post #1 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
~Official~ IS300 INTAKE THREAD

Official Intake Thread

Post up any comments, questions,concerns or helpful info....

------------------IS300 Intake page-----------------------
This thread will be full of DIY, Intake installs, Comments and Questions for the Lexus IS300
1: JoeZ Intake
2: SRT Intake
3: Filter cleaning
4: MAF Cleaning, Header Install , 80mm TB
5: Manufacturers, Product Part #s ,Comments, MSRPs
6: Intake Sound Clips..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezik777;5814617[B
DYI:#1 To Install Joe-Z Intake on a IS300 01-05 [/B]
I just bought the car a month ago and this is my first Mod (when i told myself i wouldn't mod anything lol)
Figured i would post a DYI on my experience for future Newbie installs .

#1 Remove the Neg. on the battery , anytime you work around the engine bay this is a good idea. (also resets computer to recalculate for the mod 20mins off will do this)

#2 Next we need to remove that big black cover 4 bolts 10mm , easy just don't drop any of the bolts in the engine bay may take a bit of time to locate.

#3 Disconnect the vac hose at the rear of the intake tube . All you will need is your two fingers and slide off(I did this first , so when i got excited to pull old tube out i didn't yank it and cause other problems. )

#4 Grab your Phillips and loosen the clamps at each end of the intake tube for removal.

#5 Remove stock intake tube...

#6 Picture shows one of the benefits of upgrading to a Joe-Z intake . Inside of the intake tube and the resonator and this shows the non-direct flow of the stock intake tube ....Joe-Z is straight throw and free flowing .
(Stock intake tube)
#7 I now took the time to clean the Throttle body and MAF while i had everything apart , you don't have to but why not knock it all out . I just loosened the 5 bolts on the throttle body enough so i could spray both sides of the throttle body butterfly and used automotive rag to clean out . For the MAF i sprayed it out with a MAF/electronics cleaner ...

Throttle body was a little dirty...

Bolt back up all 5 bolt and TB now clean and is back on.(When bolting up with your other hand support the TB from moving , makes it easier...
#8 Install New Joe-Z intake tube (there are a couple ways of going about this is only one way .)

I started with TB side (used windex to help slide on)

#9 Then to make it super easy i removed the bolts holding the air-box to the fender wall for easy install of the bottom of the tube to air box..

#10 Tighten everything down (don't over do it)
#11 I then swapped my stock filter for a Blitz Performance filter (too add some extra flow)

Stock ------------------------------------------------------ Blitz
#12 Double check make sure everything is tight and where its suppose to be , then put your big black cover back on (don't over tighten bolts)
#13 Reinstall the Neg on the Battery (leave hood open )
Get in your car START it up (mine really didn't wanna start the first time Second time fired right up (results may vary) Now its going to run ruff for about 15-30 sec. mine was only about 10 sec.
Now just let it run for 5-10mins soo the computer can check up ....During this time make sure everything is tight (shut hood)

Now Enjoy the best bang for your buck!!!! I noticed 3k to 6k rpm the car is more spirited and very smooth ....

Shout outs .....
Joe-Z ----Awesome quality product for true tuners A++++++
Cesar at Carson Toyota Awesome Service A+++++++

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 SRT Short ram and R-ecu Complete Install
Thanks Lexus01IS300 for the write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus01IS300 View Post
Alright well I was looking around and thought it would be nice to have something to show the do it yourselfers that this install isnt hard. Since ive been on this forum ive noticed a few people ask where they should go to have their Srt Intake installed? Trust me its not that hard.

Tools Needed:

1) Phillips and Flathead Screwdriver
2) 10mm Socket and Rachet
3) Extension for the Socket
4) Soldering Iron or Gun (Your Preference)
5) Solder (Of Course)
6) Wire Strippers
7) Electrical tape

Now to get started

First thing you wanna do it disconnect your negative cable off your battery

Next thing we need to do is take off the OEM Intake system. First you gotta take the engine cover off which is being held on by 4 nuts. Once that is taken off take you phillips screwdriver and take off your MAF sensor on your intake tube.

Then there should be another sensor on the right side of the airbox being held on by a 10mm bolt. Take that off and disconnect the tubing to the airbox.

Now to take the intake off. There should be 3 10mm bolts holding the box in. This is where your extension comes in handy to get down and get them. Now you need to take off the bracket off up where the intake goes in to.

Once that is loose your will need to play around with it as it might be stuck on there abit. Once that is ready to come off disconnect the hose attached to the intake tubing up top. Now your intake should come out.

Next thing you wanna do it get the heat shield that came with your kit and put that in where your OEM airbox was.

