Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Knowledge is power ........
More good info...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah32mitchell View Post
Also, from what I've been reading, if I go through with this, I will lose low end tq...is that really the case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezik777 View Post

In fact you will not lose anything, the power band "shifts" up what feels lose at lower rpms is added higher in the rpm band ....

Heres a good thread for you to read thur and ask questions ....

~Official~ IS300 Header Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah32mitchell View Post
Awesome!! I was worried about that, but now I no longer am lol

That was VERY helpful, especially just with general knowledge. Thank you!!

But I still am not quite sure if I will need to get a test pipe or not...
Maybe I'm just retarded and can't find an exact answer for myself, or it's right in front of me and I just can't see it. Any advice for me?

Also, how do you feel about changing out the y-pipe from stock? Or do you think I should just keep the stock, since I've seen that a lot of people do that

Thanks!!!
Quote:
No problem thats why we are here...

Ive had many HKS axle backs cant go wrong with any of them...

As far as using aftermarket header with or with out stock y pipe is up to you . if you try stock y pipe first it will be prone to leaks tipically. In time its natural for the stock cat in y pipe to blow out due to increase in flow ...get a good seal and every once in a while re check flange bolts and re torque bolts to keep them tight...

Using aftermarket header with aftermarket y pipe not only will flange up better (made for each other) but will also have better flow (matching pipe diameter) and less leaks when installed properly. Will also increase exhaust note (level of sound) and depending on what you runner after y-pipe will change the exhaust loudness and amount of rasp ..To eaches own..

If running an axle back type exhaust Id recommend to keep stock B pipe to help keep rasp down and good exhaust note (sound) ...Its also proven that stock b pipe vs aftermarket or straight pipe (no resonator) will not add HP only changes exhaust tone with exhaust tubing up to 2.5 in..

Good rule of thumb, Intake ,Header ,Exhaust only to light Mods around 2.5 inch pipe diameter is ideal.
Bigger exhaust tubing 2.75-3 in is great and ideal for heavy NA mods and forced induction.
Anything 3in and bigger is great for mild to crazy forced induction set ups.

Support The Troops - OIF Veteran - SSG of Soldiers - AND PROUD OF IT

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
AlphaWerks Headers (one of my old sets) done up the right way flawless !!!!
current owner Josh "Sway162"
~For veiwing pleasure only~

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___

Last edited by Bezik777; 05-06-2011 at 12:49 PM.
post #18 of 237 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
More info Header Wrap NA and forced induction

Quote:
OK here we go Header wrap lots of myths and facts collected off the internet
Header wrap is unquestionably more effective as a thermal insulator. There is no comparison. Get out an infrared thermometer and compare for your self. You can literally touch a wrapped header and not burn your hand to certain extent. If installed properly (nice and tight with 1/2 to 1/4 wrap over lay) and sealed with header wrap sealant

The claimed downside to header wrap is that it somehow traps moisture and accelerates deterioration of the header. This I have trouble believing. I have wrapped headers before and they outlasted the car. It is important however to paint and properly cure the paint on the header to provide some rust protection. If you do drive in rain and or snow I recommend only wrap headers 3/4 of the way down.

The other claimed downside is that the wrap is so effective at trapping heat you effectively heat treat/fatigue the metal the header is made of. The claimed result is embrittlement of the metal. These claims however have been made for a turbocharged 6 cylinder which produces significantly more heat than a naturally aspirated engine.
Take this as you will...

Ive also done the pre coating and then wrap then sealant and that out come was awesome for performance and looks . Take a look at sway162 headers he has a set of my old headers ...Not only will this protect headers, keep heat in and not in engine bay but will also help exhaust flow and exhaust note- outside and inside the car...

Also wrap is better than ceramic coating because it does not allow the exhaust gases to cool for better scavenging. Ceramic coatings also Do Not reduce as much heat in the engine compartment as header wrap does which offers a lower intake temperature, better atomization and more power, period. Most good header wraps like D.E.I or similair products (yes some of the ebay wraps are just as good and cheaper) fiberglass should offer a tight weave, minimal fraying, more heat retention and is able withstand a constant 1200 operating temperature. Always use a good header wrap strap to keep wrap nice and tight from loosing up....
"For all the internet nazi's out there is collected information as stated"

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___

Last edited by Bezik777; 05-17-2011 at 06:23 AM.

