1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

ECU/Immobilizer Help for 1JZ Swap..

Got a quick question/questions regarding ECU use..
I am trying to run the ECU from my swap without the use of the factory 2jz ecu, and no I don't have obd2 inspection issues here.. all I want is for my engine to start when I put in the key..

2001 IS300 with 1jz vvti swap, using the 1jz ecu.. and the 1jz engine harness.. I've been talking to several people and basically came to the conclusion that the car wont start if the immobilizer of my factory 2jz ecu isn't somehow swapped over to my 1jz ecu.. I have had no luck locating a shop in the US that could do this swap for me.. the swap looks to be just one "socket" that is there on the 2jz ecu but not on the 1jz ecu (there is however a metal plate covering that part of the ecu where the socket suppose to be on the 1jz ecu)

my question or questions are.. has anyone been able to run their 2001 IS off the swapped engine ecu? has anyone swapped over the immobilizer of their ecu over to another ecu, and if so.. point me in the direction of a shop that does it? and does anyone know another solution to this? (other than running both ecu's parallel to each other or running a standalone)

thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BUGU09.jpg
Views:	1863
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	94817  

Black Onyx '01 IS300 | 1JZ-GTE VVTi x JZS171 | LSD | Running 100% off the 1JZ ECU | CX Racing Coilovers | FutureFab DP to Custom 3" Straight Pipe to Yonaka Exhaust | Custom Intake x K&N Filter | 2.5" Piping x FMIC | Walbro 255 | Pioneer/JL Audio | OEM Altezza Interior

Next: Wheels or Manual Swap

#JZMob | Check Us Out @ www.Facebook.com/JZMobAruba

Last edited by TNCMAviator; 04-03-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)

Quote:
I've been talking to several people and basically came to the conclusion that the car wont start if the immobilizer of my factory 2jz ecu isn't somehow swapped over to my 1jz ecu.
Do you have the original keys for the 1JZ? If not, and if it's got an immobilizer (which many Japanese cars didn't get till late), I think you're probably screwed.

The ECU is what controls the immobilizer. All the other bits, the antenna around the key, the amplifier on the steering column are all passive components. On the stock ECU, You need a key that matches the ECU for the immobilizer to allow the car to run.

I don't know what you can do with the toyota diagnostic tools. That's basically all that's left I think, trying to use the toyota tools to re-program a new key into the 11JZ ECU. Are you sure the 1JZ actually has an immovilizer? Will the 1JZ ECU drive the IS300 guage cluster?

I'm running a 1UZ ECU on my IS300. To make it work I just had to swap the GS400 key transponder into my IS300 key shell.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
Do you have the original keys for the 1JZ? If not, and if it's got an immobilizer (which many Japanese cars didn't get till late), I think you're probably screwed.
No no, the 1JZ ecu does not have an immobilizer.. and I do not have the original key (for the 1JZ).. what I want to do is run the whole car off the 1JZ ecu.. but it would seem that my key wont be able to start the car since the immobilizer is in my 2jz ecu.. (what I've been told)

Black Onyx '01 IS300 | 1JZ-GTE VVTi x JZS171 | LSD | Running 100% off the 1JZ ECU | CX Racing Coilovers | FutureFab DP to Custom 3" Straight Pipe to Yonaka Exhaust | Custom Intake x K&N Filter | 2.5" Piping x FMIC | Walbro 255 | Pioneer/JL Audio | OEM Altezza Interior

Last edited by TNCMAviator; 04-03-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: TYPO

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Extremist

Quote:
No no, the 1JZ ecu does not have an immobilizer.. and I do not have the original key (for the 1JZ).. what I want to do is run the whole car off the 1JZ ecu.. but it would seem that my key wont be able to start the car since the immobilizer is in my 2jz ecu.. (what I've been told)
Whoever told you that doesn't know what he's talking about.

1 - If the ECU doesn't have an Immobilizer then any key that fits the ignition will start the car. So, if the 1JZ has no immobilizer, you simply don't have to worry about it.

The 2JZ ECU talks to the key and decides whether to allow the engine to start or not. If the 1JZ ECU doesn't have a built in immobilizer then the decision never needs to even be made. It'll just work.

2 - I'm skeptical that the 1JZ ECU will run your gauge cluster and/or the body computers so, if I was doing what you're planning on doing. I'd probably run the engine off the 1JZ ECU and in parallel figure some way to run the OEM ECU to run the cluster. You'd have to research this. The IS300 (and my GS400 drivetrain) use a ring bus called the "MX Bus" to talk to the gauge cluster. The GS400 speaks the correct language. Only the water temp gauge doesn't work.

