Lexus IS Forum banner

Speedometer, MPG gauge, Odometer not working

23K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  Jstevens35 
#1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post. I hope to be a worthy addition to the My.is forum. So here's the issue. I bought a rebuilt 2002 IS300 two days ago, its definitely a fixer upper but I'm no stranger to working on cars. The previous owner wasn't mechanically inclined and didn't fix a lot of things. One of which is the gauge cluster. My MPG gauge, speedometer and odometer are non functioning. The Tachometer, battery voltage and temp gauge work fine, the fuel gauge is sketchy but I think thats unrelated. The ABS light works at half turn of the key, but its not lighting up as a CEL when car is running, I plugged in my cheap harbor freight OBDII computer and the only code that comes up is for the 02 sensor. Kick panel fuses MPX-B and ECU-IG are in working order. Any ideas?

#3 ·
I try and start off with the easy diagnosis first! Check bulbs, check fuses, check relays, imma subscribe to see the results . As far as the speedo check the trans speed sensor on the trans to see if it's plugged is working, my car came with a aftermarket and it's bounces around 40mph smh but no speedo code I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Still trying to solve this. I've been mostly preoccupied with work and more important things like changing my timing belt and failing valve cover gaskets. I also noticed today my E-Brake light doesn't come on when applying the brake. Also my cruise control works fine despite not having a functioning speedometer, does this make any sense to anyone?

#10 ·
Alrighty ladies and germs, I just pulled and checked every single fuse in my car, both kick panels and the engine bay fuse box. Surprisingly my A/C fuse was missing yet my A/C worked perfectly, go figure. Oddly enough my ABS1 fuse in the engine bay fuse box is missing it's transparent cover, however the fuse is intact. All fuses are accounted for and intact. There is no change with any of my dash symptoms mentioned above. What's next?

#13 ·
Okay, new problem. Whatever I did last night with the fuses now allows the A/C and headlights to stay on with the key out, car locked and all doors closed. Now I'm having to unplug my A/C fans and manually turn my headlights off each time I shut off my vehicle, WTF? All I did was install a new A/C fuse and a Mirror heater fuse, both have been pulled as of now and yet the problem persists.

#18 ·
Yes, the car was wrecked and rebuilt. This problem has only now surfaced since yesterday when I pulled all the fuses one by one to check them. To reiterate, I take the key out and lock the car, and the radiator fans stay on, the AC will stay on, most all of the dash lights, tail lights,head lights and running lights. I lose power to my power outlets, but everything else stays on. There are no aftermarket electronics in the vehicle.

#19 · (Edited)
I dont know much on lexus but that to me sounds like wiring is at fault and not wired correctly somewhere or earth fault could even be the clusters its self at fault.. I had a bunch of lights on my old car turned out that it was wiring loom and come to changing got rid of most the codes and had a few faulty ABS sensors to go with it that need changing and had airbag light too. Only light I now have is ABS sensor remaining to replace when I can be bothered and put in for MOT next month.

MPG gauge, speedometer and odometer are non functioning;.

I would first look to seeing if its getting any power to the the connectors that go into the back of the cluster checking each one if you know how to use an ohms meter and checking for connectivity and you have the right power coming up to the connections. Then seeing if got power coming upto it. If no power then id look at fuse box and seeing if any fuses blow, if none are blown then check all earths. Will take some work finding out if a earth is at fault as had this for me fuel gauge not working then started working but kept going up and down like a yoyo. Bare in mind this was for a French car, but id maybe suspect same kind problem on what you describe is going on. Found a bunch of lose earths one totally rusted to fixed and redone.

If all checks out no brakes in earth, power getting to cluster id go to some scrap yard or barkers and finding a working cluster as this might be at fault. Could be a number or combination of above. Hope some this helps as am still got a lot to learn when comes to Lexus but no doubt ill learn quick enough with the topics on here.

And for odometer not working could also be sensor that records miles. Not sure of the correct name but most cars do have one. Had this problem on mine as wasn't recording mileage on clock replaced and fixed and workes now. Hope you solve ya problems

#20 ·
Im thinking it may be something to do with the ignition switch. When I took my keys out in the rain the wipers also did not shut off, which makes me think maybe the ignition doesnt realize the key has been pulled. I don't think its a wiring issue, because when I disconnect my battery and then reconnect it, everything is off, nothing came back on. So its not an open circut issue, otherwise to my knowledge everything would've come back on the second I connected the battery.

#24 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED :D. It would appear I had mistakenly removed the Front defroster fuse instead of the new A/C fuse I installed. After removing the A/C fuse the car is completely back to normal. Everything shuts off when its supposed to and my car's A/C is in perfect working condition despite not having an A/C. The previous owner must have screwed with the wiring, however I don't care, everything works now except the dash, so we're back to solving that now lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.