Toyota Turned down doing the 90K - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Toyota Turned down doing the 90K

So I just got my IS300 and after speaking with the previous owner and reviewing the maintenance history from lexus I discovered that the 90K service may have been missed. The previous owner did disclose parts he has replaced such as alternator and radiator, but he never touched the timing belt. Since the car vehicle now has 145k on it, I decided to go get the 90k taken care of. Reading all the threads, I decided to take it over to Toyota, many of you have agreed this is cheaper than the lexus stealership. I got there and the guy at the service desk told me that they could not work on the car???? That Toyota dealership was not allowed to work on the car since the were already affiliated with the lexus dealership just down the street? What the hell just happened????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:40 AM
Follower

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Yup! Had that happen to me as well. Its called collusion. Find an independant shop that specializes in japanese cars. It will cost you half the stealership rate. In my opinion, avoid the stealerships for service. The cars always come out needing more work a month later. Coincidence...I think not.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

yea, i figured. going thru everything on the maintenance list i figure i can do it myself. Honestly i just don't want to touch the timing on the vehicle. Not everyday u get a used car with an unaltered 2jz engine.
Another thing, do u think the tranny fluid change is absolutely needed? Dipstick says no need to change, maintenance says another. and the transmission was replace at 40k from lexus so it has about 100k on it. No idea if it ever been changed. Get the drain and fill or nah?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I say do it. It's really easy to DIY.

1987 Toyota MR2
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
2002 Lexus IS300
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)

Quote:
yea, i figured. going thru everything on the maintenance list i figure i can do it myself. Honestly i just don't want to touch the timing on the vehicle. Not everyday u get a used car with an unaltered 2jz engine.
Another thing, do u think the tranny fluid change is absolutely needed? Dipstick says no need to change, maintenance says another. and the transmission was replace at 40k from lexus so it has about 100k on it. No idea if it ever been changed. Get the drain and fill or nah?
How long do you plan on keeping it?

Needs a timing belt now. If you're only going to keep it 4-5 years then the tranny fluid probably doesn't matter. If you plan on keeping it longer, you might want to drain and fill the tranny. Drain and fill only gets 20-25% of the total fluid amount which is why I drain and fill my high mileage auto's with each oil change.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Not everyone will have the set of tools and knowledge to get this service done at home. I highly recommend you use YELP and find someone in your area other than any dealership to do the service. For an auto shop, this should be a walk in the park. There's nothing really special about our cars that makes it any different than any other timing belt job. You just need some serious cranking power to get that crank bolt out. I used like a 5ft metal pole on a breaker bar to get that damn thing loose. It was pretty scary when it finally popped open and I heard a loud metal popping noise.

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank u guys for the great feed back! Most of the things on the list i can do myself, like the oil changes filters, brakes ect. im really just looking on prices for the timing belt. Engine timing on this car still something i rather not be a first timer on nor something i wanna risk messing up on my own.

I do plan on keeping it for a very long time. all of my cars are high mileage, with my old camry leading the way at 230K still runs like a champ. Usually all the cars i buy i tend to keep till it rusts away into eternity. thats also due to my bit of car OCD. why im searching for someone who specializes in Japanese/toyota/lexus.

And for the tranny i think im going to do a drain and fill, but take the advice on it regularly or at least in accordance with the service schedule.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

If you're planning to keep the car for awhile make sure you replace the water pump, cam, valve cover and crank seal and also the VVTI pulley so it doesn't leak oil later. Just get everything done while you're in there and you wont have to worry about leaks later.

There are kits on ebay consisting mostly of OEM parts (I highly recommend OEM) which is great for the money. Get it done right and you will be happy with the longevity later.

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

whole job done for $668, all OEM, except for the serpentine belt possible it might be a Gates.... meh.
Final verdict: Highly satisfied IS owner
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Yes I would change the trans fluid

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikeshiva16 View Post
whole job done for $668, all OEM, except for the serpentine belt possible it might be a Gates.... meh.
Final verdict: Highly satisfied IS owner

Nice!

1987 Toyota MR2
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
2002 Lexus IS300
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

sorry to hi jack, but in regards to tranny fluid, i heard its a sensitive thing to do, like if u overfill it will cause serious damage, or that if the fluid is already dirty its best to leave it be. I really want to do a change not a flush, but i dont know if a independent shop can be trusted. Some of those guys just drain is and fill it to the top..

Is it worth the risk? Also i wanted to put some lucas tranny lube in there too, is that a bad idea?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

honestly it depends on how much u trust the tranny and shop/yourself. depending on who is doing it. I had a new tranny install in mine at about 40k, its now 145k I dont have any maintenance records that says its been changed every 30K-ish. so its a bit of a gamble. looking at the color on the dipstick and the way the car shifts into gear (automatic btw) I say its safe and I would get one done now then maybe again in like 15-20k (advice from a friend, open to comments on that bit) then start the 30k intervals.
Toyota/Lexus transmissions, skip the additives, just straight TOYOTA TYPE T-IV.

Now in my case I do have a question to the mass: ~100K on automatic transmission, dipstick color still pink/red, TO FLUSH or Drain/FILL, by dealer?? That is the question.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

If a trans gives issues after the fluid is changed you have to think it must have been on its way out already, the old fluid would have been so knackered it would have been cushioning the issue. If you don't want to shock it then you can just dump the fluid in the pan, top back up and let it mix for a while, and repeat over a period of time. The fluid really only provides hydraulic pressure to solenoids to hold them in place, and provides the drive via friction or fluids viscosity between the fins in the torque converter, if the fluid was stuffed it wouldn't have been giving very efficient drive to the rest of the trans, so the trans wasnt going to last anyway. Of course non of that makes it any less painful to the wallet

Colour on the dipstick is too subjective, i changed the fluid on one of my cars a few year ago even though on the dipstick it looked nice and cherry red or so i thought. Decided to change it anyway, below is what the old fluid looked like on the right compared to the new on the left. Obviously not as red as i had thought, it still shifted fine (before and after) but obviously was time to change.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)

I just bought a 180,000 mile Sportcross and was super happy to pull the dipstick and find red fluid on it. I took it to the dealer for a separate issue and had them pull the pan off, reseal it and do a full trans service. Shifts like butter.

On the other hand my mechanical mind was hoping the trans would be trashed so I could swap in a manual

To the OP glad you got it sorted out
I'm not surprised Toyota turned down service. It was always my impression the bargain came from buying parts... Not service. I have to assume it depends on experience however as I find parts/fluids cheaper at the Lexus dealer. My Toyota dealership is 2 miles from my house while the Lexus dealer is 15 miles away so it's also kind of a tradeoff. When I need something I usually call both places and weigh the travel vs. cost. Must also admit, the Lexus personnel are waaay more friendly and customer oriented. I take that into consideration as well.

I guess at the end of the day, I prefer going to Lexus for parts and service even though Toyota is a stone's throw away.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page