smashed rear window!!!!! - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2001, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
.NET Dunce

TicaLis300 is dangerously close to banishmentTicaLis300 is dangerously close to banishmentTicaLis300 is dangerously close to banishment
i dropped my car off at hoffman lexus for some servicing... new radio.. fix some scratches... etc..etc.. they had my car overnight due to some circumstances... well, sometime during the night... somebody smashed in my rear drivers side window.. and stole my brand new helmet... i've had it for a while now..but haven't had a chance to use it.. well..its gone now.. and i have accumalated lots of scratches to the rear seats (due to the small glass pieces every where) and some minor scratches on the door... looking over 1000 to fix everything..

anyways... is lexus liable for the damages?? i've heard mixed responses...
TicaLis300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2001, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Follower

mystic is an unknown at this point
IMO, I think the dealer should replace your shattered rear window. Because, they park your car at their lot, and they should provide somekind of security (cameras, guards, etc).
mystic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-26-2001, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lurker

jiggs is an unknown at this point
they would have to have insurance for this type of thing...incase it happened to a car on their lot. They are liable becasue the car was in their possession. If they were to wreck your car on a road test, they'd be paying for that...I'd press Lexus on the matter and if that doesn't work out call your insurance man and claim this under your comprehensive coverage.
jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-26-2001, 05:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Follower

sacremon is an unknown at this point
The real answer lies in reading the small print on that form you sign when you are in the service rep.'s office. Even then, they're likely to cover it just so that they keep your business. They probably won't cover the helmet, but they should cover the damage to the car.
sacremon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-26-2001, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiast

habibnazir is an unknown at this point
that blows...helmet for what a motorcycle? sorry to hear that. my mom's rx300 had a huge dent on the fender when we bought it. we bought at night in a snow storm so we didn't realize it. it was a friday and we saw it late sat. we didn't get to talk to them till monday. they tried to say it was our fault but thats a typical response from a dealer. well the guy was cool and covered it for us. cost 500 bucsk. didn't fork a single dime out...good luck with your situation
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-26-2001, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Anti-Matter

2005 ToyDrive Participant
s0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community member
That's random, dirving around with your Auto-x helmet... I'm not saying that the person had any right whatsoever to break in/steal you helmet, but if you present an oportunity, you're asking for it. I learned that lesson too a while back with a radar detector.
s0yb0mb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-26-2001, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bruce is an unknown at this point
The dealer will most likely point to a sign or the form you signed dropping off the car saying they are not responsible for damage for cars left on their lot. I have yet to leave a car at a dealership that didn't have this "warning". The dealership will probably tell you that you need to file a claim under the comprehensive part of your insurance. Sorry the news isn't any better.

Somebody else posted something about the dealer responsible for cars when the mechanics drive the cars checking for the problem or that the fix was successful- in that case they are usually responsible.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and in no way is this advice construed to be legal advice- for that go see a lawyer.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-26-2001, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
.NET Dunce

TicaLis300 is dangerously close to banishmentTicaLis300 is dangerously close to banishmentTicaLis300 is dangerously close to banishment
a friend of mine talked to a lawyer..and they said its called abatement or something like that... and that they should cover everything.. including the helmet.. after speaking with lexus..they are going to cover the window and any damage done to the car..except for the helmet... i dont want to burn any bridges.. yet legal advice is telling me to make them pay for it all... what to do...what to do....

also..the helmet wasn't in plain view... it was incased in the bag that came with it... and was on the floor behind the drivers side seat.. the bag was a dark blue.. and at night... hardly visible....

anyways.. thanks for everyones input...
Old 07-26-2001, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addict

ZID IS300 is on the road to fameZID IS300 is on the road to fameZID IS300 is on the road to fameZID IS300 is on the road to fameZID IS300 is on the road to fameZID IS300 is on the road to fame
"also the helmet wasn't in plain view... it was incased in the bag it came with... and it was on the floor behind the drivers side seat... the bag was dark blue... and at night... hardly visible"

Hmmmmm sounds like an inside job!! Probably one of the POS dumbass shop hands that bring your car out when its ready after service. Braking the window was probably their cover to make it look randam. Good luck!!

Mike
ZID IS300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-27-2001, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Anti-Matter

2005 ToyDrive Participant
s0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community members0yb0mb is an elite community member
Quote:

Hmmmmm sounds like an inside job
Mike
I'm with you 100%...
s0yb0mb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-28-2001, 04:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Frequenter

pure azn is an unknown at this point
how much is the helmet anyways
pure azn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-28-2001, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
.NET Dunce

it was about $350... OMP italia design for sedan racing..(full helmet with open face)
Old 07-28-2001, 08:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Frequenter

pure azn is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by TicaLis300:
it was about $350... OMP italia design for sedan racing..(full helmet with open face)
wtf 350$ for a helmet!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!??!!?!?

is that the average price for a helmet?
pure azn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-28-2001, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Guru

BigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community memberBigDaddyRich is an elite community member
Dan I smell a rat.... I also think it was an inside job. did they take anything else out of ur car? If not maybe someone working there saw it and decided to grab it before the dealership closed? but as usual, proof is on the burden of the victim. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
BigDaddyRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-28-2001, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
.NET Dunce

who knows... but anyways..rich...u comin out tonight??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)