How many miles on your IS300? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How many miles on your IS300?

I just picked up a 2002 5spd manual with 104,000 on it. One of the main reasons I went this direction was the expectation that I would get at least 300,000 miles out of it. I had an 89 mr2 years ago and I beat that car like it owed me money for 330,000 trouble free miles! I maintained it meticulously but drove it hard all of the time. That little car was something special but with similar maintenance I expect to do at least as well with my IS.

So how many miles do you have on yours? What have you replaced or repaired? Lets find out who has the highest mileage IS here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 80 Post(s)

I deff have one of the lowest, 60k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 AM

I just bought an 06 IS250 auto with 302,000kms which is almost 190,000 miles. Runs like a dream, been on a freeway its whole life. Serviced at Lexus first half of its life with a female owner, then owned by an Indian fellow whos brother owned a Mechanic workshop. There is a small knock from the rear tho..

Any body know if its the Diff itself or bushes/mounts? Toyota dont have the best Diff history!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Lurker

If it is your differential bushings, these could help.

IS GS LS SC SUPRA REAR DIFFERENTIAL MOUNT POLYURETHANE BUSHINGS

I've got 313,000 miles on my '04 5 Speed and it's still going strong. As long as you keep up with spark plugs, timing belt, and all the seals when you do the timing belt, this car can go forever. The VVTi started leaking oil last month but a quick reseal did the trick.

04 IS300 GGP|5-Spd
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

130k . Still a virgin haha
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

E92FF I hear you about the Toyota 4AGE motor. I had a 1991 Prizm GSI with the smallport 4AGE as a daily for years. Drove the piss out of that thing. Those motors love to rev. Ended up selling it because I bought a 2002 SportX. I miss that Prizm everyday Don't get me wrong I love the SportX. I do feel the 2JZ-GE is a great motor - just much more exotic in it's needs than that old redtop 4AGE.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsha View Post
E92FF I hear you about the Toyota 4AGE motor. I had a 1991 Prizm GSI with the smallport 4AGE as a daily for years. Drove the piss out of that thing. Those motors love to rev. Ended up selling it because I bought a 2002 SportX. I miss that Prizm everyday Don't get me wrong I love the SportX. I do feel the 2JZ-GE is a great motor - just much more exotic in it's needs than that old redtop 4AGE.
There are no exotic needs for a 2JZ.
Mine has 290K miles and purrs like a puma.
Only maintenance besides synthetic oil changes was 2 timing belts w/water pump and spark plugs.
4AGE is a nice motor, but it has nothing on the 2JZ.
My 3S-GTE has had a few more needs, but nothing exotic. It's also been very reliable and cost-efficient.

'85 Kawasaki Eliminator 900
'90 Toyota Celica All-trac Turbo
'02 IS300, Red, 5spd
'07 Yamaha FZ1
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Well you are one of the lucky ones. They are known to need cats at about 180,000 miles and usually all the 02 sensors by then. Let alone the valve cover gaskets - and numerous oil seals as they age. They also show their age if you beat on them. They also are interference motors because of VVT so do not forget to change the timing belt. The 4AGE is not you could probaly carry an extra belt in the trunk and change it on the side of the road with some basic tools when the old one broke - then be on your way. The is300 is quite bloated with weight as well. The 4AGE feels pretty quick in the light cars is was put into. I would love to get an is300 and strip all of the excess weight then you would have a quick car. Don't get me wrong they are great motors, but if you got by that many miles with nothing more than you mentioned - you are indeed lucky!

Last edited by Kinsha; 02-16-2017 at 03:29 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM
Follower

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

I bought my 2001 IS300 with 96,000 miles. It needed a timing belt so the PO dropped the price 1500. I paid $9,000 back in 2008. Super clean car with no accidents. I now have 190,000 miles and just put in my 2nd timing belt, rebuilt the vvti cam, new cam,crank seals. Changed the plugs and valve cover gaskets at 150,000 miles. Just for my peace of mind, I replaced the fuel pump which seems to fail at this mileage. If you drove it, you would think it was a new car. Its still tight, smooth and purrs. I highly recommend changing the LCA#2 with figs bushings if you like your tires. The oem rubber bushings soften, fail and cause outer tire wear.

This is my commuter car and I drive 75 miles each way to work now. This is the Best car ever. My only worry is having an accident.

BTW I still get 23-24 mpg driving highways at 75 mph.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Follower

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade.wilde View Post
I just bought an 06 IS250 auto with 302,000kms which is almost 190,000 miles. Runs like a dream, been on a freeway its whole life. Serviced at Lexus first half of its life with a female owner, then owned by an Indian fellow whos brother owned a Mechanic workshop. There is a small knock from the rear tho..

Any body know if its the Diff itself or bushes/mounts? Toyota dont have the best Diff history!
I would look at the struts, axle half shaft cv jts, and wheel bearings. My oem struts were shot at 150,000 miles. They had no gas left in them. I upgraded to Bilstein and love them. Lifetime warranty to boot. I plan to run this car until the fat lady sings.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM QUIKR View Post
I highly recommend changing the LCA#2 with figs bushings if you like your tires. The oem rubber bushings soften, fail and cause outer tire wear.
I need to do something along these lines. When its wet I have to drive it very gently or I get wheel hop. Especially coming out of corners.

When you did this did it change the ride or road noise level at all? I do about 100 miles a day on the freeway.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 PM

145,000 On my 2002 baby, and aiming for another 150k with lots of TLC!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
Guru

Quoted: 146 Post(s)

Garage
110,000mi ≤ x ≤ 111,000mi

My thread of picture whor@ge: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Garage
5sp and it gets driven each day. 500 miles a week. driven hard. did waterpump/timing belt at 180k. sparkplugs/injectors/coilpacks at 218k

2003 MSM 5MT LSD | te37 | trd neo v1 | injen intake | hks kansai service |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page