Now you can install your new Srt Intake piping on just like the oem piping. Air filter will need to go on after you get the piping on and through the heatshield. Once that it on there connect your MAF sensor on your new piping with the new bolts that came with the kit. Make sure you have it on the right way (Should be an arrow). Your want the arrow pointing the way the air is flowing (Into the engine, Not towards your filter). Now we should be ready to move onto the ecu install.

Ecu Install:

First you need to take the 3 10mm bolts off of the cars ecu cover located behind the drivers side headlight.

Take off the cover, then you will need to unclip the white cover over the wire harness of the ecu.

Ok now for the stripping of the wires. You will only need to remove the insulation from the wires besides 1. The other 1 need will need to cut the wire. There is a few wires u might need to dig around to look for in the harness but easy to find. If you need to remove some of the tape holding the wires tight together. I only need to do this for 1 of the wires. Now this all depends on your year of the car. My car is a 01 so I followed the 01 Diagram.

Now finding the wires( in the pic above im on the drivers side looking down at the ecu.

In the red box (above pic) the 12v Black/Red wire is the first 1 in the left upper corner.

In the black box The Ground (Brown) wire is the first 1 in the left upper corner. The Sensor 1 (Green/Black) wire is *starting from the left upper corner* is 3 over and the 2nd one down. Sensor 2 (White/Red) wire is *starting from the right upper corner* is the 2nd one over.

In the blue box The Ignition RPM (Black/Red) wire is 3 over and the 2nd one down.

Now remember you dont need to cut them all just strip the insulation away. The wire you need to cut is Sensor 1 (Green/Black).

I just stripped all the wires first then moved on to soldering instead of doing 1 at a time.

Here is the diagram if the wording above was confusing enough

Now take the correct color wire from the Srt ecu and match them with the correct wires on the oem ecu from the above diagram (Remember, Above pic is for 01 model). The pic below is for the 02+

To start just wrap the wires around each other then solder.

Remember to use electrical tape and wrap them up good. Can be difficult because the wires are so close together(Maybe try liquid electrical tape)? You should have enough room in the ecu to put the Srt ecu in there. Then put the cover back on and bolt it up.

Now just bolt the engine cover back on and reconnect the battery and make sure everything is picked up before trying to start the car so you dont not drops and hits the fan

When your all finished it should look like this

If you have any questions or compliants about this please let me know so I can fix it asap. I know I got poor grammar so please tell me if something is mispelled haha.

Of course remember to put the coupler on the ram air. forgot to take a picture with it on.

If you having any trouble referr to the pic below

Enjoy your new Srt Intake!!

--------------#3 Filter Cleaning-------------------------------------
Thanks to edgy
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgy View Post
this method is THE BEST BY FAR!!!!! it is EASY & FAST!!! & relatively CHEEP too!!!!

OK... i just figgered this out last weekend...arguably the BEST method i have EVER used to clean Cotton gauze air filter media....i have been cleaning these types of filtersd for about 20 years :o now & nothing REALLY seemed to CLEAN the stuff thoroughly......

This started because i have an SRT intake w/a AFE filter, & i was cleaning it the usual way: spray on the cleaner let it sit.. .rinse it out... blah blah... it seemed to work OK... but i could ALWAYS still see dirt & crap stuck into the filter media down deep in the grooves/pleats... this was pissing me off... so i cleaned it three times the last time ...
soak with filter cleaner..let sit, .rinse...
soak again w simple green, let sit in the HOT sun...& rinse...
then AGAIN, soak with with orange glow cleaner & simple green then let sit & rinse....

STILL there was dirt & bug parts & oil grime down in the pleats & even at the ends of the outside pleats..... WTF!! & you DO NOT want to blast it from the inside with a water or air hose.. .you will damage the cotton that needs to stay in good shape to filter properly....

Then..I had an idea..

I got a small bucket... dumped two scoops of that Oxy clean crap /powder in it & then placed the filter in there.....next i poured 1 1/2 $1.39 2 liter bottles of generic CLUB SODA in the bucket.....(about 3 litres total...dep on the bucket you use...use a smaller one to use less Club Soda etc...)

WELL!!! that shit bubbled & foamed up almost Instantly & this greasy dirty film & TONS of dirt & crap just freaking JUMPED out of the filter gauze!!!!! the foam was all topped with this yellow filter oil & dirt & grime & bug detritus .. .it was amazing that all this crap was STILL in there after cleaning it traditionally 3 times..... the Club Soda was the trick for SURE the carbonation in that just 'boiled' the crap out of the cotton gauze fibers instantly...!!

SOO much crap came out i ended up using a piece of paper to scoop the nasty oily grime & dirt & such that was riding on top of the foam in the bucket out & dumped it so i would not have to lift the filter up & out thru that shit.... i swirled the filter around in the solution for about 3- 4 minutes & then let it sit for a minute or three.....finally I just shook it in the solution for a few seconds & pulled it out... OMG.. .it was CLEANER than NEW!!! I mean it was SPARLKING clean!!!! elapsed time: 10 minutes MAX!!

