EFI Relay, ignition clicking/dead battery solution!!! - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

EFI Relay, ignition clicking/dead battery solution!!!

*******************EFI RELAY!!! Can a mod please change the title for search purposes

*** I have no idea what thread this is supposed to be in. I picked Go fast stuff bc I figured more people would see it

I've been searching that some of you guys have been having this problem, where you hear a strange clicking from your fuse box when your car is off thus killing the battery.

For those of you who don't know what relay i'm talking about

For me at least, pulling this fuse did nothing, because when I pulled it, I still heard clicking. No point spend $100 to replace a functional part.

What you most likely need, is the ignition cylinder harness (the name will vary Sewell lexus calls it Ignition starter switch assembly)

you can order it right from Sewell here

part # 8445012200

It looks like this,

The guys at Sewell (as always) were super helpful with ordering me this part.

The Problem
My buddies at Tf Works showed me what was most likely making a switch go crazy when the key was out of the ignition

Taken apart, If you see at 11 o clock (imagine the circle as a clock), that stupid piece of exposed copper on the wall. This is the culprit.

Now as far as getting to the part, yes it is behind the key, yes it seems like you have to take the dash apart or take off the steering wheel column. Which is what everyone has been saying.

TF said looking around after taking apart the dash, they realized that they they could have gotten to this part under the dash (around where your right knee would be) without taking it apart. LOL

To fix this annoying problem which some people have said they paid 3 4 or 500, I spent under 200 with labor, parts and shipping.

Any further questions, don't pm, just post so everyone can benefit

.:[Touge Factory][Stance USA]:.

Last edited by jruhi4; 04-18-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Corrected title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Nice post. From the short time I have been on this forum and heard of EFI relay clicking issues, 95% time it was one of the two switches you have mentioned. Great work and that's awesome you found an easier workaround. +Reps to you for the great feedback which I'm sure I can help reference it to others who come across with this issue in the future

PS..I have reported this to moderators of this particular forum, as I cannot moderate your thread title.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

Last edited by jasonm4; 04-16-2011 at 03:13 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Thanks, I proofread the whole thing and then realized the title was wrong after submit -_-

thanks for the rep I searched and searched for the problem to this fix and couldn't find anything that helpful on the interwebs, so i figured I would post bc this seems to be recurring problem for our now old cars

.:[Touge Factory][Stance USA]:.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Frequenter

I had this same problem but didnt know what the issue actually was, the cars been in and out of the shop over and over trying to figure out whats up. Its actually happening RIGHT NOW downstairs in teh garage. Its a toss up between the relay clicking over and over, or the car thinking the key is still in, and wont let me lock the doors.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFennec View Post
I had this same problem but didnt know what the issue actually was, the cars been in and out of the shop over and over trying to figure out whats up. Its actually happening RIGHT NOW downstairs in teh garage. Its a toss up between the relay clicking over and over, or the car thinking the key is still in, and wont let me lock the doors.
Yea, this seems to be a common problem, especially with '01's. Try unplugging the EFI relay to see id it does, if so, then plug it back in but unplug the ignition cylinder switch to make sure it is that micro switch. Best way to make sure I can think of.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Lurker

How hard is it to swap out?
Recently started having this problem and I'd like to take care of it asap! lol
Also the link you posted doesn't show anything...I looked up the 2002 version and they have it, would that work or is the solution that you have to switch to the 2001 version?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Greetings all ...

I had the same problem as all...
relay EFI clicks nonstop ...
removed and swapped with the Horn's relay - same thing.
Plugged the key back into the ignition - clicking stop.

Found on youtube ...how to replace in the toyota 2003 forunner.
Thought Toyota/Lexus they are used all/similar parts across all models
Follow the video, I removed and replaced the ignition key .. no issue.
NO more clicking.
Here is the link. ...

cheers ...

Last edited by nghia; 12-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi,
My '02 IS300 is starting to have the same problem. I just noticed the clicking last night. Heard some clicking and found out it's the EFI relay after looking around. Pulled the relay out and the clicking stops. Put the relay back and it continue to clicks after 10 seconds. Afterwards, had a weird problem with the horn honking (after unlocking the car with my Python alarm). The horn honks as if the factory alarm is activated. Car wouldn't start, it'll just crank forever but not start. Had to go somewhere so left, armed the alarm, then later came home unarmed the alarm and car starts. Now notices that the car honking (as if factory alarm is set off) for no apparent reason and randomly; it did it twice during the course of the day today. Would replacing the starter switch assembly resolve this issue? Thanks guys!

Edit: replaced the switch assembly and the EFI relay no longer clicks.

Last edited by specie; 12-29-2013 at 02:01 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by specie View Post
Hi,
My '02 IS300 is starting to have the same problem. I just noticed the clicking last night. Heard some clicking and found out it's the EFI relay after looking around. Pulled the relay out and the clicking stops. Put the relay back and it continue to clicks after 10 seconds. Afterwards, had a weird problem with the horn honking (after unlocking the car with my Python alarm). The horn honks as if the factory alarm is activated. Car wouldn't start, it'll just crank forever but not start. Had to go somewhere so left, armed the alarm, then later came home unarmed the alarm and car starts. Now notices that the car honking (as if factory alarm is set off) for no apparent reason and randomly; it did it twice during the course of the day today. Would replacing the starter switch assembly resolve this issue? Thanks guys!
Replacing the starter switch should correct the EFI problem, just try pulling the 8 wire connector off to see if it quits. Usually the switch shorts from inside. Can't say why the horn is honking, that is it's own independent circuit. I would start at the switch and see if that's the problem or you have a wiring short. Remember as long as the LED security indicator is blinking the immobilizer will allow no fuel. I would try to verify the horn is coming from the system trying to arm or from a bad clock spring or grounded switched input. Does it flash when it randomly honks?

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

Last edited by jasonm4; 12-11-2013 at 03:36 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 PM

I did change the ignition cylinder harness but I still have the clicking noise in the relay. ???
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotolu View Post
I did change the ignition cylinder harness but I still have the clicking noise in the relay. ???
Was the ignition switch even bad? I mean the first thing I would've done and suggested in the past is to pull the connectors off to see if it quits. Sounds more like you have a short on the red/black to ground between the EFI and transponder amplifier (located on ignition cylinder), because the EFI is a switched ground relay.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 PM

I think it was, you could see metal exposed like in the OP picture.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Follower

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hey guys so I'm having the same issue as in this thread, EFI relay clicking, clicking stops when I pull the relay, continues if I switch it with the horn. I'm getting ready to order the ignition switch assembly part # 8445012200. The clicking stops when the key is in the ignition.

However, I'm also getting another issue where after I start the car, the door open light stays on even though all the doors are closed. Along with that, the seatbealt light flashes even if I have my seat belt on. And also after a few seconds of the car being on, the fuel level drops to empty with yellow light flashing. Along with that the AC doesn't seem to blow cold air once that happens. This all started today after picking up my car front getting tints last night. They may have blown out something or shorted something with water. When I got there, they had my car on with ac on full blast and temp on the lowest. I called the shop and they said they didn't have to remove any door panels or anything or unplug any switches so I shouldn't have electrical problems.

Can anyone help me with this? The ignition switch may stop the clicking but will that get rid of my other problems too??

2003 MSM IS300 auto - RIP 9/28/13 4:30am
Current - 2002 BO 5MT IS300 w/LSD!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 07:46 PM

can you elaborate on the transponder ground problem? i changed ignition switch with no help. thanks
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So I replaced the the ignition cylinder harness and the relay but still have the clicking when the key is out of the ignition....does anyone know what the next step is moving forward?

-Zack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page