N/A Supra Flywheel/Clutch Swap w/ part numbers and pics - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 267 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Dr. JDM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji View Post
Does anybody have experience with the JUN chromolly flywheel? (12.11 lbs. or 5.5 kg.)

I know some other users have reported chatter with a light flywheel but was that with an OEM NA Supra clutch?

At some point I would want to do the NA Supra clutch conversion and get rid of the heavy ass IS300 flywheel. I am thinking about using the JUN flywheel, OEM NA Supra clutch, and all other associated OEM parts necessary for the conversion.

My thinking is that with an OEM clutch, chatter would be minimized/eliminated and the lighter flywheel will help to wake up the drivetrain.

Anybody have experience with this setup?

-kenji
i had the JUN flywheel with ACT clutch and i got some chatter when lugging the engine or when the AC was on in neutral. but it felt great, it starts up with a distinctly different sound. then i switched to the NA Supra flywheel with ACT clutch and there is much less chatter although there is a little bit when lugging the engine at low rpms. i hear some people just get the entire NA Supra setup and have no problems but not sure if they have any chatter

2003 GGP 5MT Fully Loaded - SOLD
2013 Porsche 911 Carerra
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Launch Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 267 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

***UPDATE*** I had to end up using an 82mm slave cylinder push rod vs the 81mm Supra Turbo pushrod. The release fork needed a tiny bit more pressure to keep the throw out bearing from giving the occasional cricket chirp. I had to make this myself. I used a 5/16" bolt, cut it, rounded and smoothed it, installed it, all is well. Good thing is, it takes only a few minutes to replace this, and cost me 50 cents.

Solar Yellow E-Shift (Sold to Balig)
Absolutely Red 5 Speed/LSD (Sold to some skinny dude)
post #33 of 267 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by what it IS View Post
***UPDATE*** I had to end up using an 82mm slave cylinder push rod vs the 81mm Supra Turbo pushrod. The release fork needed a tiny bit more pressure to keep the throw out bearing from giving the occasional cricket chirp. I had to make this myself. I used a 5/16" bolt, cut it, rounded and smoothed it, installed it, all is well. Good thing is, it takes only a few minutes to replace this, and cost me 50 cents.

Oh man good thing I haven't installed it yet. Where can I find a 82mm pushrod without custom making one?

2002 Absolutey Red 5 speed IS300 w/LSD
For Go: RPS street pro clutch kit, CDD+TDD mods, Greddy EVO2 exhaust, SRT intake w/R-ECU, Titan CamGear, MeganRacing y-pipe
For Show: UGO roof spoiler, Eibach Pro Kit, Altezza Grille, JDM rubber antenna, SportDesign Headlights/Tailights, DRL mod, 25% tints

post #34 of 267 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdsLex
Oh man good thing I haven't installed it yet. Where can I find a 82mm pushrod without custom making one?
beat me to it...same question i was just gonna ask.

2005 MSM Lexus IS300

Stock?
post #35 of 267 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Really, it cost me 50 cents and took a few minutes with a dremel. I have no idea where you can buy one. Other thing you could do is put a small shim at the end of the Supra rod. I've heard of someone here doing that.

post #36 of 267 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 AM
Aficionado

So i've had this setup for about 1500 miles now. And it drives quite nice, the revs are a lot faster with the NA supra flywheel. Also the clutch engages a lot earlier as far as the clutch pedal travel goes. The only thing i forgot to do when installing it was grease up the pegs on the throwout bearing. So now i get a whirling chirping noise when i'm at idle and off the clutch pedal.

Injen CAI| Ralco | TEIN | TRD | Magnaflow | Hotchkis | BBS RS 17"x 8&9 | Bridgestone Potenza RE760

2002 IS300 IBP 5spd Manual w/ OEM Supra NA Clutch Kit+Flywheel
post #37 of 267 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdsLex View Post
Has anyone found the 82MM push rod this procedure requires....?
post #38 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Aficionado

What's a fair price on labor for this work? I just don't have enough space in my garage.