Your best bet for making this work would probably be to find a VVTI 1JZ between 98 and 200X. I'm not an expert at 1JZ swaps. I just know how the immobilizer works and how the 2JZ ECU talks to the cluster (because I had to rewire my IS300 for the V8 swap).
White2003Lexus likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)

I agree with what ek9b18 said, from what I read in the past I don't think the 1JZ ecu has a immobilizer. You should be able to start the car regardless of what key you have.

I used to have a dc5 and back on clubrsx there was a huge debate about immobilizers. The problem was that if you were to use K-Pro it would eliminate the immobilizer and anyone would be able to start the car. There was a debate because basically if you had K-Pro a thief could hotwire your car and drive it off. With the stock ecu it had a built in immobilizer so even if somebody tried to hot wire it, it wouldn't start because it didn't sense the chip from the key. In the past few years, thieves have gotten smart and found a loop hole to the K-Pro. They just unplug the stock ecu, plug in a K-Pro and then drive off with your car. It's part of the reason why I decided not to get another Honda.

It's basically the same thing on our cars, just think of the 1JZ ecu like the K-Pro in the scenario I just provided. Without the immobilizer the car should just start regardless of what key you have.

It's just like ek9 said,
Quote:
If the 1JZ ECU doesn't have a built in immobilizer then the decision never needs to even be made. It'll just work.
You mentioned that you have a 2001 IS300, that's good because from what I read the swap is almost plug and play on that year. Look into 1jzgte and 2jzgte swaps for 98-00 GS300s. It's basically the same procedure for both cars so you'll see what others have done.

If you still can't figure it out, you can always reuse your existing GE harness on the 1jz and run it off the IS300 ecu. The IS300 ecu will start the car and run fine, but you'll need to add a piggyback or standalone to tune for boost.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Extremist

Quote:
It's part of the reason why I decided not to get another Honda.
Well, that and the fact the DC5's were broken out of the box. I mean primarily the front suspension which was totally compromised when they designed it. The earlier Honda's had far better suspensions but I guess Honda decided to save money. The K engines were sweet but, mated to a crippled chassis.

You know the whole theft thing is also another reason I kinda left Honda behind. They're easy to steal and Honda didn't get immobilizers till '01 which is 6 years behind BMW and many years behind GM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Well, that and the fact the DC5's were broken out of the box. I mean primarily the front suspension which was totally compromised when they designed it. The earlier Honda's had far better suspensions but I guess Honda decided to save money. The K engines were sweet but, mated to a crippled chassis.

You know the whole theft thing is also another reason I kinda left Honda behind. They're easy to steal and Honda didn't get immobilizers till '01 which is 6 years behind BMW and many years behind GM.
Yep not arguing with you there, the older Hondas had a double wishbone setup but then they switched to the MacPherson strut to save costs. In my opinion I thought the suspension setup in the em1 was far superior to the design in the dc5.

I left the Honda scene because I wrecked my dc5, but I'm kind of glad I just wrecked it instead of getting stolen. A few months after my wreck 3 local members on clubrsx got their cars stolen. They were later found in pieces about a year later when the cops busted a chopshop
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Extremist

Quote:
I left the Honda scene because I wrecked my dc5, but I'm kind of glad I just wrecked it instead of getting stolen. A few months after my wreck 3 local members on clubrsx got their cars stolen. They were later found in pieces about a year later when the cops busted a chopshop
I've been toying with the idea of getting an Accord coupe. Wish bone front and multi-link rear + immobilizer and more HP than the IS. You may find this odd but I really hate the jack points on my IS. I know it's a strange fixation but mine's up on the air alot so I notice. Even putting the jack stand on them seems to stress them. I used to put the stands under the frame rail under the driver and passenger seats but I noticed them bending too.

I was working on my daughters Fit this weekend and even it has better jack points.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Whoever told you that doesn't know what he's talking about.

1 - If the ECU doesn't have an Immobilizer then any key that fits the ignition will start the car. So, if the 1JZ has no immobilizer, you simply don't have to worry about it.
what u mean by any key is if I cut the same pattern into a different key and it would work as well?? (without the chip) Or literally any key? and what about the unlock/lock thing on our keys.. would that stop working completely if I used the 1jz ecu?

