new to the car scene, with me being only 16 and all but I own an IS and love cars. I wish I knew more about them and want to learn but no one in my family really knows but heres my question: I was wondering what bolt-ons would increase me in HP? I already have a Megan racing catback (resonator pipe to tip) and was looking into an intake. I saw the SRT that could put out 22hp with the ecu, but thats $500 so I was thinking something along the lines of a K&N typhoon. Also, what are the differences/advantages of a Short ram to Cold air? Next I saw something about a Volo Performance VP-12 chip. It connects to OBD2 port and it is supposed to provide a little bit more power and better fuel econ. As I am going for power, the econ could mean less to me but I also wanted an opinion on that if necessary. Any other ideas would be very helpful. I do have a budget so if you do suggest any other parts or replacements, please post with a price. Thank you!

Thanks, and again sorry if i did this wrong. I know with forums the rules are strict.

-Garrett
post #101 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
Yea this is the wrong section. All bolt on mod info goes into the "Go fast section"

Your pretty much on track. The only other performance mod I would suggest are:
Cam gears (BC)
K&N intake is fine
Lightweight flywheel (findanza)

I don't recommend headers because they were just too loud and it increases high end power, it seemed to take away from low end torque.

A lighter flywheel and cams will give you the most noticeable change even with these mods you won't be too fast but it will be quick and more fun. Stock the IS300 makes 180whp
With these mods I'd say you'd make 200-205whp.

I also recommend suspension, sway bars, front and rear braces, coilovers/ lowering springs. Sway bars are the most bang for their buck.

All this info is already widely discussed in the go fast section.only way to really make the 2JZ go faster is turbo , NOS, or Supercharger. But $$$$$$$$

01' IS300 2JZ-GTE Aristo Stock Twins (for now)~ Current
01' MSM IS300 NA-T 380whp@11psi~ Sold
post #102 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's nice to finally see someone actually simply answering someone's questions instead of being a complete douchers and typing "search."

2001 IS300
Hand Made, Not Mommy Paid.
post #103 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Altruist

Welcome
as said, more power related threads on is300's should be in the go fast section, or "go faster" if you've got serious cash to burn. I'll let it slide, ANYWAY, this forum is packed with huge amounts of information. I suggest you read read read for a while. Save your money up for quality mods. DO NOT buy some plug in ecu thing off ebay.
since your car is a 01, it has to be a automatic, so a light weight flywheel is not a option. just a heads up there.
Cam gear on the exhaust is not a bad idea, do a search for more info on that.

here's a short list of my old IS300's mods that made it decently quick, and a lot more fun to drive.
Hotchkis swaybars
SRT intake w/race ecu **look on the for sale section, snag one cheap**
Xerd headers and Y pipe (I don't think Xerd is around anymore)
Rod millen muffler. used stock resonator sounded great, wasn't excessively loud.

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.
post #104 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM

Thanks joney, ill look for that thread and the for sale section. Also that is why I was getting an opinion. My car has 160k on it so cheap ebay stuff cant be good for it. I thought that Is300's came stock with 215hp? Also for cam, would Ben Crower stage 2 cam be good? They're supposed to add 20 some hp and thanks to you guys I know that cams a are great way of increasing power. Are these things that with internet guidance I could install myself? I do know the basic layouts of engines and I'm not too stupid. I think...
post #105 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Aficionado

Stock IS is 215 yes but not to the wheels. Motor puts out 215hp but once power is transfered to the wheels, a percentage is lost, hence 180whp (wheel horsepower). "Brian" Crower lol are very good cams. I believe the majority of members on that have cams are running BC cams. Check this thread out for more info on it.

Official IS300 Cam/Head Thread

Lexus IS300 AR
1999 Honda Accord R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page