What is this part and is what's making my noise? - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Personally i have never had a vibration or hum during braking ever come from anything other than rotors, pads or wheel bearings, i struggle to see how ball joints or tie rods would cause that unless they are soo knackered that they are on the verge of falling apart. 95% of the time i have skimmed the rotor and all noise or vibration when braking has gone away, only once has it ever been pad related and it surprised me until i saw how the pad had worn.

And don't always assume new rotors will arrive machined true, i have had them arrive out of true despite the fresh machine marks and QA stamps. If you have a DTI you could try clocking it to see for sure.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10

Last edited by Pnut00; 03-07-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut00 View Post
Personally i have never had a vibration or hum during braking ever come from anything other than rotors, pads or wheel bearings, i struggle to see how ball joints or tie rods would cause that unless they are soo knackered that they are on the verge of falling apart. 95% of the time i have skimmed the rotor and all noise or vibration when braking has gone away, only once has it ever been pad related and it surprised me until i saw how the pad had worn.

And don't always assume new rotors will arrive machined true, i have had them arrive out of true despite the fresh machine marks and QA stamps. If you have a DTI you could try clocking it to see for sure.
Thanks. I got with Summit Racing where I bought the kit. I just have to order new ones and swap them out and theyll refund me. So we'll see if that works.

They are slotted and drilled. From what I understand, you cant machine those...?
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 AM
Follower

Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Did you have the rotors trued before installing them? Even new rotors should be cut before installing. I have had many new rotors come warped. I think the factory cuts them before they are completely cooled, but thats just my speculation.

What I would suggest is remove the rotors and have them trued by a uto parts shop with a lathe and see how it drives. Its usually $12 per rotor. Hang on to the other parts for a little while. If the shake comes back start replacing the other parts. Worn ball jts and tie rods paired with unevenly worn tires will bring back the shake.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Follower

And dont forget to bed the brake pads properly. One of the biggest rookie mistakes is to just swap parts and drive on. If you are unfamiliar with bedding brake pads, google it

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM QUIKR View Post
Did you have the rotors trued before installing them? Even new rotors should be cut before installing. I have had many new rotors come warped. I think the factory cuts them before they are completely cooled, but thats just my speculation.

What I would suggest is remove the rotors and have them trued by a uto parts shop with a lathe and see how it drives. Its usually $12 per rotor. Hang on to the other parts for a little while. If the shake comes back start replacing the other parts. Worn ball jts and tie rods paired with unevenly worn tires will bring back the shake.

Thanks! As mentioned in previous posts, I'm not anything of a "car guy" or "mechanic" so I didnt even know about having rotors "trued"

Im learning now as I go and Im trying to "refurbish" my IS300 to keep it going until I truly need a new car.

The mechanic checked the ball joints and tie rods and cleared them. Tires a brand new. Alignment done. Balancing done.

Im going to get the new ones in, have them "trued" as you said and then install. See what happens there.

Summit Racing was easy about getting them swapped on warranty. All they asked were if the mechanic inspected them and if they were properly "broken" in. Both of which were true.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
And dont forget to bed the brake pads properly. One of the biggest rookie mistakes is to just swap parts and drive on. If you are unfamiliar with bedding brake pads, google it
I did. Instructions came with brakes.

One thing though, Summit Racing only wants to swap out the front rotors as thats where the problem seems to be...

Is this wise? Would I swap out the whole 4 rotor/pads kit?

If I do the bed in process again, wouldnt that affect the rear rotors?
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

BUMP

Any suggestions or advice?
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Frequenter

Depends on where the vibration is, sometimes its hard to tell. 9/10 times it is the front rotors in my experience, they warp more as they are the ones subjected to the most abuse and heat. How hard are you pressing on the peddle before feeling the vibration? Usually if it is rears they come on when you are hard on the peddle (the rears only do like 10% of the total braking so will be hardly touching under light braking) and you will feel the back tending to jump around if there is nothing in the back. I would probably try the fronts first, then the rears if needed. Either way they are easy on swapping out under warranty so shouldn't be an issue if you have to do that later on.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Follower

Did you find your clunk? It could be the obvious. The pad clips may be missing or loose and you are hearing the pad plates shifting in the brackets when you change directions.

On my IS00, I started getting a slight shake while braking hard last week. When I got to work after an hour's drive, I touched the front rotors to see if they had the same heat. The drivers side was cool (normal) and the passengers side is hot. Its cold outside which leads me to think the passenger caliper has seized. Sure enough, as I left work, I could hear the FR brakes scrubbing/grinding. So I will be replacing the calipers this weekend. I put rebuilts on 8 years and 100,000 miles ago. So I guess I got my monies worth.

New Brakes are complete

Last edited by IM QUIKR; 03-19-2017 at 07:31 AM.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Fiend

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Quote:
Did you find your clunk? It could be the obvious. The pad clips may be missing or loose and you are hearing the pad plates shifting in the brackets when you change directions.

On my IS00, I started getting a slight shake while braking hard last week. When I got to work after an hours drive, I touched the front rotors to see if they had the same heat. The drivers side was cool (normal) and the passengers side is hot. Its cold outside which leads me to think the passenger caliper has seized. Sure enough, as I left work, I could hear the FR brakes scrubbing/grinding. So I will be replacing the calipers this weekend. I put rebuilts on 8 years and 100,000 miles ago. So I guess I got my monies worth.
Pins are stuck.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 SolarYellow View Post
Pins are stuck.
Normally I would agree but not this time. The pins were well lubed and moving. The pistons were badly rusted. I actually had to hammer the caliper/bracket setup off the rotors with a dead blow hammer. They were toast.

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:

On my IS00, I started getting a slight shake while braking hard last week. When I got to work after an hour's drive, I touched the front rotors to see if they had the same heat. The drivers side was cool (normal) and the passengers side is hot. Its cold outside which leads me to think the passenger caliper has seized. Sure enough, as I left work, I could hear the FR brakes scrubbing/grinding. So I will be replacing the calipers this weekend. I put rebuilts on 8 years and 100,000 miles ago. So I guess I got my monies worth.

New Brakes are complete
Yes...the clunk were indeed the lower control arms #2 . Basically any time I parked and then would drive out in the afternoon, when I turned the wheel, it would "clunk" and when I turned the wheel back, it would "clunk" again. If the change, all is good with that.

NOW though, I have more "clunks" when the suspension is being put to the test. Lets say a very uneven/bumpy road, I hear the worst clunks and what not. If I go over a speed bump and immediately stop, I hear a clunk. Without fail. I can back it up, go over it again and brake, clunk! I thought maybe I put my LCA#2 on wrong, but they dont seem loose at all. I torqued them to spec. I dont know. Maybe those are strong now but are showing the weakness in other parts? I ordered Inner/Outer Tie Rods, Lower Ball Joints and I'm going to order Upper Control arms too. Possibly new front shocks.

Any ideas on what else it could be?

As for the brakes, Ill do the test you said. Maybe mine have the same issue. Im just waiting for the right date to return the new rotors and get the replacements to eliminate the whole "warped rotor" theory.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Frequenter

Roll bar end links?

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut00 View Post
Roll bar end links?
Ah yes, I thought about those too. I guess I could order those and have them installed as well. Basically doing the entire front suspension now lol
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

My bet would be the lower balljoints or the endlinks on the antiroll bar that's still making noise. Good thing you already ordered lower balljoints, that's a part that goes bad on these cars with age and is pretty dangerous if one of them break while you're driving.

02' Manual w/MKIII LSD and no sunroof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Pnut00
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page