1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ek9B18

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Need some opinions on a potential purchase

I am currently looking for a Lexus IS300 5 speen manual in good condition. However 2005 Lexus IS300 is available near me and it has only 30,984 miles on it. The problem is it's a automatic. Should I buy this car because it's in really good condition and do a manual swap later on, or should I just wait for a manual one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario8 View Post
I am currently looking for a Lexus IS300 5 speen manual in good condition. However 2005 Lexus IS300 is available near me and it has only 30,984 miles on it. The problem is it's a automatic. Should I buy this car because it's in really good condition and do a manual swap later on, or should I just wait for a manual one?
Are you by chance near Chicago Area? Thought I saw a similar post on CL for a silver one, AT, owned by a former Lexus Service guy

Just for reference, I bought my '04 Sport Design with 100K for 10G from a Lexus Dealer. It was certified used - not sure how much of a difference it made.

Guy in CHI is asking 15,500.00 I suppose it depends on how much you love the car and what your future plans are.

I would wait if youre really thinking about swapping the tranny.
Otherwise buy it and boost it. It would still be a blast to drive.

<3 IS LUV <3
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

if this is not the one you're speaking of, curious to know how much he's asking.

They guy here is asking 15,500. TBH (while I absolutly adore my IS - been my dream car since I was 16) for the 15Gs hes asking I would go shop and see what that amount would buy me elsewhere.

A used Infiniti G37 Coupe would be in that range - just to name one worth exploring. Again, 15G can buy a lot of car.

<3 IS LUV <3

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Honestly, if the price is right (these cars are worth pennies), I'd jump on it. 30k miles? That's unheard of for a 12 year old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:21 PM

So for reference. I bought my 02 5speed with lsd and a TON of suspension mods for less than 11k. Only had 54k miles. But it's all in what the car is worth to you. 30k miles is amazing
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

The 2005 Lexus Is300 with 30k miles is being sold for $12,556. And its from a Lexus dealership in MA. 1 owner and service records indicate he took the car for all it's maintenance to the same Lexus dealership. I haven't made up my mind in buying this car yet because there is another is300 5 speed manual for $11,999 in California that looks to be in good condition. However the is300 in cali has 100,000 miles on it. I'm from Rhode Island as well so I would have to pay for the shipping cost if i wanted that car.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=168943625

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=169673889

these are the two cars I'm talking about.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:57 AM

I can't lie, 30k is like a unicorn on a manual IS300 nowadays, that price is reflective of that for sure, it looks super clean , definite diamond in the rough, id b interested in seeing what mods u would do with such a unicorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackface View Post
I can't lie, 30k is like a unicorn on a manual IS300 nowadays, that price is reflective of that for sure, it looks super clean , definite diamond in the rough, id b interested in seeing what mods u would do with such a unicorn

The 30k one is an automatic, and That's his dilemma. If you are stuck in getting a manual, it would be better to find just a manual is300. If you can settle for an auto then that mileage is golden.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was able to pickup an 02, 5mt, with an LSD - for $4800. Granted it has 178,000 miles, and 3 previous owners. No clear coat peeling, and just needs typical maintenance done to refresh the car.

You may be better of waiting for the right deal to surface, even if the car has 30,000 miles on it - you still have to do the timing belt anyway, and other wear items. It's still a 12 year old car.

Why spend double the price? There are plenty of 5mt on the east coast. Many of the locations you could probably get to via Amtrak.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)

Quote:
It's going to cost you thousands to do the manual swap. You'll have to swap ECU's too. If you want manual, buy a manual. Honestly though, if you drive in traffic, the automatic is better. It's more reliable than the manual too.

Quote:
It's still 12 years old. For that kinda money you can buy a real sports car.
FRaCTioNaL likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
But..but..but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
It's going to cost you thousands to do the manual swap. You'll have to swap ECU's too. If you want manual, buy a manual. Honestly though, if you drive in traffic, the automatic is better. It's more reliable than the manual too.

Hahahahahahaha this is so true

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page