LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner22 View Post
I wish I was more inclined With the aem units and the greedy unit...
Maybe if you weren't a stoner you would be more motivated.

2004 IS300 5 spd. Factory LSD. Joz Z intake. BC Stage 2 cams, BC cam gear -3.5 deg. Eibach Pro-kit, Enkei NT03+m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
I am a noob to any sort of ECU tuning. Do you lose any OEM functions using the E-manage? I've looked around an seen on Dezods page about how the AEM EMS standalone allows you to keep power windows, locks, moonroof, etc. I don't understand why any of those essential function would be related to engine management. I'm curious how the E-manage effects the IS300, aside from tuning.
You're correct. It has to do only with the engine and nothing else.

2010 IS350 Obsidian Black/Black interior

2003 IS300 5-spd SportDesign Black Onyx w/LSD | 4.1:1 Final Drive | Borla Exhaust | Megan Racepipe | HKS Cam Gear | JIC FLTA1 Coilovers | L-tuned Sways | Fidanza flywheel | PowerSlot Rotors | Goodridge SS Brakelines | PIAA 6600K | CDD delete | Teck kit | Gone: EMU, SRT intake, B&M shifter, TRD Grill
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Follower

Nice thread. I have been running EMU for over a year now and promised a how to thread.... Sorry got busy. I would like to add you can use the SUB injector for boost control. It took me awhile but I finally got it to work.
have to make sure you select ch-1 and sub injector in the car settings.
Emanage + GM Boost Solenoid = EBC for $10.32 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

Crazy Horse 1

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

There is also a really good Subi write-up on boost control. Its pretty cool it works, as proper solenoid control calls for a fixed frequency, modulation via PWM- this is why using this method is audibly noisier than EMS and EBC controls with calibrated frequency settings. Can't beat free though haha.

Another cool feature of the EMU I hadn't thought of but read about later was using Inj map 1 and Inj map 2 at the same time via dip switch and front panel selection, then scale the maps so 1 tunes for vacuum and moderate boost, the other from there to high boost, for example full vacuum to 4psi, and 5psi to 20psi, giving you much more granularity in the tune. At the current granularity level of using just one map for a high boost setup (or low boost but you do not scale the map), you can find yourself in the same load cell in partial throttle and WOT (but same RPM and boost level thus the same load cell), and so the partial throttle can have a good air fuel, but at WOT it is leaner. At moderate boost you can scale the map to give you more granularity. I can't really explain what at the same RPM and boost the flow is different, but with variables like VVTi, having a MAF clamp, piggbacking a speed density method to a mass air flow method etc, it shouldn't be surprising.

At moderate boost you can use the above method and have overkill granularity haha.

TokenSolutions is moving to an in-house forum and facebook. Google TokenSolutions forumer.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
Maybe if you weren't a stoner you would be more motivated.
lmfaooo

This is pretty good stuff, how much does this unit go for?

LuxuryEntryLevelIntelligentCompactSportsSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCKER52 View Post
Although I saw the automatic gearbox, you should definitely be putting those paddle shifters to use. As long as you're strictly driving around and shifting with the paddle shifters you can tell everyone it's a manual, it'll increase the value of the car too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
My head wants to explode when people say things like, "Dude I just got these coils and set them on full stiff. My kidneys are bleeding and I chipped a few teeth. These things rock!!!"
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Follower

You can pick up the EMU for pretty cheap nowadays. I got mine with pnp for 400. Most IS users don't want to deal with it. I think the biggest negitive with the EMU is that you cant tune to load. That is where the EMU and stock ECU really butt heads. The stock ECU in closed loop is using load calculations with other things like o2 ect... So with the EMU using RPM and PSI on the I/J map sometimes at the same RPM and PSI you can be a different load levels and it throws the trims off a bit. The ECU is smart enough to figure it out but it can be annoying if you are a perfectionist.

Crazy Horse 1
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Follower

What if you tried using both inj maps to increase your scaling on both RPM AND PSI? Like inj 1 would do the vacuum up to low boost for idle to 3600 RPM (using all 16 RPM interval cells) while inj 2 does the rest from 3600 to redline? I might have to test it.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Frequenter

What kind of gains are available going from a stock ECU NA engine with cams, intake, headers to the eManage. It sounds like a good safe way to get into tuning but I'm curious what kind of power is available and whether it's worth it.

2004 IS300 5 spd. Factory LSD. Joz Z intake. BC Stage 2 cams, BC cam gear -3.5 deg. Eibach Pro-kit, Enkei NT03+m
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Follower

Car runs pretty rich WOT from the factory. You could lean it out some and maybe gain some power. Two step and NLTS, increase the rev limit....

Crazy Horse 1
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:18 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmerguy View Post
Car runs pretty rich WOT from the factory. You could lean it out some and maybe gain some power. Two step and NLTS, increase the rev limit....
What is two step and NLTS?

It seems like it's not worth it if there is not substantial power available.

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Follower

In all honesty not to many NA mods gain substantial power on this platform. Lots opwople have thrown 10's of thousands of dollars to stay na and still be under 300whp.

Crazy Horse 1
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Follower

Wanted to add this to the EMU thread. Not only do you get boost control but you can use a relay to setup a dual stage boost control setup with the power or trac off button. Its pretty simple. No need for diodes but it doesn't hurt if you use them. Here is the thread in another section.
Relay for boost controller

Crazy Horse 1
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Follower

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Just picked up the emu and boomslang PNP harness from a local, but I Didn't realize it came off of an 01 is300 and my car is an 02 :/ so correct me if I'm wrong but the boomslang PNP will not work with an 02 if it was originally purchased for an 01 right?

02 E-Shift GTE INTERNALS l BC264 l PTE6262 l AEM V2 l FIGS RB BBK l FORTUNE AUTO
461whp/404lb-tq Built and Tuned by JMS Racing
IG: j_is3k
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Follower

I think the plugs are the same shape but the pining is different. Shouldnt be too hard to cut and splice the boomslang and make it work. That will keep your stock wiring intact.

Crazy Horse 1
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Follower

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmerguy View Post
I think the plugs are the same shape but the pining is different. Shouldnt be too hard to cut and splice the boomslang and make it work. That will keep your stock wiring intact.

Thanks for the insight, yeah I'd rather not pay the extra money for a new one if I can modify this one to work

02 E-Shift GTE INTERNALS l BC264 l PTE6262 l AEM V2 l FIGS RB BBK l FORTUNE AUTO
461whp/404lb-tq Built and Tuned by JMS Racing
IG: j_is3k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page