Lexus IS Forum banner

How much more is the going rate for a manual over auto for the same car?

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Hanzi 
#1 ·
I have a 5 speed 2004 with 86k miles. Well maintained, no accidents. I'm seeing lots of auto transmissions going for 9-10k, but not enough manuals to get idea of how much my car is worth. Any experience from recent buyers/shoppers?

#2 ·
I got mine 5-speed a few months ago with 70K, runs perfect, GPS, Leather, new tires, etc. In other words perfect condition and with all the options minus the missing First Aid kit for 11.5K, it really depends on the condition and area that your in. Oh yeah forgot to mention that it was a few months of searching something like a year before I found a Manual IS300. All my cars are manual starting from my first car the 1989 Supra Turbo ~375 hp oh I miss that car to my current IS300. Minus one which is the cruiser (Celica Vert).

#9 ·
Don't alienate those that don't see it as a hassle. If you include in the offer to _buy_ new tires/include a stipend, if someone doesn't want that, just say in the ad you will have new tires installed before you make the deal. I think it's better to keep your options open, especially with the situation here (Manual IS in good condition and decent milage is not easy to find...).

GL w/ sale! Just for reference, I purchased my '03 MT w/ LSD for $5.8k w/ new front tires and a rebuilt head (due to overheating...), 135k miles. Turns out it was in a minor fender bender (not on record) as well. The body is in decent shape, but I planned to take care of that and paint it anyway so those were non-issues.

#11 ·
I bought my 2004 IS300 silver 5 speed for 14k in Las Vegas. I bought it with 88k miles on it, mint as can be. Surprisingly I actually bought it from a carmax dealership. Some may argue that I spent alot but having piece of mind of warranty and having the car inspected thoroughly is why I spent 14k. Then again, I had no credit what so ever so this is my way to build credit. No problems at all. Recently got timing belt, water pump, cam seals done for $700. I'm ready for this car to last 200k+ miles lol.

#12 ·
Carmax is a good place and the prices are as fair as can be from a dealer. Did you remove the carmax sticker already? I have friends that have gotten cars from there and that sticker comes off the moment the car leaves the lot.

#18 ·
Same here! GGP 5spd LSD clean title with 160k for $5k. I'll be picking it up either today or tomorrow. Outside is pretty beat up, but it's mechanically sound. It's been well-serviced and running strong. I'll just have to spray/detail the areas where it's fading.

Can't wait to join the IS family!

#14 ·
It's all about finding the right buyer -- I bought my 5spd from a middle aged lady that didn't know the rare car that she had. But I'm sure there are buyers out there that would be willing to pay a little extra considering how hard they are to find.

#16 ·
I picked up an 03 Sport Design in great condition with 88k miles, 5 speed, full leather interior, and an LSD last September for $12k, they had it listed at $13. Most of the similar mileage cars with an auto in the area were closer to $10. I also looked at a super clean 04 with 90k miles and full leather at Car Max, they were asking $15k.

#17 ·
Here is what I have paid for my 3 IS's

In 2007 I paid $16.500 for my 03 GGP auto w/54k
In 2010 I paid $9,300 for my MSM 5spd with Axis wheels, flywheel, clutch and 95k
In 2014 I paid $5,800 for my 02 GGP auto w/130k

It really depends on where you live. I live in Eugene, OR so that car from here to Seattle would get you up to $12,000. In Cali that's a $9,000 car all day. Hence the reason why I have flown to LA for my last two IS300's. Personally I wouldn't pay more than 9K for that car but that's because I can find another just like it for the same or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.