Just waxed your car, then it rains... What next? - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2001, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fiend

Nelly is an unknown at this point
Well I'm sure many of you rarely experience this, but in Washington, it'll be sunny one day, than pour down hard the next, and our weather can be just a pain in the a$$ sometimes... Anyway, you just got done washing car your car, and followed by a long hard wax, your car is just as clean and shiny as can be! But it rains the next day... My friend tells me since your car is waxed, after it rains, you can just rinse your car with a hose and dry it, and it'll be shiny and clean again... Since the layer of wax is like a coating of protection from dirt and water spots and stuff... So I'm wondering, is this true? Its a rare day of sunny weather in the winter, so I'm thinking about waxing my ride, but is it worth it? ANy of you guys wax your IS's in the winter? Thanks in advance
Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2001, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

mais300 is an unknown at this point
Yes, that's true. If you use good wax product. The one that I prefer is Zymol clean/wax. The auto part stores are selling them $13/bottle. You can get 2 of them @ Costco for $14.99. Out of all the product I have used, Zymol is the best.
mais300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-03-2001, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fiend

rseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community memberrseifer is an elite community member
Nelly--I drove a gorgeous Taurus SHO (silver)
until last November when I traded it in on
an IS300 (also silver).

I lived in Aberdeen, Washington most of 1998,
and it rained 100 inches there that year.

I still washed the Ford myself, and kept a
good coat of wax on it. I didn't too much
mind the rain on the car, as compared to here
in Los Angeles where the rain is about equal
mixtures of water and sulphuric acid.

Keep the car looking nice, and enjoy it.
(One caveat, however: I always wipe off the
horizontal surfaces after I put the car in
the garage. I have a belief (unsubstantiated) that some of the acid in
the rainwater will etch the clear coat if
you let it stand on the surface, so I dry
off the flat surfaces, even if I'm going to
take the car out again later. I know--
pain in the ass--but if you like the car,
take good care of it. And if you're ever headed over to Aberdeen, don't forget the
GoreTex.
rseifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-04-2001, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Enthusiast

cardinal_creek is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelly:
My friend tells me since your car is waxed, after it rains, you can just rinse your car with a hose and dry it, and it'll be shiny and clean again... Since the layer of wax is like a coating of protection from dirt and water spots and stuff... So I'm wondering, is this true?
Dude, I wouldn't try this shortcut. It's akin to drying your car with sandpaper because rinsing your car does not get rid of all the particles of dirt. Car wash soap is formulated to attach itself to the dirt particles which then get wisked away when you rinse the car.

cardinal_creek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-04-2001, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Danny's 3.2TL is an unknown at this point
My dad tried something similar. He wet the car, then used a sponge while rinsing the car to wipe. He was too lazy to get some soap, and it ended up giving the car swirl marks up the ass, even though I had zaino-ed the car not long ago.
Danny's 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-04-2001, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fiend

Nelly is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Dude, I wouldn't try this shortcut. It's akin to drying your car with sandpaper because rinsing your car does not get rid of all the particles of dirt. Car wash soap is formulated to attach itself to the dirt particles which then get wisked away when you rinse the car.

So basically, for the Winter time anyway, its better to just wash your car daily then to give it a wash and wax and just leave it be? I know waxing helps out a lot but it really is a long slow hard process for me... I guess I'll just stick to washing it and wait till Spring... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-04-2001, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

mais300 is an unknown at this point
IT only took me 45 min to wax the hood, trunk and top. Since These area are very vunerable to the sun. I used Zymol wax. It's the best in the market I think
mais300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-04-2001, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fiend

Hunt NXS is an unknown at this point
Whats next? Birds usually **** on my car after I wash & wax it!
Hunt NXS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-05-2001, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Deity

SeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community memberSeattleSheila is an elite community member
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Must have been this weekend. I barely got done washing it and got a few hours of parading around before the rain hit. It didn't rain enough to do any good for the reservoir situation...just enough to annoy me.

------------------
'01 SBM, Black Leather - LSD - 17" Graphite Wheels - Loaded (minus moon roof)
SeattleSheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-05-2001, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Frequenter

AllFlava! is an unknown at this point
In the same ass boat as you. I washed and waxed my car on saturday thinking I would leave it in the garage for the rest of the week, all was well until my brother took the keys to my commuting Avalon. I was debating at 6:10 this morning if I should take the day off because of the rainsnowdirtslushsalt forecast. But as the diligent eployee I am, I took my car to work in the paint ruining $hit

------------------
Straight up in my 01'BlueMicaBlack

All Flava
AllFlava! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)