N/A Supra Flywheel/Clutch Swap w/ part numbers and pics - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Feels just as smooth and happy to rev as my old RX-7s.

Solar Yellow E-Shift (Sold to Balig)
Absolutely Red 5 Speed/LSD (Sold to some skinny dude)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Why did you change your main seals? Precaution?

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD
post #18 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Yes, just precaution. It wasn't leaking but thought I'd play it safe since it has 115k on the odo.

post #19 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)

What dealership did you buy your parts from?

My local dealership is about 3-4 times the price...
post #20 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Fiend

A stupid question... when you shut her down how fast does the engine come to a stop? Can you get a A/V? I know it lame... I like the immediate shut down from the turn of the key of my RX7 with 12lb flywheel, 7 or so pounds lighter versus your 14lb difference...I am thinking of doing this or getting an aftermarket flywheel. Pricing is "close" to the same but maybe done right with a few extra pounds over the aftermarket but no hassles.

Driveabilty... I know its not the stock flywheel.... damn the IS still gives me troubles... its the only manual trans car of the 3 I drive I cannot engage smoothly... maybe its the dampener in the clutch line... its either clunk (maybe from the KDWs) or major clutch slip... I cannot get the feeling unless I drive the IS exclusively. My other cars I have no problem... maybe need to hit up Figs or the local part store.
post #21 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Whatthe: I got half the parts (flywheel, disk) from Carson Toyota, and the others from my local dealer, Tony Divino Toyota.

Keilux: A/V? I know you're not talking audio/video, but I'm not sure what you're referring to. It shuts down almost instantly. As far as driveability, it is 10000X better, easier, smoother, than stock (especially when your flywheel springs are worn). Shifting is much more seamless because I'm not forcing the engine to spin the heavy flywheel different speeds quickly. The CDD removal made almost no difference in regular driving, but during "spirited" driving the clutch pedal was noticeably more responsive/quicker to release. I got the $2 10mm to 10mm brake line union from NAPA and it has worked fine for going on three years.

Not to mention somehow I am getting measurably better gas mileage... I've averaged 25 MPG since the swap and I used to get 22. That's over 1500 miles too, so it wasn't just one lucky tank full.

Last edited by what it IS; 06-22-2010 at 03:48 PM.
post #22 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Aficionado

Awesome thread! Exact info i was looking for my clutch and flywheel replacement. I just ordered the supra flywheel, flywheel bolts, rear main seal and slave cylinder push rod from Carson Toyota. Gonna pick up the parts on Thursday. As for the clutch im gonna go with either the ACT HD Street Clutch Stage 1 or Clutch Masters FX100 Stage 1. Bill came out to:

Flywheel - $269.51
Flywheel bolts - $5.95 x 8 = $47.60
Rear Main Seal - $34.18
Push Rod - $6.31

Total + tax = $392.47

Injen CAI| Ralco | TEIN | TRD | Magnaflow | Hotchkis | BBS RS 17"x 8&9 | Bridgestone Potenza RE760

2002 IS300 IBP 5spd Manual w/ OEM Supra NA Clutch Kit+Flywheel
post #23 of 267 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:47 PM
truth versions only

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLo_is300 View Post
Awesome thread! Exact info i was looking for my clutch and flywheel replacement. I just ordered the supra flywheel, flywheel bolts, rear main seal and slave cylinder push rod from Carson Toyota. Gonna pick up the parts on Thursday. As for the clutch im gonna go with either the ACT HD Street Clutch Stage 1 or Clutch Masters FX100 Stage 1. Bill came out to:

Flywheel - $269.51
Rear Main Seal - $34.18
Push Rod - $6.31

Total + tax = $392.47
I can almost put money on the stock oem Supra clutch disk and diaphragm will be a lot more durable than the ACT or Clutchmasters
post #24 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kponti View Post
I can almost put money on the stock oem Supra clutch disk and diaphragm will be a lot more durable than the ACT or Clutchmasters
True...can't go wrong with OEM. My stock IS300 clutch lasted 140k+ I think imma put in the order for the stock Supra clutch and pressure plate as well. Thanks! This clears up my frustration on which clutch kit to purchase!

