mixing Toyota red coolant with long life PEAK: a no no? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
mixing Toyota red coolant with long life PEAK: a no no?

Okay so I got mixed answers with this simple question. Have an 02 with 50k and has red coolant in it from when I changed it at 35k. I recently bought PEAK extended long life green coolant which states safe for all makes and models...to just top off. When I asked the dealer they said it would be ok to top off with this green coolant and is compatible with Toyota red.....as it does contain ethylene glycol and no silicates. But then I hear only use red with red and mixing is bad as it causes plaque internally. Since I only used maybe only 20 oz of this to top off....did I make a mistake and is the dealer wrong. Meaning....should I drain and refill or is that unnecessary??? Input appreciated fellows....
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
TB_
Lurker

TB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community memberTB_ is an elite community member
If you're in a pinch, sure, it'll work. Personally, I'd use the proper fluid, long term. Why didn't you buy the red for top offs?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
jasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community memberjasonm4 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_ View Post
If you're in a pinch, sure, it'll work. Personally, I'd use the proper fluid, long term. Why didn't you buy the red for top offs?
well...im not real close to a dealer and my resovior tank was empty. after asking the dealer parts guy he said sure...green PEAK...thats fine and compatible. not a good excuse for me...i realize this....but wanted to see what your take was on this fellows. i wasnt going to drain/replace for another 20k or so.....and not 100% sure the real compatabilty....other than what i have heard or seen and want to make sure so i dont damage the coolant system. if i made a stupid mistake by not keeping the fluid the same...then i will change it all out.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Geezer

my.IS Supporter 2006 ToyDrive Participant Poker Tournament Player
bartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community member
If you're concerned, change it out. Personally I only top off with the Toyota fluid.
bartkat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartkat View Post
If you're concerned, change it out. Personally I only top off with the Toyota fluid.
might just be the way to go...i guess....just wanted to see what fellow is'ers thought....and if they have ever had any issues doing this. thanks for the input thus far. when something says compatable with all makes and models...that kinda makes me weary...especially with a higher performance vehicle. Lexus told me any ethylene glycol coolant should be compatable no matter the color. oh well...figured id ask

Last edited by jasonm4; 07-04-2010 at 09:34 PM.
jasonm4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Frequenter

Rapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community memberRapture Cabaret is an elite community member
Whoa whoa hold on just a second. The bigger problem here is that your coolant reservoir was completely empty, and you changed it 15K ago. It's somewhat common to "top off" the coolant, but that doesn't refer to filling the entire reservoir. It sounds like you may have a leak, and I'd worry more about where the coolant is going before I worried about which type was compatible.

Can I Scream?
Rapture Cabaret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Geezer

bartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community memberbartkat is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
might just be the way to go...i guess....just wanted to see what fellow is'ers thought....and if they have ever had any issues doing this. thanks for the input thus far. when something says compatable with all makes and models...that kinda makes me weary...especially with a higher performance vehicle. Lexus told me any ethylene glycol coolant should be compatable no matter the color. oh well...figured id ask
I just always try to play it on the safe side. There's more to coolant than EG, that's been used for years. Additives also lubricate the water pump etc.

As for it being low, did you make sure you circulated and filled the entire system including the heater core when you changed it?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture Cabaret View Post
Whoa whoa hold on just a second. The bigger problem here is that your coolant reservoir was completely empty, and you changed it 15K ago. It's somewhat common to "top off" the coolant, but that doesn't refer to filling the entire reservoir. It sounds like you may have a leak, and I'd worry more about where the coolant is going before I worried about which type was compatible.
Good point. Looking back 4 years ago when I did the drain....I don't remember touching the reservoir tank....so I believe if it was low...then it stayed low until now. I can't remember...but if I neglected to do so.....I must have just forgot.not sure. Anyway... I defiantly will monitor the level here on out to be sure. As for changing it all out b/c I added 1/4 gal of green PEAK....I'm not sure.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Geezer

New Antifreeze [Archive] - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Thanks for that link....think I'm going to do a rad drain/refill to play it safe with Toyota brand. I only used 1/3 gallon of 50/50 PEAK....so hopefully that should be good and get rid of most of it....meaning I don't plan on draining the engine block. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Under House Arrest

mikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community membermikefate is an elite community member
i also use redline water wetter when i replace my coolant. and i always use the toyota red fluid. works great.
mikefate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Immortal

my.IS Supporter
Okay....its confirmed. PEAK LONG LIFE 50/50 GREEN coolant is ok to use with factory red. After taking the trip to get the red Toyota stuff....I compared the ingredients. The only difference is that the red contains organic acid salt and hydrated inorganic salt. The PEAK stuff is all the same but NO salt additives EXCEPT ingredient NJTSRN QT1 which is an inorganic acid...which I found was put in to deter animals. Trust me....even the substance numbers are the same. I even read that this particular Peak has no phosphates or silicates. They pretty much do away from those ingredients with this brand nowadays...as I've read. So the Lex tech is right....as long as you don't mind a red-brownish color....you are ok with this brand. And yes....I did spend the $28 for Toyota coolant....which is crazy....but hey...you are paying for the added salts. Me personally, I drained the rad, the engine block, and put new RED in. Just wanted to let everyone know after extensive looking into PEAK LONG LIFE GREEN coolant/antifreeze IS compatable and end all debates. Don't know about prestone etc.....

Last edited by jasonm4; 07-05-2010 at 09:14 PM.
jasonm4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)