post #19 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so i'm finally going to get rid of my mazzuri v1 header and was looking around for options. I called SRT yesterday and Mo confirmed that he will NOT be making the header as he did not get 10 people and the company he was going to use to duplicate his design changed pricing on him and couldn't do it in a descent time frame. I came across a header on suprastore.com. Engine // Air Intake/ IS300 Turbo Kits - Lexus IS 300 Header 2JZGE Yesterday it said out of stock and they were awaiting delivery so I emailed them and got a response this morning from the owner Mike that they were now in stock. I ordered it so when it comes in i'll take some pics and see how quickly I can put it on. Info from website:

"We are now shipping the single most powerful header combo package produced for the 2001-2005 Lexus IS300 with the 2JZGE engine.

16HP and 12 ft.lbs of torque is the largest single exhaust increase you can create with the IS300 inline six motor to date.

Manufactured from SUS-304 enhanced stainless steel, these are a true bolt-on design. These are machine mandrel bent, which means, no creases, no crumples, no odd flow patterns. A combination of both MIG and TIG welding ensures absolute integrity of each and every weld joint. Uses all factory O2 sensors!!

5 year manufacturers warranty on defects, CNC machined stainless flanges. Gaskets and hardware included."

OB 05 IS300 5spd MT w/navi | Joe-Z | Mazzuri | Apexi WS2 | Unorthodox cam and pulleys | Tein CS

Last edited by m3thod; 06-08-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added pic
post #20 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Follower

^^ Whoa. We might have something here guys, hoping that it isn't just some knockoff ebay stuff again.
post #21 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

The fact that is says "5 year manufacturers warranty on defects" and its a "new" product seems promising. Hopefully it comes in pretty quick.

OB 05 IS300 5spd MT w/navi | Joe-Z | Mazzuri | Apexi WS2 | Unorthodox cam and pulleys | Tein CS
post #22 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Boosted Troll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
ROCK ON!!! full detailed review please!!

02 MSM W55 LSD FULLY BUILT NA-T
Carrillo Pro/Manley H Beam/ARP/ACL/PT6262-CEA/TT Gasket/BC 264's/BC Springs & Valves/Ferrea Seals/ETS IC/Tial WG and BOV/ PC'd all black/V-band 3" with Carbon Ti / :)

04 CRP EJ25 FXT not faster than ^^^^... yet

Supporting Vendors that support the community is just common sense

post #23 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
Looks like xerd headers would be great if quality is great ......

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #24 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If they are the same ones MVP sells, supposed to be Xerd design but with better QC.

Team Image Dynamics/Zapco/Second Skin/Werewolf
IASCA/MECA SQ judge and competitor
post #25 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Follower

Let us know how it goes, m3thod.
post #26 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 PM
dms
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thod View Post
I called SRT yesterday and Mo confirmed that he will NOT be making the header as he did not get 10 people and the company he was going to use to duplicate his design changed pricing on him and couldn't do it in a descent time frame.
Interesting. I wonder when he was going to tell the people that already payed. I guess I'll have to make some phone calls tomorrow (SRT, BBB, etc...).
post #27 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Interesting. I wonder when he was going to tell the people that already payed. I guess I'll have to make some phone calls tomorrow (SRT, BBB, etc...).
<------@ SRT I would never buy anything from them....Id be making alot of phone calls also....

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #28 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

uh huh!

Team Image Dynamics/Zapco/Second Skin/Werewolf
IASCA/MECA SQ judge and competitor
post #29 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
To be clear... he did ask if I paid yet. I was on the list but never got to chance to pay (due to not being able to get through a few times then giving up for awhile). I assume he will just refund those who paid. The point of me saying SRT isn't making the header was emphasis that there really isn't a great option out there so this header, which does seem to be the one MVP sells for the supra non-turbo, may be a great option.

post #30 of 237 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:48 PM
dms
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thod View Post
To be clear... he did ask if I paid yet. I was on the list but never got to chance to pay (due to not being able to get through a few times then giving up for awhile). I assume he will just refund those who paid. The point of me saying SRT isn't making the header was emphasis that there really isn't a great option out there so this header, which does seem to be the one MVP sells for the supra non-turbo, may be a great option.
I appreciate the heads up. I called and he said he was going to refund the money.

Definitely keep us posted on how those headers turn out. I've got Megans and they are crap. So bad that I was thinking about trying to find someone local to make me some custom ones. It would be great if there were an acceptable off the shelf solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page