Megan Headers, Megan Y Pipe, Stock Catback, Joe-Z Intake Tube, K&N Drop In - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ninjabutt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Megan Headers, Megan Y Pipe, Stock Catback, Joe-Z Intake Tube, K&N Drop In

Whatsup dudes, just wanted to throw a review in the archives to maybe help someone later. I installed the Megan y pipe 3 years ago to replace busted and rusted stock Y from PO. Earlier this month I drove from Florida to Colorado in one sitting and back in almost one sitting and during the trip the manifold cats finally clogged enough that I needed to do something (diagnosed with IR temp gun precat 360 degrees and post cat 150 degrees) and as much as I'd like to get a set of Figs or Dezod it would ultimately be a waste since I'm not planning on staying NA 2jz and I found a set of Megan headers locally for $40... and my ae86 needs coilovers and a BEAM's swap... and I'm cash poor.

Anyway, removal went as expected, a few expletives getting the third cat's heat shield off (a must if you plan on removing through the top, I only removed the intake tube, nothing else and they came out "fine").

Install started off as a PITFA because the bolt holes on the Megan were too close together and wouldn't line up so I used a step drill to widen the holes and after some harsh words the headers accepted their fate. I reused both oem header gaskets and the flange gasket (which was pretty worn out but I couldn't source one local so I'll expect a blown flange gasket while I wait on one in the mail), I used some red rtv on the flange gasket to hopefully keep it together longer.

Y-Pipe on stock manifold and stock cat back sounded a little deeper and throatier, but not much. The Joe-Z could be heard over the exhaust until after 4500 or so.

Full set with stock catback sounds close to stock at idle and up to 3500 but comes alive at WOT, especially after 4500. Seat of the pants feels much faster but anything would have been faster than clogged cats. In cabin sound is louder on WOT but almost unnoticeable on regular throttle. Joe-Z is loud at lower RPM and the exhaust takes over the higher RPM range.

I had heard that I would lose power in the low end with the megan due to copycat r&d and scavenging but it's feeling much better than it was. Overall I'm happy with it, quiet regular driving and spirited on WOT, just what I wanted.

I hope this is helpful, this site has saved me many times and I hope I can eventually pay the community back.
Troongs1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Garage
Yup I feel your pain in that Megan header install. Except in my case the bolt holes werent lined up AND wouldn't sit flush with all the banging in the world. One of the worst installations in my life lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

~=>SRT = RMM = ChargeSpeed = UGO = IForged = Compustar = PLP = FIGS <=~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page