6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Turbo kit

Can anyone tell me if this is a XS power turbo kit. They say it is but I thought that XS used the same intercooler as CX Racing does or did they use a different one when they first come out?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122052844482

Last edited by allturbo98; 03-08-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

I wouldn't trust this kit. It says GE or GTE even though the exhaust and intake manifold is different. That intercooler is probably just a generic one. The CX intercooler that you are thinking of is IS300 specific. And this is advertised as a universal kit. Don't buy it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Yeah I would never ever trust that.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

hijacking this thread some....

What exactly is involved in adding turbo?

Im by no means a mechanic so speak english if possible...

Everything I read is "swap out for Supra engine"

Why cant you add turbo to stock IS300 engine? And if you can, is it drop and go? Or are modifications needed? If so, what kind?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noloc4545 View Post
hijacking this thread some....

What exactly is involved in adding turbo?

Im by no means a mechanic so speak english if possible...

Everything I read is "swap out for Supra engine"

Why cant you add turbo to stock IS300 engine? And if you can, is it drop and go? Or are modifications needed? If so, what kind?

Search more. This is probably the most talked about topic on this site and it's been answers thousands of times.
Touge2jz likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Frequenter

There is so much involved with boost. I'm not trying to be a dick but there are some threads that are stickied at the top that can help. It's not as simple as adding a turbo. There are plenty of modifications that need to be done besides that.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuspuppy View Post
I wouldn't trust this kit. It says GE or GTE even though the exhaust and intake manifold is different. That intercooler is probably just a generic one. The CX intercooler that you are thinking of is IS300 specific. And this is advertised as a universal kit. Don't buy it.
Yeah, I was just wondering if there was ever a kit like this. I don't really trust it because it just seemed like I have never seen any kit like this just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

As easy as 1,2,3.

blkdout, c1L, Touge2jz and 1 others like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Enough said.

I have no dreams of racing or anything.

I was just curious.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noloc4545 View Post
Enough said.

I have no dreams of racing or anything.

I was just curious.
I see. Basically when building this specific car you start by swapping out the stock headers for a turbo manifold. Obviously with a turbo. You drill into the oil pan for a return line. Tap into an oil pressure source for an oil feed to the turbo. You'll have a custom downpipe with your wideband sensor that measures A/F ratios and transmits that data to your engine management of choice. A lot of people choose to get a piggyback system. The piggyback basic alters signals coming into it from the stock harness. Rather than just controlling it by itself. In its most basic form... The best way to do it in a street car is to go standalone running in parallel with the stock ECU. This way the stock ECU controls things like AC, and traction control, while the standalone controls things like fuel and ignition... It's easier to tune on a standalone and it's more reliable. You are going to need an array of different aftermarket sensors with it too. Next is fuel... We typically get bigger injectors and a larger fuel pump. It's also a good idea to set up a fuel return, but it's not needed. You'll have gauges that measure boost, A/F ratio, oil temp, etc. Really it's whatever you want... You can technically go without it.. but it's a good idea to have just in case it starts over boosting. There is also the wastegate that limits the amount of pressure that builds up in the turbo (effectively controlling the amount of boost you have) you might have a boost solenoid working in tandem with the wastegate so you can manually set the point that the valve inside the wastegate opens. On the compressor outlet of the turbo typically there is the intercooler piping that runs to a front mount intercooler that simply cools the air going into the intake. Somewhere on there is the blow off valve the relieves pressure when letting off the throttle to prevent surge. Most people opt for having colder spark plugs . I personally use densos coppers and gap them.

That's all building on the GE without even touching the engine. For serious power most people swap out for GTE internals , with ARP hardware, and a fresh rebuild to ensure reliability. Some people use the GTE headgasket to lower the compression. I am not one of those people. Everything else is really just extra.
You can go with a lot more. Or maybe even a little less. I probably forgot a few things... But I'm sure someone might be able to fill in somewhere.

I was curious too one day. And now I'm a broke college student with a turbo IS300. Haha take care.
Touge2jz likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 224 Post(s)

OP - the thing I don't like about this kit is one picture is with a GS300 and another with a Supra... Seems like a universal kit to me, which means you may run into fitment issues.

Luke 6:41-42.
-------------------
Proud to represent JCE10MW. You won't find a better group of car guys.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
OP - the thing I don't like about this kit is one picture is with a GS300 and another with a Supra... Seems like a universal kit to me, which means you may run into fitment issues.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I was just searching to see if there were any other alternatives to turboing the GE besides CX or XS kits. I might just piece one together. Its the whole engine management that gets me trying figure out the one to get.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

just go with the gte swap
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

You are telling someone who cannot identify a turbo kit to do an engine swap. That hardly seems like good advice and more like an "I just want to play" comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaCTioNaL View Post
You are telling someone who cannot identify a turbo kit to do an engine swap. That hardly seems like good advice and more like an "I just want to play" comment.
Lol, 100% .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page