Just Did the N/A Supra/Lexus SC300 Clutch Swap - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just Did the N/A Supra/Lexus SC300 Clutch Swap

First a thundering shout out to the OP "what is IS" for starting the N/A Supra Clutch Swap thread, and all the members that contributed to it. Very educational and made this easy-peazy! Thanks so much guys.

N/A Supra Flywheel/Clutch Swap w/ part numbers and pics

So you can get all the info (most) from this post.^

Some of what I have to say has been touched on, but bears reminding, and/or help.

First, the parts may not show up as Toyota parts, if not, tell your parts person to look under Lexus SC300 parts. Pretty sure the numbers are all the same. Get the darn dowel pins, do not re-use them. They are stupid cheap, and are a pain to get out. The SC300 slave cylinder push road is 82mm, and has 1 notch. The flywheel is now running ~400.

Soooooo,......heres what I got. First off, my pre-existing mods -

2005 5-speed Black Onyx IS300

- K&N FIPK w/heat shield
- opened up ram air inlet a bit
- radiator plate
- CDD mod
- throttle pedal mod
- HKS Dragger II exhaust
- Titan MotorSports adjustable cam gear (-4 degrees)
- rear LSD auto carrier with 3.93 gears (manual has 3.72) - got this idea from you guys as well

Results.....

First outstanding results. Sometimes I wish I had 235/40R17s in back, but lack the fundage for new wheels and rolling the rear fender lip. It does put down a noticeable amount of more power. Where the back tires stuck pretty darn good before, its a bit easier to break em loose. The pedal is a little lighter, and not squishy like before. The engagement is nearly the same in the pedal as before.

I did not go with a AL lightened flywheel because of the complaints of the increase in rev matching, and the reduction in driveability. Initially, I had to get used to a tiny bit of increased rev at take off (still dump it once and a great while - oh the shame ) The increase in acceleration is definitely noticeable. I havent checked gas mileage yet, but the way I drive, probably dont matter. I actually didnt need the flywheel, but convinced the other half I did.

The car is quicker/faster - depending on your definition. Im sure the 3.93 gears aint hurtin it.
Theres an interchange by my house that is tear drop shape. Prior to the mod, no matter how I tried (for years), I could not get past 80mph by the beginning of the overpass - after that, gotta hit the brakes so theres no surprises on the other sides interchange. On the first try, doing every thing like I always have, I hit 90mph at the overpass - it does heal toe better too.

There is no vibration, chatter, etc. Its very smooth, and does go into first gear easier when slowing down. Due to the rpms dropping easier, on the fwy, sometimes ya gotta down shift and punch it, but it really moves. It does have a bit more growl. BMW 328s are no longer at my rear tire, and Im at the door of a 330. Man I love ticking off someone who is snobby, drives a more expensive car, that is less reliable, and I can give competition.

So I think thats about it. A exhaust manifold heatshield may be coming, but in the bay, there aint anything left to do. Cams and stroking are a bit $$$$. FI and headers in CA are out of the equation. Im happy with the overall results, and thats all that matters.

Last edited by CanIHasFI; 01-30-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page