Auto to Manual Swap, Wiring, Ecu, CC, NSS, CLSW, Trac, Snow, now smogged in CA! - Page 10 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for the glorious write-up, Curran and friends.

I, too, am interested in performing such an operation. I currently drive an '02 manual, but I'm in the market for a sportcross and would like to convert it to manual and maintain a feel as close to factory as possible.

Any general words of wisdom or advice in addition to what's already been said in the thread?

Many Thanks,

- Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Clutch Pedal

It definitely took a lot more parts than I originally thought. I had to make an Excel sheet for all the parts as I wouldn't be able to remember them all.

Last edited by mumathew; 04-05-2016 at 09:58 PM.
post #138 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curran View Post
I do not believe the vin is stored in the ecu, not even the miles are stored in the ecu. If I can pass in California twice at different places, I cant imagine a place on earth you cant pass.
NJ makes you go to a dedicated inspection facility with high tech cameras and systems so It's really hard to get away with anything. Might even be as hard as california to pass. They used to have a machine here that would shake all for corners to check for bad struts and they use undercar video to see whats under your car. A license plate light out would make you fail. Thank god they only do emission now.

post #139 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Curran, what would happen if you stuck with the auto gauge cluster (besides looking like a d*ck with the gear selector indicators on your manual car)? I'm still gathering parts since this swap will be from auto to AR5 and I've only had the car for a week, so I'm just wrapping my head around what is ESSENTIAL and what just looks better (like the manual steering wheel). I've located a salvage yard within driving distance that has all of the interior bits I could need, so I'm just building my shopping list for IS based parts. Thanks for any help.

-Chris
post #140 of 150 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Guru

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I am still concerned that the new manual ECU will not scan via OBD2 port and register the correct VIN for emissions
post #141 of 150 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTheBeatnic View Post
Curran, what would happen if you stuck with the auto gauge cluster (besides looking like a d*ck with the gear selector indicators on your manual car)? I'm still gathering parts since this swap will be from auto to AR5 and I've only had the car for a week, so I'm just wrapping my head around what is ESSENTIAL and what just looks better (like the manual steering wheel). I've located a salvage yard within driving distance that has all of the interior bits I could need, so I'm just building my shopping list for IS based parts. Thanks for any help.

-Chris
manual cluster and manual steering wheel are not essential. The cars miles are stored in the cluster not ecu, so its probably a bad ideal to change it. another option is to replace the overlay from a manual onto your auto, though the odometer openings are missaligned slightly. or just leave it auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyRich View Post
I am still concerned that the new manual ECU will not scan via OBD2 port and register the correct VIN for emissions
obd2 will continue to work, i dont believe the vin is stored in the ecu or even labled on the outside.

13 J8A FR-S Series 10
02 CW Sportcross rebuild in progress
02 BO Sportcross 2jzgte build in progress
11 SW Tundra DC TRD supercharged

02 MSM L-tuned Sportcross 5 Speed Sold
01 DWP IS300 Sold

Sportcross owners group on facebook

My Story: http://my.is/forums/f219/sportcross-...8/#post7991882

My For Sale: http://my.is/forums/f99/sportcross-s...hifter-438917/
post #142 of 150 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Guru

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Well I have a bigger issues, being that I have a 01 chassis. The 02-05 kick panel side harness plugs need to be repinned to match 01 chassis wiring. ....ughhhhh
post #143 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyRich View Post
Well I have a bigger issues, being that I have a 01 chassis. The 02-05 kick panel side harness plugs need to be repinned to match 01 chassis wiring. ....ughhhhh
what did you end up doing, I have an 01 as well I thought my transmission was slipping so I replaced it with a 5 speed kept the AT ECU.....

how essential is it to use MT ECU?

Is there some sort of limp mode that all 11 of those CELs set??

Last edited by I_is_BLocKeN; 02-21-2017 at 06:26 PM.
post #144 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Can you just take an 01 a/t car and repin with correct connectors for 02+ with 02 ecu and call it a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986.5 Toyota supra mkiii 1jzgte (sold)
2001 GGP is300 (dd w/ boost in near future)
post #145 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:00 AM

I think there is more to it than that, from what I understand 01's get their Speedo reading from ABS where as 02+ readings come from somewhere else I'm not sure exactly. I imagine one would have to take that in to account while repining the plugs.....

but if someone has done this PLEASE HELP!!!!
Hakujohn likes this.
post #146 of 150 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:59 PM
2jt

Did your clutch pedal work in the position you have it pictured being installed? I just assembled my pedal and it is sprung fully engaged and it doesn't seem right but looking at your pictures I see yours was also fully engaged

Last edited by 2jt; 02-28-2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #147 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curran View Post
manual cluster and manual steering wheel are not essential. The cars miles are stored in the cluster not ecu, so its probably a bad ideal to change it. another option is to replace the overlay from a manual onto your auto, though the odometer openings are missaligned slightly. or just leave it auto.

obd2 will continue to work, i dont believe the vin is stored in the ecu or even labled on the outside.
I put a 2003 ECU in my 2005 and I no longer have a VIN number when I plug the OBD scanner into my car. I think the 2004-2005 have the VIN on the ECU and the 2002-2003 have it somewhere else. I can't pass inspection currently because of the VIN not being present. I have a 2005 ECU but I can't find anyone who can give me an answer about whether I can reprogram the VIN to my car.

For those of you who converted and used a manual ECU, Did your VIN stay the same on your 2002-2003 IS300? I mean you converted your 02/03 to manual, used a manual ECU and your car still shows your correct VIN when you plug in your OBD2 scanner. thanks to anyone who replies as this is giving me trouble more than the conversion itself.

2005 IS300 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual - LSD - Eibach Pro - Tokico HP (Blue) - Superpro Steering Rack Bushings, Sway Bushings, Front and Rear Upper Control Arm
post #148 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You will need to pick up a 2005 ECU if the 2002/2003 can't be reprogrammed with a VIN. You'll need to contact Lexus.
post #149 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:05 AM
Fiend

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Contact the clean air people for your area. They should be able to give you an exemption or tell you what you need to do. We have done entire engines and computers different that the OEM for the body. It just needed all the original emissions equipment. Id tags should not stop it.
post #150 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Follower

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Only 2005MY have the VIN saved on the ECU. Lexus and advanced scan tools can erase and program your VIN once the ECU is installed in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page