I accidently shifted to PARK while driving 75mph!! - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

KML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community member
I accidently shifted to PARK while driving 75mph!!

I did something horrible to my car tonight! As I was driving on the freeway in Los Angeles, traffic opened up suddenly and I decided to mess around with my IS350 by pushing it. I switched over to the shifters and started downshifting to 3rd from 6th to launch the car. At the time, I was driving around 75. Immediately I redlined, going to 80 and decided to switch over to automatic to let the car shift itself. But then as I shifted over to the right, I guess the angle of my hand and the force of the shift, I accidently shifted the handle all the way to PARK!!! I didnt even know this was possible. My RPM immediately went down slowly and so did my speed! I was so frantic that it took me 4-5 seconds to really know how to fix it. I stepped on the brakes and then shifted back down to drive. What did I do to my baby?!! Did I mess up anything? The transmission maybe?? Please help. What should I do? Has this ever happened to anybody before?! Why would Lexus even allow you to be able to shift to PARK while driving. That has to be damaging to your car. Please comment. Thank you in advance!
KML505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Patriot

Nicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community member
Thats really odd that it even let you do that?? I hope its ok buddy
XL1200N (1200cc)
Nicademus323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Frequenter

2006 ToyDrive Participant
A17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community member
i doubt the transmission physically shifted into park, that thing would explode! hah im pretty sure there is some kind of bypass in the system.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

KML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community memberKML505 is an elite community member
I did get home safe...but I am worry the car did not. I'm sure there's some kind of protection for this type of accident but why would a car company allow somebody to even do this by accident. WHat happens if you are cruising and you are resting your hand on the shift know and suddenly had to break really hard. Wouldnt the sudden jerk be enough force to make you accidenly shift the car into PARK by accident. I mean it isn't hard to do at all. How can you even skip Reverse and jump all the way to Park. This must have killed my tranny and/or gear box if anything. I am hoping this will not come back to haunt me in a few years when I hit 75,000+ miles! Man this blows!
KML505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Patriot

Nicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community memberNicademus323 is an elite community member
Naw, I think its fine. It sound like its fine. If it had actually went into park it wouldn't have made it home. I think your fine, just buy your car a present to make up for it. Maybe wheels or and exhaust or something
XL1200N (1200cc)
Old 07-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
My.is Captain Kangaroo

my.IS Supporter Roundtable Panelist
Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member
It disengages everything. As someone previousley said it did not physically shift into park. It would infact blow and you would know if it was fucked up. Once I was driving and my girlfriend at the time put my car in park! I heard a weird noise and the car dumped and stoped. But it in drive and was cool. She bought me a radar detector because I bitched her out for doing it.

Your car will be fine. Just tell her your sorry you made a mistake.
'13 Subaru BRZ Limited 6 Spd.

"I don't always drive cars, but when I do. I prefer the IS300. Stay in third gear my friends."
-JDOG- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Blue Devil

my.IS Supporter
LO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community memberLO 21 is an elite community member
yea man. definitely what these guys said. DONT lose sleep over it. YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN. you woulda heard what probably woulda been a LOUD ASS bang of a sound, and you definitely wouldn't have been able to make it home, let alone another 10 feet.

like they said, make it up to her and buy her something nice..

IS F '12 - Ultrasonic Blue Mica | ISS Forged Exhaust | WALD Diffuser | Ventross Trunk | Lexon Roof Spoiler |
LO 21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fiend

BOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community memberBOOST KREEPS is an elite community member
everything is cool, u would have heard the gears grinding hard..

Current 2001 Diamond White Pearl iS300
BOOST KREEPS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 03:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Frequenter

wlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community memberwlk20 is an elite community member
If you don't hear the gears grind, you're fine. My dad is an "impatient" driver & always shifts from D to P before the car comes to a complete stop & believe me it's loud when that happens. He continues to do it with his own RX & my IS despite my repeated caution
wlk20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlk20 View Post
If you don't hear the gears grind, you're fine. My dad is an "impatient" driver & always shifts from D to P before the car comes to a complete stop & believe me it's loud when that happens. He continues to do it with his own RX & my IS despite my repeated caution
Wow, he sounds like a real tard.....no offense
XL1200N (1200cc)
Old 07-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Follower

no-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community memberno-more is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlk20 View Post
Even if you hear gears grinding, it's not the end of the world. It's when you no longer can feel the tiny vibration from underneath (where the tranny is).

VVTI 2JZGTE - found
W58/R154
spare headlight LENSES (the lenses need to be in good or excellent condition, I'm looking to swap these into mine and do a retrofit)
no-more is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Guru

twin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community membertwin is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KML505 View Post
I'm sure there's some kind of protection for this type of accident but why would a car company allow somebody to even do this by accident.

Enough with the paranoia, they've already compensated for brainless errors long before you were old enough to drive.
twin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Frequenter

samson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community membersamson_420 is an elite community member
I got one for you, I shifted my IS into reverse while cruising at about 65. It did nothing, like I shifted into neutral.

It just deactivates the other gears while you are at that kind of speed from what I understand.
samson_420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

lookuphere is an unknown at this point
yeah, I've done the same thing in an older Lexus and nothing happened. rest assured
lookuphere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Extremist

cdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community member
The most that would happen it that you'd break the little cam that locks the car when parked. Put the car in park and see if it holds it. If it does, you're fine!
cdeslandes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)