2002 MSM 5MT LSD IS300
| SRT | Megan Racing | SP Performance | Karl-Sport | Stance | Tanabe |
post #39 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Hey everyone, turns out if you put the N/A Supra pushrod in with the notch closest to the slave cyl it is the right length... No need to fabricate one.

post #40 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLo_is300 View Post
So i've had this setup for about 1500 miles now. And it drives quite nice, the revs are a lot faster with the NA supra flywheel. Also the clutch engages a lot earlier as far as the clutch pedal travel goes. The only thing i forgot to do when installing it was grease up the pegs on the throwout bearing. So now i get a whirling chirping noise when i'm at idle and off the clutch pedal.
I doubt any amount of grease applied anywhere would cure the infamous chirping noise at idle (at least not permanently) This is an ongoing issue for alot of us that no one can seem to come up with a viable solution. (Not even Lexus Technicians)

For Go: RPS street pro clutch kit, CDD+TDD mods, Greddy EVO2 exhaust, SRT intake w/R-ECU, Titan CamGear, MeganRacing y-pipe
For Show: UGO roof spoiler, Eibach Pro Kit, Altezza Grille, JDM rubber antenna, SportDesign Headlights/Tailights, DRL mod, 25% tints
post #41 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreal07 View Post
What's a fair price on labor for this work? I just don't have enough space in my garage.
I recieved 3 different quotes from three different shops for this installation, and they ranged from 800-1000. (Estimates) Seems like alot, but they do have to take the transmission out of the car on this job, and thats many hours of labor

post #42 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 AM
CEB
Addict

Quote:
I recieved 3 different quotes from three different shops for this installation, and they ranged from 800-1000. (Estimates) Seems like alot, but they do have to take the transmission out of the car on this job, and thats many hours of labor

That's a lot. Probably an additional 200-300 extra just because it's a Lex.

When the time comes it will definitely be worth my while to spend a day to DIY this.

-2002 GGP 5 Speed - 3.91:1 LSD -2004 OEM CD Changer!-
-BC 264 Stage 2 - Titan Cam Gear@ -3.5*-
-FIGS 323mm Supra TT Rotors-
To be installed...SAFC2----All Mods & Maintenance Done by Yours Truly
post #43 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
I doubt any amount of grease applied anywhere would cure the infamous chirping noise at idle (at least not permanently) This is an ongoing issue for alot of us that no one can seem to come up with a viable solution. (Not even Lexus Technicians)
Hmm...what could it be

I also notice now when i wind out 2nd gear on spirited drives there's a lot of noise and vibration on the shifter.

Oh yeah, now with the lightened OEM supra fly i'm having a hard time getting decent mpgs. Darn thing is too fun to drive now. If im lucky i'll get 280 before i have to fill up.

Injen CAI| Ralco | TEIN | TRD | Magnaflow | Hotchkis | BBS RS 17"x 8&9 | Bridgestone Potenza RE760

post #44 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
That's a lot. Probably an additional 200-300 extra just because it's a Lex.

When the time comes it will definitely be worth my while to spend a day to DIY this.
It's an experience to tell ya that. A big PITA was removing the stock header. I found these 4 tools to be the biggest help if you're working in your driveway on your back. Breaker bar your standard 2 footer, long 1/2" extension 3ft+, motorcycle jack to cradle, raise, lower the tranny and an electric impact gun to get some stubborn nuts/bolts off. Also couldn't hurt to have 1 extra set of helping hands.

post #45 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLo_is300 View Post
Hmm...what could it be

I also notice now when i wind out 2nd gear on spirited drives there's a lot of noise and vibration on the shifter.

Oh yeah, now with the lightened OEM supra fly i'm having a hard time getting decent mpgs. Darn thing is too fun to drive now. If im lucky i'll get 280 before i have to fill up.
Vibration in 2nd gear? That's the first time I've heard about that. What else did you change when you did the swap, and what are your current mods? Do you still have the stock shifter?

As for your MPG, that's unfortunate to hear, as the guy who created this thread said he saw a significant improvement in gas mileage and I was hoping it would do the same for me!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page