Injen CAI| Ralco | TEIN | TRD | Magnaflow | Hotchkis | BBS RS 17"x 8&9 | Bridgestone Potenza RE760

2002 IS300 IBP 5spd Manual w/ OEM Supra NA Clutch Kit+Flywheel
post #25 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Frequenter

So upon stumbling onto this thread if I am correctly reading it, all I really need is a clutch kit for a 93-98 NA supra correct?

I already have a fidanza flywheel from my previous set up so if someone can confirm that I can buy an OEM "clutch kit" I'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking into an EXEDY kit 16085. Other than possible misc. bolts the kit "should" bolt up to the fidanza flywheel correct?

Thanks
post #26 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Frequenter

Sorry for a noob question, but if i wanted this setup except i want to use a lightened flywheel, do i go with one for an IS300 or N/A Supra?

04 MSM 5spd no LSD :(

JDM Altezza Antenna|JDM Altezza blue tinted side mirrors|JDM Altezza Window Visors|JDM Altezza Sport Grille|JDM Altezza Centre Caps|JDM Altezza "Non-Smoker" Box|JDM Altezza "Limited" Emblems|NGK Laser Iridium IFR6T11|NGK Plug Wires|HKS Hybrid|Joe-Z|HKS HIPERMAXX III|POWERSLOT|GOODRIDGE|HAWKHPS|ATEBLUE|OBX|A'PEXiWS2|TRDRACEsways|
post #27 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Follower

I wouldn't recommend a lighter flywheel than the OEM Supra non-turbo unit mentioned here. Both Is300's I drove with super light aftermarket flywheels (If I remember correctly 12-13 lb fidanza and another brand I cant remember) had chatter and hard to drive smoothly. I am planning to get the setup reviewed in this post as it sounds just right.

2002 Absolutey Red 5 speed IS300 w/LSD
For Go: RPS street pro clutch kit, CDD+TDD mods, Greddy EVO2 exhaust, SRT intake w/R-ECU, Titan CamGear, MeganRacing y-pipe
For Show: UGO roof spoiler, Eibach Pro Kit, Altezza Grille, JDM rubber antenna, SportDesign Headlights/Tailights, DRL mod, 25% tints
post #28 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdsLex View Post
I wouldn't recommend a lighter flywheel than the OEM Supra non-turbo unit mentioned here. Both Is300's I drove with super light aftermarket flywheels (If I remember correctly 12-13 lb fidanza and another brand I cant remember) had chatter and hard to drive smoothly. I am planning to get the setup reviewed in this post as it sounds just right.
Thanks for the input, guess i'll stick with this set up then.

time to hunt down parts!

JDM Altezza Antenna|JDM Altezza blue tinted side mirrors|JDM Altezza Window Visors|JDM Altezza Sport Grille|JDM Altezza Centre Caps|JDM Altezza "Non-Smoker" Box|JDM Altezza "Limited" Emblems|NGK Laser Iridium IFR6T11|NGK Plug Wires|HKS Hybrid|Joe-Z|HKS HIPERMAXX III|POWERSLOT|GOODRIDGE|HAWKHPS|ATEBLUE|OBX|A'PEXiWS2|TRDRACEsways|
post #29 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLo_is300 View Post

Flywheel - $269.51
Rear Main Seal - $34.18
Push Rod - $6.31

Total + tax = $392.47
i guess if i wanted to use a exedy or sachs clutch kit, i would still need the items you listed?

everything should match up ok and bolt right on?

thanks!

post #30 of 267 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 AM

Does anybody have experience with the JUN chromolly flywheel? (12.11 lbs. or 5.5 kg.)

I know some other users have reported chatter with a light flywheel but was that with an OEM NA Supra clutch?

At some point I would want to do the NA Supra clutch conversion and get rid of the heavy ass IS300 flywheel. I am thinking about using the JUN flywheel, OEM NA Supra clutch, and all other associated OEM parts necessary for the conversion.

My thinking is that with an OEM clutch, chatter would be minimized/eliminated and the lighter flywheel will help to wake up the drivetrain.

Anybody have experience with this setup?

-kenji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page