LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai_ka_IS View Post
If you are talking about the one for the SRT intake, it comes with the intake when you purchase it. Not too sure if they sell it separate. You can always go on SRT's website to check. If you just have any other intake than you can just get the Apexi Safc or a full standalone. Some of our vendors should carry those.
Yea I bought a cheap ebay intake and I need one.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK

Semper Fi!

SXE10 CREW MID-SOUTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Aficionado

Why do you say that?? I don't think you should with an ebay intake unless lithe diameter if the pipe is huge. Look into the Apexi Safc once you've got your other bolt ons and than you can get a simple tune with it.

Lexus IS300 AR
Altezza||HKS||JOE-Z||Megan
1999 Honda Accord R.I.P.
2002 Honda Civic SI EP3 SOLD
2002 Audi A6 Quattro SOLD
post #48 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
He's talking about the recu..^^

Support The Troops - OIF Veteran - SSG of Soldiers - AND PROUD OF IT

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___

post #49 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Aficionado

Ok thanks

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country, I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it." -JFK

Semper Fi!

SXE10 CREW MID-SOUTH
post #50 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)

The "ecu mod" I have is part of the SRT intake, comes with the SRT intake, and only works with the SRT intake.
post #51 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Fiend

I was thinking of getting a full intake, but I hear something about water going inside? idk im not too sure someone was telling me, im still noob about the intakes. its under the hood how could water be getting inside unlesss its like under the car or something?
post #52 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Aficionado

It happens when you have a true cold air intake where the piping runs down towards the bumper and the filter is pretty much sitting inside the bumper away from the heat of the engine bay, hence the name cold air intake. Usually will happens if you actually go into a deep enough puddle, your car eventually hydro locks and game over.
Most if not all intakes for our cars are short ram and stays inside the engine bay so not much to worry about.

Lexus IS300 AR
1999 Honda Accord R.I.P.
post #53 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianxp View Post
I was thinking of getting a full intake, but I hear something about water going inside? idk im not too sure someone was telling me, im still noob about the intakes. its under the hood how could water be getting inside unlesss its like under the car or something?
i'm not sure what you mean by "full" intake but I know that if you go with say the budget joez intake that uses the stock airbox and put in a drop in filter thats not going to be a problem. I haven't read anything about water going inside with any of our intakes either. maybe you mean an intake with a long pipe that travels down towards the front bumper? if so I don't think you'd get much more gains over such a thing and it would be more work.
post #54 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel1212 View Post
i'm not sure what you mean by "full" intake but I know that if you go with say the budget joez intake that uses the stock airbox and put in a drop in filter thats not going to be a problem. I haven't read anything about water going inside with any of our intakes either. maybe you mean an intake with a long pipe that travels down towards the front bumper? if so I don't think you'd get much more gains over such a thing and it would be more work.
What he wanted to do at first was stick a k&n cone filter to the stock pipe. So im assuming by "full intake" he's talking about an actual full mod, not just the filter.

Lexus IS300 AR
1999 Honda Accord R.I.P.
post #55 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
CAI (true cold air intake)- is an intake system that draws air from outside the engine bay.
SRI (short ram intake)- is an intake system that draws air from inside the engine bay.

Since our intake system on the IS300 is pretty good on its only , when adding an intake its best to tune it to get max HP potential with other supporting mods...

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #56 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 AM

My airbox is cracked, before the filter, so not super bad, but figured I WOULDNT replace it with another OEM, thinking of going aftermarket. I like that Joe Z pipe, and a Blitz filter, but that wouldn't solve the cracked box problem... hmmmm
post #57 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
^^^ sounds like a good time to upgrade , the KN intake is a nice choice.

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #58 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai_ka_IS View Post
It happens when you have a true cold air intake where the piping runs down towards the bumper and the filter is pretty much sitting inside the bumper away from the heat of the engine bay, hence the name cold air intake. Usually will happens if you actually go into a deep enough puddle, your car eventually hydro locks and game over.
Most if not all intakes for our cars are short ram and stays inside the engine bay so not much to worry about.

thx again! i finally know what it means by the short ram intakes, how much better is the short rams compared to the drop ins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezik777 View Post
CAI (true cold air intake)- is an intake system that draws air from outside the engine bay.
SRI (short ram intake)- is an intake system that draws air from inside the engine bay.

Since our intake system on the IS300 is pretty good on its only , when adding an intake its best to tune it to get max HP potential with other supporting mods...

thx! I have a feelin im probably gonna get the short ram

I currently have a drop in k&n right now, I want to get a SRI but I wanna know the difference before I do. Does it matter if its not a famous one like injen or something? lemme know thx

Last edited by JohnnyChimpo; 02-21-2012 at 01:42 AM.
post #59 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Unless you live in california and need CARB approval just do either:
a/Joe-z or PLP intake pipe
b/SRT intake

option A plus your drop in filter will net you the same or slightly better results than most SRI's at around 8-10whp, an SRT intake is about as good as it gets for an intake 18-22whp(with their ecu) but is also far more expensive and fairly hard to get(very poor shipment times & customer service...unless you live close enough to pick it up from them)

'01 ASP 17x8 ssr comps 225/45 all around, LS400 bbk, FX-R 3.0 projector retrofit in JDM headlights, Modellista front, c-speed sides/rear, Rigid Bars, Hotchkis sways(stiff), Konis & eibach prokit, PLP intake tube & K&N filter, JIC Ti axleback w/ custom midpipe...more to come ;)
post #60 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page