Lexus IS Forum banner

What RPM do you shift at?

18K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  blackface 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity, at what RPM does everyone shift at? My IS is my first stick car, and I've been shifting at 2.5k when cold and 3k at operating temp. Too much/too little? I couldn't find any other threads with feedback. Thanks!

#6 ·
2.5k-3k are my shifting points becasue its extremely smooth.

#9 ·
shifting at 4-4.5k is definitely NOT normal driving..haha but yeah the IS was my first manual car too, but between 2-3k for normal driving and I might cruise at 1.5k in 5th gear sometimes to save gas, past 3k for quicker, more aggressive driving. You'll figure it out pretty quick

#10 ·
shifting at 4-4.5k is definitely NOT normal driving..haha but yeah the IS was my first manual car too, but between 2-3k for normal driving and I might cruise at 1.5k in 5th gear sometimes to save gas, past 3k for quicker, more aggressive driving. You'll figure it out pretty quick
Your shit is weak. You might as well be driving an automagic then. I mean that for all of you low revving weak sisters. What's the point of having a performancy car if you're going to drive it like a mini-van? Hell my Odyssey shifts at higher revs and it's an automatic.

You guys aren't even getting into the meaty section of the torque curve. Stock torque peak is something like 3700 RPM.

I'm exaggerating a little but not much.

#13 ·
I keep it in gear until I feel the power go flat. Check out the horsepower/torque chart that was posted. Torque starts to drop off about 3700 rpm. For normal driving I run it up to there just for the enjoyment of hearing the engine. Even though horsepower is still building, you'll feel the torque more. For "spirited" driving, wind it on up and shift at a point where the rpm's will drop down to around 3500 in the next gear so you have close to peak torque when getting back on the throttle. Probably about the point where horsepower peaks and torque is taking a nose dive - say 5500-6000. That gives some headroom before redline.

Sounds to me like Ek9B18 is the only one here who *really* drives his IS...

#15 ·
6,400, just as it bounces off the rev limiter.:mgun:
It is normal for me to run through the entire range for lower gears.
I also don't believe into 1st gear being used only for starting.
My IS300 never skipped a beat. :grin:

#16 ·
I noted what RPM's my Odyssey was shifting at this morning on the way to 7-11. I took off mildly quickly out of my driveway. Maybe 1/4 throttle. Hit 4500 RPM's before it shifted up (didn't warm it up). Hard to believe some of you won't even match an automatic transmission driven people mover.

I didn't use to drive it like this. I used to keep it below 3.2k or so, but then I read that VVTi doesn't kick in unless you open the throttle.
I figure the problems is whoever taught these people to shift. They probably taught them to short shift them.

#20 ·
I always let the vehicle warm up and normal shifting 1&2 gear 3500-3800, as I get up to speed I shift a little sooner. On Ramps to the interstate ALWAYS a solid second gear pull from about 3200rpm to redline. Go ahead and try and merge on me!!

I am bone stock (5spd) w/ 187k miles, and she still purs like the day she was new.

If you notice your fuel gauge you will actually get worse mpg in the lower rpms, this car loves 3k rpm range for efficiency.

#22 ·
If you notice your fuel gauge you will actually get worse mpg in the lower rpms, this car loves 3k rpm range for efficiency.
I noticed that and do the same thing. I cruise around closer to 3k in the city and it seems like better mileage and a good place in the power band to step on it and go without a downshift.

#24 ·
I call BS. :surprise:
"The higher the RPM the more horse power your engine deliver. The longer you stay at high RPM the more energy you waste."

I'm also fairly certain that VVTi is always active, not an on-off switch at specific RPMs like VTEC used to be.

Bottom line, IS300 eats gas. If you're going to drive it like a Prius, go get one! It sure as hell ain't built to be driven by a bunch of sloths.

#26 ·
What is the point, though? Adjust shifting patterns for better fuel economy or curiosity?
If it's the fuel economy, then it is a wrong car for it. Just drive the darn thing!

#28 · (Edited)
If it's the fuel economy, then it is a wrong car for it. Just drive the darn thing!
I've never calculated fuel economy in any vehicle I've owned. I just drive the darn things :lol:

When I had a 2.2, 5 speed S10, I was like, "Oh, this is nice. I don't have to fill up as often as the IS." That was the closest I came to making a calculation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.