LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpanic View Post
just the frs diff should come with no axel stubs you may need new seals depends where you get your diff from. the axel stubs from our diff spline right in i hammered mine in with a dead blow not recommened maybe you can take it a shop and have them press them in.
I guess I will find out. I ordered it on Monday and should be here by the end of the week. I may hold off on putting it in depending on some other folks results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Ark View Post
I guess I will find out. I ordered it on Monday and should be here by the end of the week. I may hold off on putting it in depending on some other folks results.

I've read of two successful installs so far. Mine is going in this weekend, so I'll post my results too. I expect it to install perfect with some washers on each front bushing mount. I ordered all new bolts and axle seals too.

01 IS300 - MSM - 185k mile high club

Currently in: snow mode

BRZ Differential w/ 4.1 -- K&N FIPK Intake -- CXRacing Coilovers -- IS350 Wheels -- Greddy Lip [RIP :(]

Hotchkis Sways -- Megan Racing Y-Pipe -- Spec-d Catback (for now)

"Gotta work on the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing bolts on the car"

Last edited by therock0720; 11-19-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #78 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I installed my on my ownsome so yeah it definately works, but like i said main things if you don't want to push the bush are spacers or brz, frs bolts and changing out axel stubs other then that bolts right in (^_^). If you wanna be really clean make sure you get new axel stub bolts and change out seals if you need to. I have been smashing on mine and i love doing asshole things like burnouts and sliding down the highway. It makes the car more torquey as in like driving in overdrive gears, but you get used to that. I want to hear other peoples experiences. Its a cheap upgrade which makes the car more fun in my experience so fuck it up ~('.'~)(~'.')~! do it do it do it heheheh
therock0720 likes this.

post #79 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpanic View Post
I installed my on my ownsome so yeah it definately works, but like i said main things if you don't want to push the bush are spacers or brz, frs bolts and changing out axel stubs other then that bolts right in (^_^). If you wanna be really clean make sure you get new axel stub bolts and change out seals if you need to. I have been smashing on mine and i love doing asshole things like burnouts and sliding down the highway. It makes the car more torquey as in like driving in overdrive gears, but you get used to that. I want to hear other peoples experiences. Its a cheap upgrade which makes the car more fun in my experience so fuck it up ~('.'~)(~'.')~! do it do it do it heheheh
Sweet, I'm doing the seals and all the bolts. I ordered our bolts but I think I'm going to try to order the FRS/BRZ bolts to see if those work. That way I can return the $11 washers I ordered from a shop .

Edit - scratch that idea with the FRS bolts. Dealer can't get them for 5 days and they're triple the price of the Lexus ones. I'll stick with what I had planned!

BRZ Differential w/ 4.1 -- K&N FIPK Intake -- CXRacing Coilovers -- IS350 Wheels -- Greddy Lip [RIP :(]

"Gotta work on the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing bolts on the car"

Last edited by therock0720; 11-19-2015 at 08:33 AM.
post #80 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

i ordered the frs bolts but it doesnt look like they will get here in time. Dealership wouldnt let me pick them up and said they had to ship them. Kind of an annoyance. Either way im just going to install it with washers. will probably go back later and see if the frs bolts fit perfectly but that depends on weather. Im not replacing any of the other stuff, just putting it in.

how easy is it to remove the stubs from the IS diff? is there a special process i should know about?

I wish it was already Saturday
therock0720 likes this.
post #81 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM
Lurker

Mine arrived today. I am in no hurry to get it in so I'll be keeping an eye on you guys. If anyone posts a dedicated thread for it, link it from here.

Oh, and does anyone have the part numbers for the FRS bolts handy? We should compile a list of parts and numbers for future reference.
post #82 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

Output Axle Seals - 9031143009 (need 2)
Lexus Front Diff Bolts - 90109A0054 (need 2) OR you can try the BRZ bolts below
BRZ/FRS Front Diff Bolts - 41386CA000 (need 2)
Rear Diff Bolts - 9011014006 (need 3)
Axle Bolts - 9011010016 (need 12)
Drain/Fill Crush Washers - 1215710010 (need 2)
Land Ark likes this.

post #83 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Frequenter

FLANGE BOLT-DIFFERENTIAL MEMBER,REAR 41386CA000 $6.20

FYI shipping also cost me $12 lol so $12 for the bolts and $12 for shipping because they wouldnt let me pick them up at the dealer
post #84 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Frequenter

post #85 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvl3rd View Post
FLANGE BOLT-DIFFERENTIAL MEMBER,REAR 41386CA000 $6.20

FYI shipping also cost me $12 lol so $12 for the bolts and $12 for shipping because they wouldnt let me pick them up at the dealer
Quote:
That's crazy! I would be so mad about that.

post #86 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Frequenter

yep its terrible. Got an email that says its supposed to ship today. The dealer is only 10 miles away, i just want to go pick it up. Reserved some time with a lift at a buddies shop tomorrow so i dont really have the option of delaying install. Ill just see if they work later and install with washers to get it in. Need to do some burnouts in my worn out blizzaks before i install my new tires lol
therock0720 likes this.
post #87 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
yep its terrible. Got an email that says its supposed to ship today. The dealer is only 10 miles away, i just want to go pick it up. Reserved some time with a lift at a buddies shop tomorrow so i dont really have the option of delaying install. Ill just see if they work later and install with washers to get it in. Need to do some burnouts in my worn out blizzaks before i install my new tires lol
I'd call and talk to a manager. All my local dealers allow local pickup, including the Subaru dealer .

post #88 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Frequenter

Done!

Get everything installed today. Tried to take some crappy pictures. Its all pretty straight forward. I also ended up using washers because my brz bolts never showed up.

First things first we got the car in the air. Went to a buddies house that I know from my subaru days who had a lift and air tools. Well worth the small amount of money and set of project mu wrx brake pads that I traded for the install help and lift time lol.

ended up loosening the sway bar mounts and letting it hang just to get some more room.

This is where things got fun. We actually couldn't get an allen to the bolts on the left there on a ratchet or on the gun so we decided to make our own tool for the job lol. Hammer one into a wrench that never gets used and once its the correct length weld that shit. Did the job and got the rear mount bolts undone.

pulled the axle out of the left side.

messed around for a bit trying to figure out how to get the axle stub out. Its in there pretty good.

Just needed some persuasion in the form of hitting the back of it with a hammer.

did the same thing to the other side and now have them both out and placed net to the brz diff.

down comes the IS300 diff

Pressed the axle stubs into the BRZ diff until the splines mesh. put a cheater bar in the middle of the stub and added some more hammer persuasion.

and the other side

Lets get this thing up in the car!

now here's how i dealt with the bolts not being threaded long enough. a stack of 4 5/8 hardened steel washers. .125 inches thick.

and she's in!

put the axles back into the stubs. It was easiest to kind of slide them in from the top of the stubs.

And a picture of me driving 60ish to show the rpms

all in all it was pretty straight forward. Filled it up with some Motul 75w90. Had good luck with this fluid on my old subaru. Car feels good. The gearing change isn't super noticeable but it does feel like it has some more pep coming off the line.

Thats it!
lexpanic, therock0720 and Land Ark like this.

Last edited by tvl3rd; 12-09-2015 at 07:34 AM.
post #89 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Lurker

Awesome, thank you for documenting that.
It seems very straight forward aside from getting that hex bolt out.
post #90 of 186 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Frequenter

Honestly we could have just picked up a shorter or longer hex socket but I think Colin wanted to play with his welder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page