Lexus IS Forum banner

Price to swap rear differential???

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  IM QUIKR 
#1 ·
So I need to get my rear diff swapped out with one that isn't leaking and whining and would like to hear if anyone has any experience with having the work done by a local or chain-type shop.

What were the costs to do the work?

What, if any, were the issues or problems encountered when doing this job?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If you are swapping in an entire pumpkin with another that has the half shafts it's pretty simple.

4 bolts mounting the pumpkin to car
4 bolts for the drive shaft
12 bolts (maybe more) for the axles to half shafts

Some of the bolts are Allen key type. Three are pretty large and the others on the axles are like 8mm or something.

The only thing I'd worry about for a diy or with shop is seized bolts. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward. And shouldn't be more than two hours of labor. $200??? At 100$ an hour.

If you had a jack and stands you can easily DIY.
an extra set of hands would help but not needed.

I was able to swap in garage in about 2 hours going slowly by myself.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I had a friend of mine try to pull the old one out and the capscrews are pretty well seized on there. Took an impact to them and a blow torch and they wouldn't budge. Pretty sure any shop will try the same. Which leads me to my next question as to where to order up some new bolts?

I tried finding them on the Sewell parts site, but wasn't able to spot them on the diagram. I also checked lexusofsouthatlanta.com, but they use the same parts diagram.

So needless to say this won't be a diy for me and will have to get it done elsewhere. Also, good to hear this shouldn't cost too much...or will it? lol

#4 ·
Reports in other threads say to use a cutting disk and cut a slot all the way down to the base of the hex cap. That relieves the load on the threads and the bolts will come out with a screwdriver or fingers. Try Park place Lexus in TX. They may have the the hex cap bolts. I'm in the process of trying this for myself for the second time. I bought an LSD 4 years ago but couldnt get the axle bolts off. Sold the LSD for a profit. I found another one for $230 and I still have the bolts from the last try. The bolts were like $2 each but I have 12 brand new bolts waiting for a home. This time I will get this thing in if it kills me. Lexus wanted $500+ to swap pumpkins. Are they insane?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.