Quote:
2 - I'm skeptical that the 1JZ ECU will run your gauge cluster and/or the body computers so, if I was doing what you're planning on doing. I'd probably run the engine off the 1JZ ECU and in parallel figure some way to run the OEM ECU to run the cluster. You'd have to research this. The IS300 (and my GS400 drivetrain) use a ring bus called the "MX Bus" to talk to the gauge cluster. The GS400 speaks the correct language. Only the water temp gauge doesn't work.
all the plugs are the same in both ECU's.. but as u said.. if it doesnt work I will have to run bth ecu's or just run the 2JZ ecu and use a fuel management for the boost.. (I am planning on running completely stock boost by the way.. using it daily)

Quote:
Your best bet for making this work would probably be to find a VVTI 1JZ between 98 and 200X. I'm not an expert at 1JZ swaps. I just know how the immobilizer works and how the 2JZ ECU talks to the cluster (because I had to rewire my IS300 for the V8 swap).
I already have the engine.. lol, but I am just extremely confused on the immobilizer crap..

If I had no choice but to run the 2JZ ECU by itself.. what fuel management system would u recommend that wouldn't be a pain in the butt to the factory ecu.. I've researched going turbo on my GE but anyone not running a full standalone always had problems with the factory ecu fighting the piggyback for control.. and I also would love if it were plug n play lol..

(I'm asking for a lot I know lol)

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Extremist

Quote:
all the plugs are the same in both ECU's.. but as u said.. if it doesnt work I will have to run bth ecu's or just run the 2JZ ecu and use a fuel management for the boost.. (I am planning on running completely stock boost by the way.. using it daily)
The connectors that go to the engine harness don't need to be touched. The other connectors, the ones that connect through the jumper connectors and to the body harness need to be checked pin by pin. If you just plug this into your harness, you'll probably fry the ECU. I had a 6 page spread sheet of pinouts for my V8 swap.

You need to read up on how the immobilizer works. It's pretty clear you don't understand what I'm telling you, that it's a non-issue. I'll be honest, the Immobilizer is the least of your problems right now. Until you've gotten wiring diagrams for each ECU and compared them pin by pin, you shouldn't do anything.

The 1UZ ECU was identical in appearance to the 2JZ one. I mean exactly identical. If it wasn't for the sticker which identified the ECU you couldn't tell which was which. I'd say I had to repin 50% of the body pins and I had to re-do the jumper connectors (the connectors that sit above the ECU in the ECU box).

Will the stock ECU even run a 1JZ throttlebody?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
The connectors that go to the engine harness don't need to be touched. The other connectors, the ones that connect through the jumper connectors and to the body harness need to be checked pin by pin. If you just plug this into your harness, you'll probably fry the ECU. I had a 6 page spread sheet of pinouts for my V8 swap.

You need to read up on how the immobilizer works. It's pretty clear you don't understand what I'm telling you, that it's a non-issue. I'll be honest, the Immobilizer is the least of your problems right now. Until you've gotten wiring diagrams for each ECU and compared them pin by pin, you shouldn't do anything.

The 1UZ ECU was identical in appearance to the 2JZ one. I mean exactly identical. If it wasn't for the sticker which identified the ECU you couldn't tell which was which. I'd say I had to repin 50% of the body pins and I had to re-do the jumper connectors (the connectors that sit above the ECU in the ECU box).

Will the stock ECU even run a 1JZ throttlebody?
Ok, I hear you.. Will do.. just trying to get a head start on this.. thanks.

the 1jz throttlebody is also ETCS-I so I don't really see any reason it wouldnt work..

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Aficionado

This thread might point you in the right direction

Swap Guide: JZX110/JZS171 1JZGTE VVTi into 02-05 IS300

Lucas posted the pinout for the jzx110 ecu to the 02-05 IS300 body harness. Just find a 01 pinout and match up the wires.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

The ecu also came with 2 body harness plugs (cut) original to the car it came out of so this should make life easier if I were to go with the 1jz ecu right? Assuming the colors are all standard stuff in all toyotas lol.. But I will do a lot more research.. Thanks for the info guys

I will check that thread out blkaltezza thanks.. I havent checked up on it in a while.. Will see what new posts they have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459808565255.jpg
Views:	1630
Size:	900.6 KB
ID:	95049  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Assuming the colors are all standard stuff in all toyotas lol.. But I will do a lot more research.. Thanks for the info guys
Yeah, you'd assume wrong. They even use the same color for different function. Before I knew that Toyota re-used colors, I depinned a connector. I had to figure out which pin was which for the idential colored once by process of elimination.

Quote:
the 1jz throttlebody is also ETCS-I so I don't really see any reason it wouldnt work..
I wouldn't make that assumption. If they engine is VVTI then I'd say it's more likely than not. I'd want to see the pinouts first though.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek9b18 View Post
i wouldn't make that assumption. If they engine is vvti then i'd say it's more likely than not. I'd want to see the pinouts first though.
1jz-gte vvti

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page