ALSO....this is VERY gentle on your filter media.. .(cotton gauze) & is MUCH better than blasting it with water & or air trying to rinse out the crap or blow it out all of which are highly discouraged by the filter makers....

let it dry properly, (Note without all that residual grease & grime still clogging the filter.. .it WILL DRY MUCH FASTER :D!) then oil it up & reinstall.... i actually have two filters so i do not have to wait on drying & oiling the filter to drive my car when cleaning filters i just keep one all oiled & clean & ready then i can take my time cleaning drying & oiling up the other one....

you can use ANY cleaning degreasing solution I would imagine...it was the Club soda not the 'Oxy clean' that made the HUGE difference.. but feel free to copy this method to a 'T' if you want to....

this should be a sticky!!!

you are all welcome....!!

:D

Ed G.

-----------#4 DIY MAF CLEANING -------------------------------
(Thanks to VP500)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP500 View Post
I just tried helping out another member and figured it would be useful. Sorry for the bad pictures, I did not have enough lighting and my camera is not the best.

I forgot to add this step. This step is very important.
Be sure to clean these items too which are on the MAF sensor as well.

*****IS300 Header Install DIY***********************
http://my.is/forums/f88/diy-header-install-352602/
Exhaust Comparison Videos --> stock header vs. silencer vs. aftermarket header

*****80mm Throttle Body page**********************
http://my.is/forums/f88/diy-lexus-80...cluded-418177/
N/A w/80mm TB **Update post#20**

*****Cam Gear Install*****************************
http://my.is/forums/f88/diy-cam-gear-install-383203/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezik777 View Post

Section 5
Manufacturer---------- Product Part #-- Comments-- MSRP*

AFE OE Replacement 30-10061 washable/reusable $70.23
AFE OE Replacement 31-10061 oil-free synthetic re-useable $52.67
Blitz OE Replacement 59505 cotton non-reuseable $46.00
K&N OE Replacement 33-2170 million mile warranty $70.76
Tom's Super Ram II 17801-TSP20 Foam re-useable $89.00
TRD High Air Flow PTR05-53010-08 washable/reusable oiled woven cotton $84.00
Upgraded Intake Pipe
Joe-Z Gen II Intake Pipe PM Joe-Z better flowing intake pipe, retains stock airbox ,Best bang for buck $99.00 (EST $160.00 JoeZ with drop in filter)

Intake Systems ****************************************
AEM Short Ram 22-464(B/R/P) Blue or Red powder coat or Polished,Very common CARB legal $190.56
Fujita F5 Intake SR-2401 polished short ram $214.40
Injen Short Ram IS2094(BLK/P) Black or Polished, now Gen III, Gen I&II caused CELs Best with Injen header heat shield$287.28
K&N Typhoon 69-8700TP includes heatshield, CARB legal $285.29
K&N FIPK 57-9018 includes heatshield,Plastic tubing less heat CARB legal $314.60
Mishimoto CF Intake MMCFI-IS300-01 carbon/kevlar intake never proven over priced $345.00
Rod Millen (RMM) Short Ram RMMIS011 includes heatshield $344.95
Swift Racing (SRT) Short Ram Proven 3.5" pipe, 5" filter, R-ECU A/F tuning box req. soldering $599.95
Area 51 (super rare) Air Box intake $250-$350

True Cold Air Intake ---------
LMS CAI Rare only true cold air intake made for the IS300 same as tube used in the LMS supercharger kits..Must buy used...$200.00

*************Intake Sound Clips***************************
JoeZ Intake

***********SRT Intake with R-ecu*************************

************AEM Intake*************************************

************KN Intake***********************************

************LMS CAI***************************************

************Injen Intake*******************************

Other Intakes
AREA 51
Area 51 Intake
Intake Snokrkel Mod
IS300 DIY: TU Intake Snorkel Mod (Proven, Cheap, Intake Modification)
DIY Intake
Homemade Air Intake inexpensive

Show Off Your Intake!!!!!!!!!!! :p

More to follow------------------

Support The Troops - OIF Veteran - SSG of Soldiers - AND PROUD OF IT

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___

Last edited by Bezik777; 01-12-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Fiend

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Awesome post!!! This'll definitely make things much easier for people wanting a new intake! +rep

04 IS300
MSM 5spd M/T LSD
[Figs][Blitz][CompetitionClutch][Mazzuri][TokenSolutions][BC 264][Titan]
[SwiftRacing][CXRacing]

Beneath Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom...
post #3 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Good stuff my man

post #4 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewha1226 View Post
Good stuff my man
Thxs , Any questions feel free to post up!

