LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Dezod Green Header install problem ***UPDATE w/PICS***

***UPDATE ON PG 3 w/PICS***

After waiting 2.5 months, I finally got my Dezod Green Headers! Couldn't wait to get them on. Took it to a shop and after a few hours, they ran into an issue of the down pipe hitting the transmission mount. They had to file down the mount a bit but the pipe still touches. All the other bolts, mounts, vclamps are tight, just the down pipe touches the tranny mount right after the v-clamp. Hope the pictures show this problem clearly.

Due to the down pipe touching the mount, it rattles like crazy. Not sure what to do...anyone else run into this issue with their green headers? Was this installed incorrectly? I took this to a reputable shop that is known to work on Lexus cars. They recommend I take this to a muffler shop and have them cut and extend the downpipe a bit so that the bend does not touch the tranny mount. Im thinking I shouldn't have to do this with the Dezod headers, especially how highly rated they are. Dezod green owners, please chime in!

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2090.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	101978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2111.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	101986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	101994  

Suspension: Tanabe Sustec Pro RR, Godspeed sways, F&R strut bar
Brakes: Supra BBK w/Racing Brake 2 piece rotors
Go fast stuff: PLP intake, TRD filter, Dezod Green Headers, Tanabe Touring Exhaust
External: Lsportline front
Wheels/Tires: TRD T3 Bronze/Michelin PSS
Torsen LSD

Last edited by asn007; 10-11-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: updated pics after adjustment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 132 Post(s)

That's interesting. Granted I got mine over 2 years ago, I didn't have any fitment issues that I can recall. Maybe someone with a picture from underneath can help to possibly see if something isn't installed right or can see some sort of defect.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)

AH That sucks bro. The woes of aftermarket parts. never quite right even when its for a lexus application. Some get lucky, most improvise.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

I'll contact Dezod to see what they have to say. It's a quality built header...just not quite right at one spot that ruins the whole experience. Perhaps the jigs they were using to make this moved a bit and caused this to happen. This really sucks...

Go fast stuff: PLP intake, TRD filter, Dezod Green Headers, Tanabe Touring Exhaust
Torsen LSD
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I had Lexus install mine. Only when in reveres does mine rattle a very little and ONLY at just above idle.

2003 TCM Sport Design, LSD, Blitz, Dezod Green Headers, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, JoeZ Intake, Koni Yellow Shocks/H&R Sport Springs, Fog Mod, DRL Mod, E-Shift
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStoIS View Post
I had Lexus install mine. Only when in reveres does mine rattle a very little and ONLY at just above idle.
can you take a picture to see the clearance between the pipe and tranny mount? Mine is already touching so it's rattling a lot. Not sure if it is installation error or whatever but just want to solve this issue so I can enjoy the product.

Torsen LSD
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Frequenter

I will snap some pics tonight - I would not want to live with a rattle sound.

2003 TCM Sport Design, LSD, Blitz, Dezod Green Headers, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, JoeZ Intake, Koni Yellow Shocks/H&R Sport Springs, Fog Mod, DRL Mod, E-Shift
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEHEMENCE View Post
AH That sucks bro. The woes of aftermarket parts. never quite right even when its for a lexus application. Some get lucky, most improvise.
I would expect the Ebay headers to be off but not for Dezod, especially at that price point and how highly reviewed they are. Wasn't looking to roll the dice when I bought these.

Torsen LSD
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
I will snap some pics tonight - I would not want to live with a rattle sound.
Thank you!!! Yeah...it's driving me nuts...not enjoyable at all, just sounds broken

Torsen LSD
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asn007 View Post
can you take a picture to see the clearance between the pipe and tranny mount? Mine is already touching so it's rattling a lot. Not sure if it is installation error or whatever but just want to solve this issue so I can enjoy the product.

The exhaust piping does allow for a fair amount of movement. Perhaps you could get under there and apply a small amount of pressure to an area that will free it up enough to stop the rubbing. I`m going to try this myself . . . .

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Frequenter

Or, I have thought about placing some kind of thin rubber (?) isolation in between the two parts that are rubbing.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Or, I have thought about placing some kind of thin rubber (?) isolation in between the two parts that are rubbing.
The pipe will be extremely hot and will melt the rubber. I don't even have enough clearance to put anything inbetween.

Torsen LSD
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)

Quote:
The exhaust piping does allow for a fair amount of movement. Perhaps you could get under there and apply a small amount of pressure to an area that will free it up enough to stop the rubbing. I`m going to try this myself .
In my experience, you can probably bend it a bit before it's gotten good and hot. Once it has gotten to full temp it gets a bit harder.

First thing I do is put a jack under the tranny, loosen the crossmember, mount to tranny and mount to crossmember bolts, jack up a bit to take the pressure off the mount and see if you can slide the cross member away from the pipe some.

If that doesn't get you enough, I'd take a grinder to the crossmember on that cormer.

If it's still not enough. I might tap the pipe in lightly with a ball-peen hammer.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
In my experience, you can probably bend it a bit before it's gotten good and hot. Once it has gotten to full temp it gets a bit harder.

First thing I do is put a jack under the tranny, loosen the crossmember, mount to tranny and mount to crossmember bolts, jack up a bit to take the pressure off the mount and see if you can slide the cross member away from the pipe some.

If that doesn't get you enough, I'd take a grinder to the crossmember on that cormer.

If it's still not enough. I might tap the pipe in lightly with a ball-peen hammer.

Thanks, it looks like a lot of work to get it to fit right. I'll see if the shop can adjust it a bit more. They had to file that corner down a bit to fit...but it's still touching. Hate to have to hit it with a hammer to fit. It should just fit! So frustrating...especially for the amount of time I waited for these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page