Dezod Green Header install problem ***UPDATE w/PICS*** - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:07 AM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asn007 View Post
Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue as Dezod made it to seem. I'm going to try loosening the manifold bolts, then pushing the headers back as far as it would go, then tighten. Even a few mm back and the pipe wouldn't be touching the bracket. Maybe loosening the vband and twisting it will give a few more mm of clearance.

Hope that does the trick as I really don't feel like we should need to cut/weld/hammer/tinker with a premium product that is marketed to be bolt on.

Have a feeling we aren't the only ones with this issue so hopefully someone that fixed this issue will chime in.
I`ve had my Dezod greens on for exactly a year now. They have rattled only while I`m in reverse at idle backing out of the garage since new. If I give it any throttle, the rattle goes away. To me, since others have compleined about a rattle, it`

2003 TCM Sport Design, LSD, Blitz, Dezod Green Headers, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, JoeZ Intake, Koni Yellow Shocks/H&R Sport Springs, Fog Mod, DRL Mod, E-Shift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue as Dezod made it to seem. I'm going to try loosening the manifold bolts, then pushing the headers back as far as it would go, then tighten. Even a few mm back and the pipe wouldn't be touching the bracket. Maybe loosening the vband and twisting it will give a few more mm of clearance.

Hope that does the trick as I really don't feel like we should need to cut/weld/hammer/tinker with a premium product that is marketed to be bolt on.

Have a feeling we aren't the only ones with this issue so hopefully someone that fixed this issue will chime in.
I`ve had my Dezod greens on for exactly a year now. They have rattled only while I`m in reverse at idle backing out of the garage since new. If I give it any throttle at all, the rattle goes away. To me, since others have complained about a rattle, it`s a Dezod issue. I had Lexus install mine.

And today, no rattle at all.

2003 TCM Sport Design, LSD, Blitz, Dezod Green Headers, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, JoeZ Intake, Koni Yellow Shocks/H&R Sport Springs, Fog Mod, DRL Mod, E-Shift

Last edited by EStoIS; 09-26-2016 at 03:31 PM.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStoIS View Post
I`ve had my Dezod greens on for exactly a year now. They have rattled only while I`m in reverse at idle backing out of the garage since new. If I give it any throttle at all, the rattle goes away. To me, since others have complained about a rattle, it`s a Dezod issue. I had Lexus install mine.

And today, no rattle at all.

I'm glad yours don't rattle no more. I'd settle if it only rattles in reverse. Will hope to get this issue resolved this weekend! Going to loosen the manifold bolts, pull the pipe back for some clearance and then tighten the bolts. Hope that does the trick!

Suspension: Tanabe Sustec Pro RR, Godspeed sways, F&R strut bar
Brakes: Supra BBK w/Racing Brake 2 piece rotors
Go fast stuff: PLP intake, TRD filter, Dezod Green Headers, Tanabe Touring Exhaust
External: Lsportline front
Wheels/Tires: TRD T3 Bronze/Michelin PSS
Torsen LSD

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
I'm glad yours don't rattle no more. I'd settle if it only rattles in reverse. Will hope to get this issue resolved this weekend! Going to loosen the manifold bolts, pull the pipe back for some clearance and then tighten the bolts. Hope that does the trick!

I`m sure mine will rattle again. I haven`t determined what the temp is when it does rattle yet. Might only be when it`s warmed up. Didn`t rattle this morning backing out.

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
Yeah, well most people are fuckups.

Assuming Dezod uses a jig when they make these things, it's very likely they're right. It assumes though that they didn't screw up too though. Looks to me like the vband clamp might be what's forcing the pipe into the crossmember. If it was just a little straighter, it probably wouldn't touch.

You've just highlighted a primary problem with paying someone else to install your mods. You now have Dezod and the installer at odds and you're stuck in the middle with a rattly car. You have no real way of knowing who screwed this up.

I'll bet that ball-peen hammer is looking better every day.

2" is a bunch. You'll force the whole exhaust back 2" To make this work, you'd have to add 2" at the header and then remove 2" in the exhaust someplace.

I'm getting the headers adjusted Saturday. Going to have them loosen the manifold bolts, vclamps, and adjust before tightening. If all else fails...going to wack that pipe with a ball-peen hammer for more clearance. Now if I do wack it...will the pipe just dent and not crack? Hate to cause even more of a problem. It will be used as a last resort effort.

Go fast stuff: PLP intake, TRD filter, Dezod Green Headers, Tanabe Touring Exhaust
Torsen LSD
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

So I went back to the shop to have the headers readjusted according to Dezod's instructions and stood by the entire time. They loosened the manifold bolts, vclamps and put a piece of board in between the ypipe and mount where it was touching to keep a gap as they adjusted it. Then the vclamps were tightened and the manifold bolts lastly, with a torque wrench.

So the moment of truth, the board was removed and...there is a 2-3mm gap (if that) between the ypipe and mount. The thing still rattles. The ypipe is simply too short and/or bent at the wrong location. It pulls my Tanabe exhaust forward towards the front of the car. I took pics to show how much the exhaust hangers are stretched.

I believe I just got a bad y-pipe...just short an inch. Really didn't expect this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2151.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	102770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2152.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	102778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2153.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	102786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2158.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	102794  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	102802  

Torsen LSD
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Garage
My dezod reds fit perfectly back in 2014. Is it possible your motor mounts are shot or something so your engine is sorta tilted?

02 GGP 234k on chassis
BD11A supercharger/dezod headers/greddy catback/bc264/hks cam gear. 285whp 260tq@6000rpm
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 12:43 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Damn, I was looking to buy this... guess I'm going to source alternatives.

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
In my experience, you can probably bend it a bit before it's gotten good and hot. Once it has gotten to full temp it gets a bit harder.

First thing I do is put a jack under the tranny, loosen the crossmember, mount to tranny and mount to crossmember bolts, jack up a bit to take the pressure off the mount and see if you can slide the cross member away from the pipe some.

If that doesn't get you enough, I'd take a grinder to the crossmember on that cormer.

If it's still not enough. I might tap the pipe in lightly with a ball-peen hammer.
Finally fixed the problem...took a shot-peen hammer to that pipe! 1/2 inch dent was all I needed. Rattle is gone! Thanks for the advice & Happy Holidays!

Torsen LSD
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
Damn, I was looking to buy this... guess I'm going to source alternatives.
It's a good quality header...you may have to tinker with it like I did but you will feel the gains. Get the Reds for a bit more power and better exhaust note.

Torsen LSD
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry just saw this but Lexus put on your headers? Lol.. I didn't know they put on aftermarket parts.. Some shops over here on the east coast will only let you use their parts.. never would have thought the Lexus dealer puts on headers lol. Must have been big bucks $$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page