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #5 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Frequenter

Garage
Any thoughts on taping into the wheel well, for those willing to cut a hole under where the oem box used to be?

I read over something about maximizing length of the intake to make power all the way up to 6k+ rpm

Just thinking

-01 MSM IS300 & 05 Mazda3-
post #6 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
^^^ Been there done that ......(LMS CAI type) - I loved the way the set up sounded , cooler air yes, more power then regular short ram ??? depends on car , tune able, tubing , temps and supporting mods...

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #7 of 238 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taba View Post
From what ive gathered.... back in the "day" LMS had a long true CAI for the IS300

if i recall correctly team Lexus had it on their racecar as well

also AEM makes a extension piece for their setups to mate up to the AEM SRI for the IS....

My version incorporates some piping i had laying around from my 240SX, and a OBX-r IS300 intake (pretty much the longer kin to Joe-Z pipe, with a maf adapter already welded)

its pretty straight forward including cutting the fender well opening...ALL PIPING IS 3 INCH

I cut my hole with a dremel cutting bit, and further smoothed the edges with a sanding drum...

the only thing that i have noticed that sets this apart from the LMS design is that it sits lower and my bends are more smooth. I run an Apex-i cone filter so its shorter than most filters and it sits about 2 inches away from the opening next to the foglight

the homework has been done here on my IS to acheive the best power for NA intakes and i beleive the happy medium was somewhere between 5-6ft total length from the intake valve to the filter, mine measures in at about a lil over 6ft...

with just the SRI the car felt about normal just way loud, with the longer setup its hard to tell because i did this the same time i did my header, so my outcome is skewed, spunky yes, low end well i toss that to the long runners moving my power band around, noise? not nearly as loud but it does sound pretty mean near the bumper.....

Thanks for the write up!

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #8 of 238 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:02 PM

I'm in the OC, SoCal as well.....

SO i'm new to this modding world and I really wanted an intake so I just purchased the FPIK or whatever it is that's CARB/smog legal here in california. Is it not as good as the short rams or what? I'm still waiting for it to come but i really have no idea about anything. I don't think the police would even care right? only the smog checker and I always bring it to asian shops and i'm sure they wont care. Anyways... is the CA legal k&n intake any good?
post #9 of 238 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
KN is a short ram intake that come with carb sticker which makes the intake legal in CA . Your good to go all short ram intakes are pretty close to the same.

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #10 of 238 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Fiend

just letting people know.. im currently running the K&N FIPK2 intake and i love it, no complaints at all.. sounds great even with just an axle back but now i have a custom exhaust and love the sound

great choice
post #11 of 238 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Lurker

i have only tried one intake which is an injen and it is good enough for me (came on my other car) i cant feel a difference (but it sounds like it should when you get on the throttle) but it surely does let the car breath better... my buddy has a is300 with an srt intake (best one from what i understand) that car was in no comparison to mine but he also had headers so it had a little more get up and go... but any intake will let your car breath better but i would stick to name brand, look around pretty sure you can get a used one for cheap

03 Lex300 Onyx black
Injen, Tokico, Altezza, TRD, RMM front lip, SPC, OBX, 5zigen

2004 Blue is300 sportcross ***stock*** 56k+
post #12 of 238 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Fiend

I chose joez because

Price
Keep ram air
And I didn't want to suck in engine bay heat

I'd suggest a heat shield. Burn my hand touching the intake one day.

This could be due to a variety of reasons, but worth noting. I've noticed a 10-15 mile improvement per tank when the intake is pulled all the way forward. I've had it in the middle and all the way back. Around 315 all the way back and 332 all the way forward. Could be nothing though. This is over an eight tank test.

R.I.P.-2004 GGP IS300 5spd MT
ralco ss/twm shift knob/11 lb fw/Cenerforce DF/ 4.11's/O2 delete/cddd/ ss clutch\brake/Crank Scrapper/ Joez Intake
USS Kitty Hawk- GWOT-OEF-OSW-OIF
2011 Harley Davidson SL Sportster
post #13 of 238 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Best intake for a 2003 is300?

I just recently bought my is300. Its my first car so i have alot to learn! All the mods so far have been exterior (smoked lights, removed labels; painted "L" flat black & left "is300" and "lexus" off, carbon fiber antenna). I want to start putting money under the hood . Ive done some research on intakes and so far ive gathered that an SRT intake with race ECU is my best option. I'd like some opinions??
post #14 of 238 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
SRT is not your best option unless you like over paying ....research you choice more......
Id just get KN or JoeZ intakes ....or Do suspension FIRST

~Official~ IS300 INTAKE THREAD

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #15 of 238 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Fiend

If you buy an SRT don't expect to see it for months unless you buy it in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page